PDA

View Full Version : Day off, spent it on Mixit3

Rob C
March 11th, 2009, 03:27 AM
So I'm pretty late to this party, I know. I had a day off from the studio today so I wanted to try to put PT Mpowered 8 through its paces. I really liked MM's raw tracks, so I did as little dynamics and EQ processing to the tracks as I could get away with in the mix time I had available while my girlfriend was at pilates.. haha.

Looking forward to mixit4. Hope my posting this mix is okay by forum rules.

strangedays
March 12th, 2009, 09:39 AM
wo different mix. Whilst its very different and some of the effects are little out of place there are some interesting ideas in there.

However its worth having a go to mix this song without the use of the gimmicks as in my view the song has enough drive in it to keep the listener glued, excitement should be created through the balance and the emotion of the song.

This does not mean there isn't work to do on it. Can you effectivly mix the song without all the effects and tricks in the mix?

Rob C
March 12th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I'm sure I could, but that's something I'd rather do on my TDM system. Truth be told, this was sort of an excuse to try out the new AIR plugs in PT8 (Mpowered). Since it was an old mixit the "pressure was off" so to speak. The song didn't grab me, even though it was expertly recorded, so it was time to have some fun.

Could you elaborate on the "effects out of place" comment a little bit? Most of my mix decisions were drastic, I agree, but this definitely isn't a radio song and I mixed it more like an art piece, I guess. (Ignore the one snare hit that is right-heavy, I fixed that shortly after bouncing this version of the mix).

tannoy
March 12th, 2009, 10:56 PM
...ahm...what is this MiXiT! 3 - thingy you guys keep on talking about ? I can't find a single thread about it here....

:icon_eek:

Marco

MacGregor
March 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
...ahm...what is this MiXiT! 3 - thingy you guys keep on talking about ? I can't find a single thread about it here....

:icon_eek:

Marco

http://thewombforums.com/showpost.php?p=129318&postcount=12

Maybe you should have taken the blue pill.

Mac

strangedays
March 12th, 2009, 11:18 PM
One thing I have learnt, and this is where the art thing comes into play, is that mix decisions art or not need to work with the song in mind.

Just to mention I liked the panned vocals I though that was quite cool, and if it was just chance to play wiht a few effects thats also fine.

But there is not reason why you cant just pull of a mix on a basic system on this song as most of the legwork was done for you, get the bass upfront and go from there.

tannoy
March 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
http://thewombforums.com/showpost.php?p=129318&postcount=12

Maybe you should have taken the blue pill

:lol:

MacMorpheus, you're right....

Aaaah, I nearly can't remember that one....:D

Marco

MacGregor
March 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM
MacMorpheus...

Hehehe:

tannoy
March 13th, 2009, 01:04 AM
...hohoho.....

Rob C
March 13th, 2009, 02:11 AM
One thing I have learnt, and this is where the art thing comes into play, is that mix decisions art or not need to work with the song in mind.

Just to mention I liked the panned vocals I though that was quite cool, and if it was just chance to play wiht a few effects thats also fine.

But there is not reason why you cant just pull of a mix on a basic system on this song as most of the legwork was done for you, get the bass upfront and go from there.

I thought it totally served the song. I definitely respect where you're coming from, though. That said, I didn't want to do a "regular" (if there is such a thing) mix, since that's what I do all day at work and very rarely do I get the occasion to try stuff since I'm always on a budget and a solid mix usually hits the budget ceiling well before an "ear candy" mix.

And I'm also not really saying that I *can't* mix on an LE system.. it's just that I don't think I'd ever wish myself to do it. I love my UAD2 and Duende like crutches, I don't mix without them.

But, all effects and craziness aside, if you had some suggestions on the mix other than "why don't you do it differently" I'd absolutely love the opportunity to learn. That's why I'm here.

strangedays
March 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I think thats what I am trying to suggest by concentrating more on the raw mix. The Matrix suggestions above should give you a hint as to what I mean when I say I feel they are a bit out of place!

I'm always on a budget and a solid mix usually hits the budget ceiling well before an "ear candy" mix.

Im sure many here feel the same. You are lucky to have a budget. But what do you mean by ear candy mix? Are you saying if you had the budget you would risk your mixes with random effects?

If you feel more confident mixing on your duende and UAD stick to your guns.

You ask for an opportunity to learn, Im definitly still learning bags of stuff on these forums, and there is loads here to get your teeth into - plus the folks here are amazing.

But you gotta just open up to the critique, perhaps you don't like my point of view, thats fine but make sure you can justify this to yourself.

I'm one of the worst round here for excuses! It just gets in the way.

SD

Rob C
March 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Oh, I'm definitely up for critique. If I wanted people to say "oh wow, that mix is brilliant" I would have just burned a copy for my mom.

I think our mix discussion is coming to a bit of a standstill because I see what I did as creative and making the song more interesting to listen to, but you see it as being a mix that doesn't serve the song. That's totally cool, this stuff is completely subjective.

My "ear candy" comment, and I'm sure you've all come across this, is simply that the client pays for a mix that sounds good but usually isn't going to have the time, inclination, or available cash to spend a half hour or so going through different delays on a backing part. I think in lush modern mix, there's a lot going on in the background that requires attention, and that's what's missing in the "solid mix" versus the "ear candy" mix.

Fun thread, though, thanks guys.

strangedays
March 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
creative and interesting does not necessary have to be obvious.

However you seem to feel the conversation is at a standstill.

Rob C
March 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I feel it's at a standstill because we're talking "about" the mix, but not necessarily about any specifics that I would consider useful. How you feel overall about the direction I took with this mix is clear, and good on you, you're entitled to it. Personally, I think I made the song better; agree or disagree, that's totally fine.

I suppose what I'm trying to say here is if you have something useful to add about the actual mix that I've posted here then please continue the critique, but if you want to make generalizations about the overall "feel" that I've chosen, well, that's not very helpful to me because we're dealing with a difference in taste here and not something that will actually better a second bounce of this mix.

qharley
March 13th, 2009, 11:12 PM
And now for the rebroadcast...

:lol: Nice Mac!

tannoy
March 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
And now for the rebroadcast...

...baah...way too much details revealed on that one, Q. - someone should uninstall those graphic-applications from your comp....:grin:

Marco

Rautio
March 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
Just had to have a go too :D

Spent about 8 hours alltogether in three evenings.

Static mix, no moves really.

Let me know what you think, and what you would have done differently.

Oh yeah... mixed ITB with Digital Performer 6, stock plugins.

AndyGallas
March 21st, 2009, 11:50 PM
Let me know what you think, and what you would have done differently.

It's really interesting to see how different everyone connects to the emotions of this song. Recently I also downloaded the tracks and did a roughmix for fun. It feels totally different to yours! My focus was all about a punchy rhythm where you have a big focus on the rhodes. Funnily enough the rhodes is one of my least favorit elements. I muted it partly even in the roughmix, just didn't like how it smears the punch.

The vocal-effect you did is very cool and vibey! What exactly did you do? :Thumbsup:

Rautio
March 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
I really dig what you did with the drums Andy! The comp really brings out the groove!

Itīs so great to see how differently we all approach our mixes, cant wait till we get to MixIt 4 :Coolio:

The vocal chain was:

MOTU Leveler -> Delay (L 18ms, R 17ms, both about 25%) -> EQ -> Multiband comp (for some de-ess).

Then some plate from Altiverb 6.

Oops... wasnīt ALL stock plugins like I said :Roll eyes:

Thereīs very slight distortion and chorus on the Rhodes, guess the sound I got there kind of inspired me to build the mix around the rhodes. Also... distortion on the B3 :lol:

AndyGallas
March 23rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hey Rautio, thanks for sharing your vocalchain!

The distored B3 sounds very cool, I like that aggressiveness.
I wished I could work out my roughmix more to share also some ideas but freetime is really an issue for me right now. Hopefully I find more time for the MixIt 4 mix.

/Andy

DM_KI
April 7th, 2009, 10:56 AM
HI! My name is Dmitriy.What are you think about my mix!
Thanks!
:grin:
PT 8 LE
Plugins:McDsp,Antares,Waves,Nomad Factory.

DM_KI
April 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
m4a

Rautio
April 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hi Dmitriy!

I dig the vocal sound which I think you balanced better within the mix than I did, but I feel that the flanger on the guitar eats away rather than contributes to the song.

:Thumbsup:

houston_fred
April 8th, 2009, 01:32 AM
hey,

great job.

i thought everything was very well balanced.

sounded very professional.

DM_KI
April 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Hey guys! Many thanks for your remarks! Apropos flanger on a guitar I had doubts, is valid it is audible. It is my mistake.

Thanks.