PDA

View Full Version : My Personal Site - More Perusals Please

Mo Facta
February 12th, 2011, 10:11 PM
http://gregbester.xp3.biz (http://gregbester.xp3.biz)

Built it myself and hopefully now it's centered and straight forward.

Please take a look and gimme some feedback.

Thanks gents.

Cheers :)

meLoCo_go
February 12th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Pretty good. Readable and everything where it feels it needs to be.
The only problem I had was the connection.
Didn't work all well for me.

Mo Facta
February 12th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Pretty good. Readable and everything where it feels it needs to be.
The only problem I had was the connection.
Didn't work all well for me.

Was it slow?

It's a free web-hosting server so that could be the cause. You get what you pay for. Or what you don't pay for, in this case.

Heh heh.

I chose the server because it allowed a relatively short extension (.xp3.biz) and didn't have any banners. And it's been working pretty well for most connections I've viewed it on over here.

MacGregor
February 12th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Was it slow?

It's a free web-hosting server so that could be the cause. You get what you pay for. Or what you don't pay for, in this case.

Nice and pretty straight forward, but to slow. Every other click results in a timeout.
For personal use okay, but as professional service unacceptable.

I'd invest those 5-10 bucks a month for a real provider.

Mac

Dave Perry
February 13th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Site looks good, stuff loaded semi-slow, but fast enough on my end.

I have to put my image of you as looking like Johnny Depp out of my mind now, though. I always associate people on forums with their avatar, if they have one. I seriously think meLoCo_go looks like that wacky guy, or whatever it is, he has. :)

MacGregor
February 13th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I have to put my image of you as looking like Johnny Depp out of my mind now, though. I always associate people on forums with their avatar, if they have one. I seriously think meLoCo_go looks like that wacky guy, or whatever it is, he has. :)

You really thought Aardy looks like this?
http://thewombforums.com/image.php?u=7&dateline=1254011687

:headpalm:

Mac

Dave Perry
February 13th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Probably in a subliminal way, yea. :lol: BTW, who is that? Madonna?

Tim Halligan
February 13th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Yes...that is indeed the material cocksocket.

Anyhoo, the site seems fine, and I had no problems with the connection. Maybe it's a southern hemisphere thing...the signal doesn't have to climb the hill to the equator...

Cheers,
Tim

Mo Facta
February 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Yes...that is indeed the material cocksocket.

Anyhoo, the site seems fine, and I had no problems with the connection. Maybe it's a southern hemisphere thing...the signal doesn't have to climb the hill to the equator...

Cheers,
Tim

Good to know, Tim. I also haven't had any connection problems this side of the world. Loads fast and completely normally here.

My main goal with the site is for people (mainly in South Africa) to get more information about me and listen to my work. Sort of an online portfolio/information site. The domain is now on my business cards so if I change domains, I'll have to get new cards.

Thanks for your comments. I'll take them into consideration.

meLoCo_go
February 13th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I seriously think meLoCo_go looks like that wacky guy, or whatever it is, he has. :)
Well, if you jump on my toe I would!

Dave Perry
February 13th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Be careful, I might do that if I ever meet you, just to test the effect. Evil!

Goes211
February 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM
On the bio page, you've got a dark grey background behind the white text : on my Mac / Firefox, the dark grey background isn't long enough, the text continues on the pic behind (right at "Mixing and mastering") and is nearly unreadable as it's white on white.

Audio~Geek
February 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I'd get rid of that counter, Firefox aborted loading it after 21 seconds. Page loads in 33 seconds. That's incredibly slow. The other pages seem to load better.
Use Google Analytics instead.

Don't really like the design but at least it doesn't look crap and say "made on a Mac". I think you'd be better off using one of the many free templates out there.

All that info could easily be displayed on one page, see my site for an example.

Mo Facta
February 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I'd get rid of that counter, Firefox aborted loading it after 21 seconds. Page loads in 33 seconds. That's incredibly slow. The other pages seem to load better.
Use Google Analytics instead.

Don't really like the design but at least it doesn't look crap and say "made on a Mac". I think you'd be better off using one of the many free templates out there.

All that info could easily be displayed on one page, see my site for an example.

Heh heh. FWIW, 33 seconds in our country is blisteringly fast. I guess people here aren't as put off by slow internet speeds because everyone deals with it. Good to note, though, thanks.

And yeah, this is sort of more of an experiment at this point so thanks for the all the critique guys, I appreciate it.

Think I'm just gonna pay for a server and have a friend who does this shit professionally design me something stable, fast and simple.

MKZ
February 14th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Quickly went through the menu on your site and had no problems with any one of them loading slow. Seemed fast/normal to me.

Dave Perry
February 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Yep. Tim Halligan looks like a jar of Vegemite and you look like......

A mystical mandala...oooooo, trippy.....:grin:

Belive it or not, that's just a picture of the inside dome of some government bulding that someone put through a Photoshop kaleidoscope effect. :)

Mo Facta
July 7th, 2011, 06:50 PM
So I got a friend of mine who does web design for a living to redesign my website. I think he slickified it nicely.

Please take another look and let me know what you think:

http://gregbester.xp3.biz (http://gregbester.xp3.biz)

Thanks guys.

MKZ
July 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Looks good and seems to be working fine

TenaciousJ
July 7th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Site looks good, but the photo gallery is annoying.

The thumbnails are pretty small, so I decide to just browse them one by one.

Click the first photo, it comes in at an angle. I want to see it straight on, so center the cursor and it's flat again.

Now I want to see the next one, so I move my mouse over to the far right (photos tilt again) and click. New photo comes in but if I want to see it straight on I need to move my cursor back to the center.

Now when I get to the end of that group (6 photos), I need to move my cursor to the left side to click the first one of the next group.

So browsing them means you are constantly moving your cursor from the right side to the center, and occasionally to the left side. IMO a good gallery has a fixed position "next" button so it's easy to scroll through them.

I'd suggest dropping the Tiltviewer gallery for something simpler. Bonus points for not using Flash so people can view on their phones.

Ugh now I see that is used for "Links" as well. It's even worse in that capacity!

Oh, one other thing, this one is easy. On Bio, change "I have experience in the following…" to third-person to fit with the rest of the copy.

You could also cut out "As aforementioned" under studio, it reads awkwardly to me.

Overall very good though! Nice clean design.

Mo Facta
July 8th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Site looks good, but the photo gallery is annoying.

The thumbnails are pretty small, so I decide to just browse them one by one.

Click the first photo, it comes in at an angle. I want to see it straight on, so center the cursor and it's flat again.

Now I want to see the next one, so I move my mouse over to the far right (photos tilt again) and click. New photo comes in but if I want to see it straight on I need to move my cursor back to the center.

Now when I get to the end of that group (6 photos), I need to move my cursor to the left side to click the first one of the next group.

So browsing them means you are constantly moving your cursor from the right side to the center, and occasionally to the left side. IMO a good gallery has a fixed position "next" button so it's easy to scroll through them.

I'd suggest dropping the Tiltviewer gallery for something simpler. Bonus points for not using Flash so people can view on their phones.

Ugh now I see that is used for "Links" as well. It's even worse in that capacity!

Oh, one other thing, this one is easy. On Bio, change "I have experience in the following…" to third-person to fit with the rest of the copy.

You could also cut out "As aforementioned" under studio, it reads awkwardly to me.

Overall very good though! Nice clean design.

Thanks for your comments.

However, it's a flash player so if you right click, you can go into fullscreen mode. I liked the fact that you could swivel the photo round and link to whatever it's about.

But yeah, the webmaster and I debated this issue for quite a while and most of these issues regarding the tiltviewer came up. I'll chat with him again, thanks.