PDA

View Full Version : 360 deals/americal idol/band idol/rockband

cwatkins
February 12th, 2011, 11:59 PM
So, I was listening to hours of the radio shows.
I'm a better person for that rare entertainment.

So, if American Idol/Disney/(I'll add Rockband game re/mixes) are getting all the $, why on earth do they not do a "Band Idol"?
I understand that the TV bigwigs would be worried about the legistics, and I know VH1C is making $ doing concerts of popular people, is there a reason I'm not realizing to why they don't have a Band Idol? I mean, to me it would be FAR more interesting than the single bad signers.
Yeah, they do it regionally, but it is one of the only ways to make bands popular at that scale. Say, letting 60 miillion people hear it at least once.
One good thing is if it doesn't happen, we'll never have "new" rockstars and I do NOT count disney in that. CD's from those shows is a afterthought in many ways anyway.
So, I love old re-runs of the british old grey whistle test,
they are just trying it "american idol not in britian" Why in the
heck don't they do a american version? Not a hack job but a decision to pump huge amounts of cash into the next popular show.

Anyway, just a rant on said subject as I am deeply sad by the state of things.

Radio Q: if you guys read this...
Slipperman mentioned Timesharing; I noticed you guys called
your names "handles", so which ones of you here early computer / Phone Phreaks too? .. Novation Apple][at?
Just seemed to bring back memories of the times.

nobby
February 13th, 2011, 02:03 AM
is there a reason I'm not realizing to why they don't have a Band Idol? I mean, to me it would be FAR more interesting than the single bad signers.

I might actually watch that.

I think it's just more time consuming and unwieldy to set up bands than it is to have someone walk up to a mic.

Dave Perry
February 13th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Part of it is that, with singers, they know they can rely on established material and backing tracks (or backing band in the case of the later Idol rounds) not completely sucking. They can also cycle through different types of material for each singer, for more variety.

They do want things to suck at times, but I think they want to have more control over that aspect so they can have the clown segment for a while and then bring on the "talent" segment when they so desire.

cwatkins
February 13th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Right, I mentioned the tech issues; say 3 commercials, 3 bands.
Just like a live show, I mean they scam AI all the time, they could setup 2 sucky bands and then one good one. Change genre as
they wish, etc..

So, TV is lazy and unexperimental... Yup.

Too bad, I think it's something that could work.
Cause top of the pops did, whistle test were usually established bands already...

Dave Perry
February 13th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Yea, it's a good question. Cowell actually is at least somewhat experimental (e.g. Britain's Got Talent), so I wouldn't rule out that he might eventually try a Band Idol.

The fact is that bands are just as likely to get popular as singers, so from a record sales standpoint it would make sense to try that angle too.

I think part of the Idol thing was trying to play up the individual looks/style/charisma aspect of a single singer, which gets a bit more complicated with a band (unless they have a really charismatic front man/woman).

Damage, Inc.
February 13th, 2011, 03:52 AM
VH1 had a great idea some years ago with Bands on the Run...four unknown bands went from town to town playing shows and promoting them as best as possible with next to no budget. Great show, which is probably why it never came back after the first season.

Tim Halligan
February 13th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Too bad, I think it's something that could work.
Cause top of the pops did, whistle test were usually established bands already...

Well...as far as I can remember TOTP was all about signed artists, and it was all mimed.

The Old Grey Whistle Test was also about signed artists, but they actually played live, and there was only one or two bands per show if memory serves.

The current model for live bands is probably Later...with Jools Holland, but again that's for signed artists.

Cheers,
Tim

Dave Perry
February 13th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Another major element to keep in mind is how long these things run as the different elimination rounds take place. Most bands would run out of material, whereas it's not hard for a competent singer to quickly learn new songs.

cwatkins
February 13th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Right, so it would be about unsigned. I didn't know VH1 tried a something, but the point is it would have to be as big as IA to be successful.
If a band can't learn a cover in a week say; then they PROBABLY suck.
If they don't have 7+ songs they PROBABLY suck.
So, I can see why those TV guys freak out, could be messy.
Might be funny though.

Well, it was an idea; Just sad to see industry die and no chance
for kiddies.

Dave Perry
February 13th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I guess I shouldn't have said "most bands", since some of them probably have scads of material, both original and cover.

You mentioned logistics, but I'm not sure if you thought about the early audition process. Singers literally walk in and sing a cappella in front of the judges to see if they will get into the first round. If bands had to come in and set up their gear, it would take longer. They could come in and plug into a provided set of amps and a provided keyboard, but the drummer would be using a kit he/she wasn't familiar with, etc.It would be a much slower process to audition large numbers of bands.

Bob Olhsson
February 13th, 2011, 07:16 AM
It's lots lots cheaper for them to use a group of top notch pro musicians rather than dealing with bands that are relative beginners. Today is a lot more like 1960 than like 1970 or 1980.

Dave Perry
February 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Yea, you've got to factor in how many presentable (young) bands are out there these days. Young is key since they aren't going to let 45 year olds doing Thin Lizzy covers on.

cwatkins
February 13th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Right Bob, But I was hoping it would be a whole band experience
against another instead of being like the thing they did with a
"new singer for the SuperStar Band" Which, I suppose
they did try as a series with the nugent thing.

qharley
February 13th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I might actually watch that.

I think it's just more time consuming and unwieldy to set up bands than it is to have someone walk up to a mic.

I think it's doable... Anyone heard of floating stage :Wink:
They could set up all the bands competing the day before, and with wireless connectivity nowadays, you even only need to set up the drum kit.

Then again, we have more than enough Fame&Fortune shows on TV. If everyone is special, no one is.

G cubed
February 13th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Or, they could always do this. :lol:

ukjnrXTTvPY

Tim Halligan
February 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM
...a "new singer for the SuperStar Band" Which, I suppose they did try as a series with the nugent thing.

And the INXS thing too.

Still...before this idea gets too out of hand, let's just pause to remember what these kinds of shows are really all about:

They are about getting the public to make expensive phone calls...and the thing the producers care LEAST about is the actual content. As long as the phone keeps ringing, their coffers keep filling.

Isn't that right Simon Cowell?

:Confused:

Cheers,
Tim

Dave Perry
February 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM
He accidentally produces a pretty entertaining show now and again, though, and I'm not even talking about the freak-of-the-week.

Cowell also like to sell records, so that has to be factored into any analysis of the Idol enterprise. I think I remeber hearing that X Factor is opening up shop in the US, which explains why he left Idol, so he apparently hasn't given up on the model yet.

radiationroom
February 13th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Cowell also like to sell records,

I would guess so. Isn't he under contract with Sony-BMG as a producer?

Dave Perry
February 14th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I don't think he produces but I could be wrong. He does have almost his own mini-label under Sony-BMG called Syco. He is an incredibly "successful" A&R just in terms of the sheer power within the greater corporate structure he has, and he makes a lot of money.

bobzilla77
February 23rd, 2011, 01:46 AM
I liked Bands On The Run a lot, since I relate to that experience. Though it has to be said that none of the bands were actually very good, I don't know if they were necessarily worse than any random three virgin signings.

But I found that while me & my rocker friends got obsessed with it, no one else I talked to had any interest, and when we tried to show it to non-band people they got bored.

It's easier to play the game of picking favorites and rooting for them with singers who are doing familiar material. No one wants to watch unknown bands play original material on national TV.

nobby
February 23rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
I confess that I don't get it. I watched BOTR and to me it was more interesting than most of the other reality programs.

Programs about New Jersey housewives, building motorcycles, rebuilding houses, etc. don't really appeal to me, but I guess I'm not mainstream.

CloseToTheEdge
February 24th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Frankly, I think the band is no more than excess baggage in their minds. More to go wrong as they lead their new cash cows to slaughter.

The way they are doing it, the band has no identity and any cooperative sideman can fill the role. All he needs is a faux-hawk, some chops, and a willingness to sign their performance contract. And women need not apply, since they might get some of the spotlight (read: power). If it was an actual band, the members would become somewhat important with the fanbase and that would only complicate things for those really making the decisions.

They have come so close to killing everything appealing about mainstream music already. Making the idea of the "band" obsolete would seem to be the next logical step.

Smileyblue
February 25th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Fox network already did this back in August 2007.

They had 6000 audition tapes sent in. It was adjudicated by Australian Idol judge Ian "Dicko" Dickson, Sheila E., and John Rzeznik of The Goo Goo Dolls.

The Winner was a band called "The Clark Brothers"

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page. It only ran 1 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Next_Great_American_Band

I wonder why it was canceled?

nobby
February 25th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Fox network already did this back in August 2007.

They had 6000 audition tapes sent in. It was adjudicated by Australian Idol judge Ian "Dicko" Dickson, Sheila E., and John Rzeznik of The Goo Goo Dolls.

The Winner was a band called "The Clark Brothers"

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page. It only ran 1 season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Next_Great_American_Band

I wonder why it was canceled?

I would have watched it if I had known it existed. But if I didn't like the band, well...

Meanwhile, what's one of the most watched reality shows?

Dirty Jobs.

Hmm... people watching other people who are in a situation they would prefer to experience vicariously, if at all.

Anyway, I have to switch on CNN and see what's going on in Libya...