PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt for a REDS October...(Baseball thread 2011)

Pages : [1] 2 3

jerryskid
February 16th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Pitchers and Catchers reported today!!!!!!!

'Nuff said..

GO REDS!!

iCombs
February 16th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Here's hoping for a second fresh Division pennant flying over Target Field...and perhaps an actual playoff showing for the Twins this year??

If Justin Morneau stays unhurt...the team remains mostly unchanged from last year (Thome's gone, but hopefully a helthy Morneau makes that a moot point)...and I'm thinking we can have us a successful season of baseball here in the Great White North...

jerryskid
February 16th, 2011, 02:00 AM
The REDS have brought back pretty much the same team, though most of them are kids with experience...if Jay Bruce starts off as hot as he was at the end of the season, look for a major run for the pennant from the REDS....:Wink:

Fulcrum
February 16th, 2011, 03:12 AM

Our guys reported yesterday.

Slackers.

PRobb
February 16th, 2011, 04:01 AM
As much as it kills me to say it, the Philies rotation is gonna make them awfully tough to beat.

G. Hoffman
February 16th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Here's hoping for a second fresh Division pennant flying over Target Field...and perhaps an actual playoff showing for the Twins this year??

If Justin Morneau stays unhurt...the team remains mostly unchanged from last year (Thome's gone, but hopefully a helthy Morneau makes that a moot point)...and I'm thinking we can have us a successful season of baseball here in the Great White North...

Unless something has happened that wasn't in the news, Thome's back. I can't remember if its a two year deal that he probably won't finish, or a one year deal with an option that probably won't be taken, but he's back with us, and for a still damn reasonable $3 million, which on a HR/$ ratio is pretty damn fine for the MLB.

Go TWINS!!!!

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
February 16th, 2011, 04:13 AM
As much as it kills me to say it, the Philies rotation is gonna make them awfully tough to beat.

Scary, isn't it?

Gabriel

jerryskid
February 16th, 2011, 06:38 AM
What's great about HOT STOVE....is you don't know.......Phillies look unbeatable this year.....BUT.....there's six months of the field.....and it's brutal...I see hurt arms and high spains.....you never know.....that's why the Phillies aren't awarded the pennant on opening day......it's the drive...the feel....God April come soon.........:Confused:

Tyrus
February 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM
My White Sox finally got rid of the fatass closer.

Cubs still suck.

If the Twins take the AL Central again, PLEASE give us a decent display in the postseason, its bad enough we gotta see you guys play such stellar baseball during the regular season.

And the Cubs always have, always will, suck.

G. Hoffman
February 16th, 2011, 10:14 AM
My White Sox finally got rid of the fatass closer.

Cubs still suck.

If the Twins take the AL Central again, PLEASE give us a decent display in the postseason, its bad enough we gotta see you guys play such stellar baseball during the regular season.

We'll surely try.

And the Cubs always have, always will, suck.

But they sure have a pretty field!

Gabriel

Tyrus
February 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
But they sure have a pretty field!
Gabriel

I'll give em that, Despite being a White Sox fan, I would honestly prefer to go to games at Wrigley than the Cell. Just a better atmosphere, neighborhood, vibe...ah, hell who am I kidding? There are way more and prettier girls at Wrigley Field.

Still doesn't mean i like the Cubs.

To jerryskids liking, if I go for the baseball, I always go when the Reds are in town, that way I have a real team to root for in that stadium.

Tim Armstrong
February 16th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I have no feel yet for how my Nationals are gonna be this year, but I feel cautiously optimistic that they will continue to improve.

The Orioles are very possibly the sleeper team in the AL East, but again, it's easy to make optimistic projections in February!

Tim

clicktrack
February 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM
The Jays have an interesting season this year.

Young team.

But you know, Anthopolous has my trust in trying to build a winner. He managed to offload one of the worst contracts in history, and in the process attract some interesting young talent to TO.

I'm looking forward to seeing the young bucks outpitch the overpriced underperforming Yankees staff.

So, Go Jays Go!!!

PRobb
February 16th, 2011, 07:39 PM
What's great about HOT STOVE....is you don't know.......Phillies look unbeatable this year.....BUT.....there's six months of the field.....and it's brutal...I see hurt arms and high spains.....you never know.....that's why the Phillies aren't awarded the pennant on opening day......it's the drive...the feel....God April come soon.........:Confused:

What he said.
OK, children, show of hands.
This time last year, who had Giants/Rangers?
Anybody?
:grin::lol:

PRobb
February 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I never really felt sorry for Cubs fans. It always seemed like the contract was pretty clear.
You get the beautiful ballpark, you get the day games, you get the great atmosphere, the team is gonna suck.
Until the last decade, the BoSox were the angst champs. Thy kept dangling success in your face and then snatching it away in operatically tragic fashion.

G. Hoffman
February 16th, 2011, 09:45 PM
The Orioles are very possibly the sleeper team in the AL East, but again, it's easy to make optimistic projections in February!

No no no. They are the SLEEPING team.

Gabriel

clicktrack
February 17th, 2011, 06:13 AM
No no no. They are the SLEEPING team.

Gabriel

One of the few times Gabriel and I see eye to eye.

:)

4th&15
February 18th, 2011, 09:58 PM

'Nuff said..

GO REDS!!

Sorry dude but it's
ACE'S AND CATCHERS...

GO PHIL'S...

Bivouac
February 18th, 2011, 10:24 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/powerrankings

jerryskid
March 4th, 2011, 05:43 AM
REDS are looking pretty good in the spring...come on April!!!

Unfcknblvbl
March 5th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Go 'Stros.
Go Red Sox.

The :finger:Yankees:fingerlefty: still suck. Can't wait to see what fresh hell will be heaped on A. Rod for being fed popcorn.

http://icydk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/cam-feeds-arod.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Aardvark
March 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM
The :finger:Yankees:fingerlefty: still suck. Can't wait to see what fresh hell will be heaped on A. Rod for being fed popcorn. :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, a few hundred million in the bank and Carmen Diaz hand-feeding you... gotta be very tough for him:Roll eyes:.

The real Yankee fun will be the pitching staff and in particular A.J. Burnedyet who, as I recall last year, was accurately predicted by a certain brilliant scribe here as only winning a dozen games or less.

Can't wait to see him coughing up big leads and tossing fat hangers over the plate... at the better part of 20 million per.:headpalm:

I predict that this season he doesn't get ten wins as a Yankee and is out of the starting rotation by June... maybe July.

As an added prediction bonus I suggest his failure and the impending problems with Jeter's diminishing skills will convince C.C. to bail at the end of the year in search of a team whose average age is less than forty.

Cheers,
JaysandRaysVark

Fulcrum
March 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM
At the moment, I'm not going to predict a World Championship for the Yankees. Too many question marks at catcher and the starting rotation. And then there's Jeter, who never had the greatest range to begin with and I think may find himself in the outfield before the season is out.

But managers who decide to make the starters throw lots and lots of pitches may yet be sorry they did that, because the bullpen is a lot stronger this year. And there's still the offense one to nine.

I think they'll at least make the post-season again, and that the Jays and Rays will fold under the weight of everyone's expectations. They'll probably lose either in the ALDS or the ALCS.

Oh, and the Red Sox can still blow me.

Unfcknblvbl
March 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah, a few hundred million in the bank and Carmen Diaz hand-feeding you...gotta be very tough for him.

As well as popcorn-related practical jokes/torment from his teammates, coaches, sportswriters, fans, and - oh yeah - opponents the rest of his career.

He knows (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/08/alex-rodriguez-ballistic-popcorn-diaz_n_820388.html) he is in for a world of hurt and distraction, especially if he continues to keep the bat on his shoulder or swing lazily while blaming the hip surgery.

Fulcrum
March 7th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Although not that it matters, he's having a great spring training.. extra-base hits in each of his last five or six games.

Is it true popcorn makes you stronger?

Tyrus
March 8th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Will Jake Peavey get a surgery named after him?

Love to see him back in Cy Young form, unfortunately that was 4 years ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6182437

ChiSox!

jerryskid
March 9th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I always thought Peavey was a class act....I would love to see him back in his old form.....though if he was in the NL Central, I wouldn't root for him so much......;)

John Eppstein
March 9th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Giants look pretty good..... (SHIT! I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this crap!)

Maybe Giants vs. Red Sox this year? Or maybe Yankees.....

jerryskid
March 9th, 2011, 07:27 AM
REDS pitchers aren't hurt.... (http://www.latimes.com/sports/sns-sn-mlb-brewers-greinke-030811,0,3465509.story)

Cards lost two of them.... (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/sports/baseball/02bats.html)

Take the REDS in the NL Central..... :-)

jerryskid
March 24th, 2011, 08:23 PM
One more week till opening day.....I'm excited!!!

Strat+AC30
March 26th, 2011, 01:17 AM
One more week till opening day.....I'm excited!!!It can't come soon enough.

Go any team that includes the word "red". The Yankees can go screw themselves.

G. Hoffman
March 26th, 2011, 05:11 AM
A week away from opening day, and our overnight low is supposed to be 12 tonight.

You know, we may come to regret the lack of a roof after all!

Of course, we have two weeks before the home opener, which will hopefully help!

Gabriel

jerryskid
March 31st, 2011, 01:40 PM
FINALLY!!!....The long winter is over and the boys of summer have come north to play...I love opening day more than Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving put together...The so called experts would have you think that we should just hand Boston and Philadelphia the championships and just play the World Series, but there are 162 games to be played and right now, everyone is tied for first....It's a long season, and who knows what will happen? It's now time to sit in the sun with a hot dog and a cold beer, watching the greatest game ever invented. Welcome spring, and WELCOME baseball!!!!

PRobb
March 31st, 2011, 05:51 PM
FINALLY!!!....The long winter is over and the boys of summer have come north to play...I love opening day more than Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving put together...The so called experts would have you think that we should just hand Boston and Philadelphia the championships and just play the World Series, but there are 162 games to be played and right now, everyone is tied for first....It's a long season, and who knows what will happen? It's now time to sit in the sun with a hot dog and a cold beer, watching the greatest game ever invented. Welcome spring, and WELCOME baseball!!!!

AMEN, BROTHER!!!!!!!!!
:lol::vuvu::grin:

Fulcrum
March 31st, 2011, 07:17 PM

Preach it, brutha.

We'll see you in October.

jerryskid
March 31st, 2011, 11:38 PM
Despite leaving 10 runners on base, the REDS win in the 9th on a three run homer from catcher Ramon Hernandez...this team finds a way to win!!!

Anx
April 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM
Rooting for 125 wi, wii, wiii, FUCK I can't even jokingly say it, losses for my Pirates this year.

At least living in Seattle now I can watch the Mariners not score runs at an alarming rate. King Felix almost makes them watchable every 5 days, and Ichiro is a class act.

Fulcrum
April 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Third straight Opening Day jack for Granderson, plus two outstanding catches in the center pasture, lift the Yankees to their first win of the season over the Tigers.

A-Rod is slugging 1.000 and Tex .750.

I'll take it.

PRobb
April 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM
Baseball thread on an audio forum is the only place to bitch about this- the gate on the home plate mic on Yankee broadcasts drives me NUTS!!! The ball hitting the mitt goes PAAAHHHH! The ball hitting the bat goes PAAAHHHH! All you hear is the gate letting go on the crowd noise.
The NY guys know what I mean.:Mad:

G. Hoffman
April 2nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
A 13-3 loss to Toronto is NOT what I would call an auspicious start to the season! Yuck! I can't even blame it on our, rather questionable, relief pitching, since our start got rung up for 8 runs, a HBP and a balk!

Gabriel

clicktrack
April 3rd, 2011, 12:30 AM
A 13-3 loss to Toronto is NOT what I would call an auspicious start to the season! Yuck! I can't even blame it on our, rather questionable, relief pitching, since our start got rung up for 8 runs, a HBP and a balk!

Gabriel

How about a 13-3 loss followed by a 6-1 loss?

There's a lot of season to play, but this is a good start with the team that Anthopolous built!

jerryskid
April 3rd, 2011, 03:00 AM
Reds win their first two of the season for only the 3rd time in 20 years behind a brilliant pitching performance by Travis Wood....going for the sweep tomorrow....:vuvu:

Aardvark
April 3rd, 2011, 03:00 AM
How about a 13-3 loss followed by a 6-1 loss?

There's a lot of season to play, but this is a good start with the team that Anthopolous built!

Hehehe (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2011/04/02/37918_recap.html)... too bad the Jays don't play the Twins 80 times a year. For some reason they have owned them the last four or five.:lol:

Good to see Drabek get a win... he is part of the Doc trade and needs to carry some quality innings this year.

Cheers,
Aardvark

G. Hoffman
April 3rd, 2011, 05:42 AM
Well, at least we can't get any WORSE in the next 160 games!

God, I hope we can't get any worse!!!!

Gabriel

jerryskid
April 3rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Ryan Hannigan goes 4 for 4 and Bronson Arroyo, recovering from mononucleosis, works 7 innings as the REDS sweep the NLCD favored (by some so called experts)Milwaukee Brewers with a 12-4 win.....now bring on the Astros.......:Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

Tyrus
April 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
Aren't we glad we're not Cleveland!

But gotta say it, the White Sox are hitting (Thank you for Adam Dunn)!

If only our bullpen got its act together, We can't rely on Santos, Sale and Thornton alone.

Sox off to a 2-1 series win, and cubs lose their series to the Pirates. Great start to the season!

jerryskid
April 3rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Aren't we glad we're not Cleveland!

(Thank you for Adam Dunn)!

And thank God he's in AL where he doesn't have to play the field....:Roll eyes:

Tyrus
April 3rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
Wow, was he really that terrible defensively?

The guy can hit though, wow!

jerryskid
April 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Wow, was he really that terrible defensively?

Dude...he used to kick the ball around the outfield something fierce....he was good for 2 or three RBI per game but he would give up just as many runs in the field because he was so slow and fumbley....

4th&15
April 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
When to the Cliff Lee game the other night. When's the last time you saw a pitcher get a STANDING O for a sacrifice bunt :grin:
Glad to see baseball back in Philly :Coolio: UTLEY WHO... :Wink:

Peace

4th&15
April 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Hey Skid
Here's a interesting stat for you, the last time the Phillies swept a home opening series was in 1899. I figured you'll like to know :lol:

Peace

jerryskid
April 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hey Skid
Here's a interesting stat for you, the last time the Phillies swept a home opening series was in 1899. I figured you'll like to know :lol:

Peace

I already knew....watched Friday's comeback and then part of Sunday's game after the Red's started thumping the Brew crew...MLB extra innings was free this weekend so I spent the weekend welcoming baseball back......it was glorious!!...anyone catch the triple play in Cleveland yesterday?

PRobb
April 4th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hey Skid

Peace
Those crazy history stats are a big part of what makes baseball great.
The Yankees started the same 4 infielders and 3 outfielders two years in a row for the first time since '26-'27.

April is the month of hope. The Mets took 2 of 3 in Florida, surpassing their win total in Fla. from last year.:very happy:

Fulcrum
April 4th, 2011, 07:29 PM
The Mets took 2 of 3 in Florida, surpassing their win total in Fla. from last year.:very happy:

In the process showing Javy Vasquez for the overrated batting practice tosser Brian Cashman finally figured he was after his second stint in pinstripes. (Took him long enough.)

PRobb
April 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM
In the process showing Javy Vasquez for the overrated batting practice tosser Brian Cashman finally figured he was after his second stint in pinstripes. (Took him long enough.)
We pounded him pretty good. Although I have to say the game was a bit painful to watch. Florida SUCKS on defense. There were 3 or 4 errors, coulda easily been twice that many. Bases loaded, one out, hard grounder to third. 5-2-3 DP, right? Nope. Throw it five feet over the catcher's head, 2 across, more to follow.

And I'm loving Cashman bitching about how badly the Mets overused Pedro Feliciano. He didn't know how many appearances he had when he signed him?

Fulcrum
April 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but it's entirely possible it might not have been Cash's call any more than signing Soriano was.

PRobb
April 5th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I wasn't paying much attention at the time, but it's entirely possible it might not have been Cash's call any more than signing Soriano was.

Perhaps, but I think Soriano is going to work out for you. It gives you a great 8th inning guy in front of Rivera, and if the this is the year Mo turns out to be human after all (he's 41, it will happen at some point) you have an alternate all set to go.

jerryskid
April 5th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Looks like Buck Showalter has the Orioles turned around....I'm sure Mr Armstrong is pleased.......

Fulcrum
April 5th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Looks like Buck Showalter has the Orioles turned around....I'm sure Mr Armstrong is pleased.......

Their first 4-0 start since 1970, when they had Palmer, McNally, and Cuellar pitching for them and Brooks Robinson at the hot corner throwing to Boog Powell at first.

I'll go on record as saying that if the Yankees don't take the AL East this year, I hope the O's do (and that the Yankees take the wild card in that case). It's been too long for that franchise, and they were one of the two teams I followed when I first started to appreciate baseball.

Anybody but the fucking Red Sox. Please.

jerryskid
April 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Showalter managed the Columbus Clippers before his stint with the Yankees. I became a fan of his managing style back then...

Tyrus
April 5th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Showalter managed the Columbus Clippers before his stint with the Yankees. I became a fan of his managing style back then...

This had to have been back when the Clippers were still associated with the Yankees and somewhat fun to watch.

The new ballpark is nice though, They're starting Sizemore in the exho against Ohio State. Wish i was back in Cbus for that.

G. Hoffman
April 6th, 2011, 03:26 AM
THAT'S more like it.

Twins beat the Fucking Yankees in Fucking Yankees Stadium.

Rivera still has it though. Pretty impressive for an old man. Thankfully, our backup closer did better than theirs. (Which is shocking, since Soriano is a real closer, and Capps just scares the piss out of me every time he comes to the mound.)

Gabriel

PRobb
April 6th, 2011, 03:35 AM
2 for 2, with a run scored and an RBI.
That was Met pitcher Chris Young's batting line. Not in the game (he went 3 for 3), IN THE THIRD INNING!:icon_eek::very happy:
My boys just pounded Cole Hammels.

I dunno, I know it's early but the Mets look like a whole new team. With RISP they cut down and put the damn ball in play. Wow.

I feel like Michael Corleone- Every time I think I'm out they pull me back in.

jerryskid
April 6th, 2011, 04:34 AM
REDS are 4-0.....:Wink:

jerryskid
April 6th, 2011, 04:37 AM
:vuvu::vuvu::vuvu::grin::grin::vuvu::vuvu:

PRobb
April 6th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I've been seeing this a lot lately- What the hell happened to the on deck hitter clears the bat when there's going to be a play at the plate? Somebody is going to get injured sliding over a bat.

G. Hoffman
April 6th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I was just reading something on the Village Voice via ESPN, and it brought up something that I noticed watching last nights highlights: where are the Fucking Yankee's fans? The stadium looked like it was at best 1/4 full last night? Granted, it was still 40,000 people, so I guess that's almost half full, right? And that would be a full house at Target Field, but still. You have the winning-est (and most expensive) team in baseball, in the largest market in the country...just how insanely expensive have the Fucking Yankees made their tickets that they can't sell out?

HERE (http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/04/where_have_all_1.php)

Gabriel

PRobb
April 6th, 2011, 09:44 PM
It's like Yankee fans bitching about a failed season if they fall two games short of the Series. Most teams would be thrilled with 40,000 mid week on a cold April night.

I do have to say that the Mets now have the better ballpark. And I'm not saying that as a Mets fan. The old Stadium versus Shea wasn't even a contest.

jerryskid
April 7th, 2011, 03:29 AM
REDS beat the 'stros 12-4 to go to 5-0....I'm starting to think they may go undefeated......:lol:

Fulcrum
April 7th, 2011, 06:03 AM
And can I just say that the Dodger fans who beat that Giants fan to within an inch of his life and left him potentially brain-damaged are cowards. I mean, just for liking another team?

Hell, I don't hate the Red Sox that much.

PRobb
April 7th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I need to keep reminding myself it's early April because I'm beginning to suspect these Mets might be better than expected. Last night, even though they lost, was really encouraging. Pelfry was awful (again, that's trouble) and they were down 7-0 after 3. Recent Met teams would have folded the tents and gone home, but they fought back to tie the score.

Contend? Uh, no. Respectable? Could be. And that would be a step in the right direction.

jerryskid
April 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Well so much for going undefeated, though the REDS go 5-1 on the homestand..now it's off to Arizona for 3 games....

PRobb
April 7th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Well so much for going undefeated, though the REDS go 5-1 on the homestand..now it's off to Arizona for 3 games....

So you're NOT going 162-0?:Roll eyes:
April, people, April.:lol:

G. Hoffman
April 7th, 2011, 10:10 PM
So you're NOT going 162-0?:Roll eyes:
April, people, April.:lol:

Of course it's only April, and the stats are meaningless. That doesn't mean they aren't FUN, though.

And his team is certainly off to a better start than mine, I'm afraid. :Sad:

Gabriel

PRobb
April 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Of course it's only April, and the stats are meaningless. That doesn't mean they aren't FUN, though.
I would never EVER suggest that stats aren't fun.

And his team is certainly off to a better start than mine, I'm afraid. :Sad:

Gabriel
Mine too.

Aardvark
April 8th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I would never EVER suggest that stats aren't fun.

Wonder what the stats are involving giving up 11 runs while facing Doc on the mound?:headpalm::lol:

Methinks you Mets fans are fucked for a while... sorry.

At least you got some of that horrible deadwood off the pine if not the books.:Thumbsup:

Cheers,
CocoLaboyVark

Fulcrum
April 8th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Yer Mets got a lesson in bat waving from Doc today unfortunately.

Our comeuppance will probably be sometime this weekend, probably Sunday when the game is on ESPN (I don't know who's scheduled to pitch for the Sox, but I think CC is going for the Yankees). We're facing Lackey and Buchholz on Friday and Saturday, and they'd better hope they're close to what they used to be if they're going to give the Sox a chance to win.

In other news, Burnett is 2-0, Tex and A-Rod have OPSes above 1, and our production from the one and two holes in the batting order has stunk to high heaven. Yeah, well, April...

PRobb
April 8th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Yeah, the Mets got schlamoggled today. But I see something different. My expectations for this season are low, I'd see .500 as a sign of progress. Then all those horrible contracts come off the books and we'll see what happens.

BTW- this is an illustration of the difference between the Yankees and every other team The Mets are paying $20 mil to two guys who didn't even make the team. That restricts what they can do this year. The Yanks make a $20 mil mistake they say "oh darn" and move on to the next megabuck free agent.

Bivouac
April 8th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Yeah, the Mets got schlamoggled today. But I see something different. My expectations for this season are low, I'd see .500 as a sign of progress. Then all those horrible contracts come off the books and we'll see what happens.

BTW- this is an illustration of the difference between the Yankees and every other team The Mets are paying $20 mil to two guys who didn't even make the team. That restricts what they can do this year. The Yanks make a $20 mil mistake they say "oh darn" and move on to the next megabuck free agent.

I'm sorry, but the Mets -- with a $120,000,000 payroll -- don't get to use that excuse either. Even without $20,000,000 in "dead money", they still have a higher operating budget than 90% of the league.

Both teams in New York like to throw money at problems.

jerryskid
April 8th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Sox fans are exactly where they want to be...bitching....it's April.....anyone else see Joey Votto move up on the curve and smack the 1st baseman with it?.......he a gem...:Wink:

PRobb
April 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Just took a quick peek at Yankees/Sox.
6-4 Boston, top of the third.
This is gonna be one of those silly games!:lol:

Aardvark
April 8th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Manny (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/08/shocker-manny-ramirez-retires/related) being Manny... which is to say a compulsive cheater who the game is finally rid of.

Quit on team during pennant race?

Check.

Fail repeated drug tests?

Check.

Beat up old man and team employee?

Check.

Endless lackadaisical plays and brain-farts?

Check.

Hall of Fame?

Nope.

Cheers,
GladtoseehimgoneVark

Fulcrum
April 8th, 2011, 11:03 PM
"How are you a Yankees fan at all? It's like being a huge fan of fascism!"

9e57dlq7ZA4

Fulcrum
April 8th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Manny (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/08/shocker-manny-ramirez-retires/related) being Manny... which is to say a compulsive cheater who the game is finally rid of.

GladtoseehimgoneVark

The only thing missing from that pic they had of him at that site was the other one.. you know, the profile view.

jerryskid
April 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM
MLB Extra Innings have been running a free preview for the week, so I've been in baseball heaven...I'm currently watching the Giants and the Cards.....:Roll eyes:

jerryskid
April 13th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Brandon Phillips is on FIRE!!!!

Hope he keeps it up.....:Roll eyes:

4th&15
April 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Brandon Phillips is on FIRE!!!!

Hope he keeps it up.....:Roll eyes:

And Joe Blanton's not... :lol:

G. Hoffman
April 14th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Barry Bonds - Guilty (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6347014)

Mind you, it is only the Obstruction of Justice charge, so not nearly what he deserves, but it is a start.

Gabriel

jerryskid
April 14th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Barry Bonds - Guilty (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6347014)

Mind you, it is only the Obstruction of Justice charge, so not nearly what he deserves, but it is a start.

Glad it happened, but lets start a new thread about it...This thread is about the GAME not the people who try to ruin it....:Roll eyes:

G. Hoffman
April 14th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Glad it happened, but lets start a new thread about it...This thread is about the GAME not the people who try to ruin it....:Roll eyes:

I don't know - it doesn't seem to me like there is enough to talk about to bother with another thread. It's not like it's a contentious issue; Barry Bonds was a `roided out freak, and he was a prick. Now he's been found guilty for lying about the first one.

Conversation done, it seems to me.

Gabriel

PRobb
April 14th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I don't know - it doesn't seem to me like there is enough to talk about to bother with another thread. It's not like it's a contentious issue; Barry Bonds was a `roided out freak, and he was a prick. Now he's been found guilty for lying about the first one.

Conversation done, it seems to me.

Gabriel
Baseball conversations are never done.
I think you know this.
Hall Of Fame- Bonds? Clemens? McGuire? Manny?

Sorry Jerry- maybe this should be its own thread.

Aardvark
April 14th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hall Of Fame- Bonds?
Yes
Clemens? Maybe. Leaning no.
McGuire?No'ish. Not the drugs... the stats aside from HR's.
Manny?
Never.

NOT the drugs but the way he quit on his teams in every way possible.

Zero hustle on defense.

Never ran out a pop-up.

Did not know when to pee.:headpalm:

Beat 'underlings'.

Oh... yes... there is the drug thing in a big, stupid, billboard on my forehead kind of idiot way.

Cheers,
AretheyjumpingoffofbridgesinBostonyetVark?

G. Hoffman
April 14th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Baseball conversations are never done.
I think you know this.
Hall Of Fame- Bonds? Clemens? McGuire? Manny?

Sorry Jerry- maybe this should be its own thread.

Give how well Barry Bonds did back when he still looked human, sure - he would have been worthy without the `roids. Clemens, I'd say yes. McGuire and Manny just weren't well enough rounded players, though McGuire should still have his line for breaking the record. Manny, well, I'm just glad it's finally over. Besides, Barry Bonds idiocy sure appears to have been a direct response to McGuire and Sosa. Sort of a, "you want home runs? I'll give you home runs!" At least from the cheap seats where I live.

I'll admit to having a Ken Burns colored filter on my view of the issue, though. I liked what Chris Rock said about it in Burns' 10th inning (http://video.pbs.org/video/1598368533/#), "People get upset. Who, in the whole country, wouldn't take a pill to make more money at their job? You would. 'hey, here's a pill, and you're going to get paid like Steven Spielberg.' You would take the pill. You just would."

It is a bit interesting to me, though, that for so long, San Fransisco fans deal was "No championship, and a freezing stadium," (though I might dispute their frame of reference!), "but we get to watch Barry Bonds play!" Then they get rid of him, and all of a sudden they pitch themselves to a World Series title. Which, come to think of it, is exactly how the world should work.

Gabriel

Fulcrum
April 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM
The thing is, we've already let people into the Hall who have benefited from performance enhancement—back in the day, it was called speed. Dugouts and training rooms used to be filled with greenies. You needed it, and maybe you still do, to get through the kind of arduous schedule the players have to contend with, bouncing around the continent as they do. Business travelers know this.

Elsewhere, Burnett is 3-for-April and I'm waiting patiently for the other shoe to drop. And for Hughes to find that extra 3-4mph on his fastball.

I still don't see where or how Josh Hamilton broke his fibula. Sure, sliding head first into home is never a good idea, but what exactly did he get hung up on?

jerryskid
April 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM
but what exactly did he get hung up on?

Cocaine for about 6 years........:lol:

PRobb
April 14th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Interesting reactions to the HOF question.
I'm kinda tempted to go with the Bonds/McGuire continuum.
Discount the career for steroids and are you still left with a HOFer.
Bonds, I guess we have to hold our noses and say yes. McGuire, no.

Bivouac
April 15th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Interesting reactions to the HOF question.
I'm kinda tempted to go with the Bonds/McGuire continuum.
Discount the career for steroids and are you still left with a HOFer.
Bonds, I guess we have to hold our noses and say yes. McGuire, no.

McGuire = Champion
Bonds = Never won a damned thing

weedywet
April 15th, 2011, 03:54 AM
...Clemens, I'd say yes.

and would you say that if he had never played for the Red Sox, but only the Yankees?

PRobb
April 15th, 2011, 04:00 AM
McGuire = Champion
Bonds = Never won a damned thing
If Bonds had retired the year he started steroids, he'd be in the hall of fame right now.
He is the only player in history with 500 home runs and 500 stolen bases. What makes that amazing is that he's also the only player with 400/400. And that was before steroids.

The guy is the poster boy for the steroid age and the thought of him in the HOF is offensive. But take away the drugs and you're still left with one of the best ever.

Discount McGuire for steroids, you're left with Dave Kingman.

G. Hoffman
April 15th, 2011, 11:33 AM
and would you say that if he had never played for the Red Sox, but only the Yankees?

Yes, probably. Hell, he should at least get an honorable mention for his perfect game (as should anyone who pitches a perfect game! Or an unassisted triple play, for that matter.)

I would never want to see A-Rod in there, but Jeter wouldn't bother me a bit. And for a reliever, Rivera is kind of a no brainer. The problem with the Fucking Yankees is that they buy up all the best players in a bullying and offensive manner, but that doesn't make the players anything but great players.

Gabriel

PRobb
April 15th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Hey Aardy- if Bonds, why not Clemens?
Seems to me they're both in the same category. If you say "no druggies" then neither.
If you discount for steroids and see what you're left with then both. Clemens pre steroids, was one of the all time great right handed pitchers. And I say that as a confirmed Clemens hater.

Tyrus
April 15th, 2011, 06:20 PM
The Baseball HOF should have an Asterisk hall and/or corner.

The controversial players of the steroid era, Some think they deserve to be in, so they are.

But they get their own section because...well, duh.

nah, thats too neutral and middle ground.

weedywet
April 15th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Yes, probably. Hell, he should at least get an honorable mention for his perfect game (as should anyone who pitches a perfect game! Or an unassisted triple play, for that matter.)

I would never want to see A-Rod in there, but Jeter wouldn't bother me a bit. And for a reliever, Rivera is kind of a no brainer.

I'm sure Cooperstown has a list/exhibit somewhere of perfect games.
But not everyone on it is an automatic hall of famer.
Is David Wells? David Cone?

I think one could argue that A-Rod's pre-steroidal career might qualify as a HOF one as well.

Jeter and Riviera are automatics, and have, it appears, no suggestion of steroids anyway.

Bivouac
April 16th, 2011, 01:50 AM
If Bonds had retired the year he started steroids,

Can we truly identify the year he started? Obviously we can narrow down the years it started making dramatic physical changes to his body, but can we truly rule out that he wasn't using steroids many years before that?

he'd be in the hall of fame right now.
He is the only player in history with 500 home runs and 500 stolen bases. What makes that amazing is that he's also the only player with 400/400. And that was before steroids.

Again, was it?

Discount McGuire for steroids, you're left with Dave Kingman.

Might be stretching it; but then again, I might be showing my old-school A's bias. Growing up in the Bay Area in the late-80's, those Oakland teams were my first real exposure to baseball as a squirt. I LOVED those teams.

Then again, Weiss, Henderson, and Lansford were always my favorites. Hmmm.

And is this all a ruse to prevent anyone from talking about the Mets? :)

Aardvark
April 16th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hey Aardy- if Bonds, why not Clemens?
Seems to me they're both in the same category. If you say "no druggies" then neither.
If you discount for steroids and see what you're left with then both. Clemens pre steroids, was one of the all time great right handed pitchers. And I say that as a confirmed Clemens hater.

Bonds, pre-steroid as you mentioned, had the stats. Clemens left Boston with less than 200 wins and a total of forty in his last four years. Clearly on the decline and not Hall stats.

He juices and his next TWO years wins 41 games and goes on to win 139 in the next nine years... all after four poor seasons and well into his thirties.

As a clean player (we think) he was tremendous but not HOF. Only when we add in the mysterious re-birth stats do we see HOF numbers.

Cheers,
Aardvark

PRobb
April 16th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Bonds, pre-steroid as you mentioned, had the stats. Clemens left Boston with less than 200 wins and a total of forty in his last four years. Clearly on the decline and not Hall stats.
Cool. So Clemens doesn't get in. Good. Can't stand the arrogant, head hunting prick.

He juices and his next TWO years wins 41 games and goes on to win 139 in the next nine years... all after four poor seasons and well into his thirties.

To me, the real sign that the steroid era is over is that 38 is 38 again. People just don't have power surges in their late 30s. Athletic prime does not extend to 40.

weedywet
April 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Also no one is hitting 60 home runs in a season

PRobb
April 17th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Also no one is hitting 60 home runs in a season

There were as many 50 home run seasons between 1996 and 2003 as there had been in all of baseball history up to then.

jerryskid
April 17th, 2011, 05:43 AM
On a lighter note.....the REDS won 11-2.....

jerryskid
April 18th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Edinson Volquez has been a puzzle all season. In four starts he has given up at least 3 runs in the 1st inning. After that he's unhittable . His ERA for the first inning is 33.00 every other inning his ERA is 1.50. Maybe they let him throw batting practice before the game?

G. Hoffman
April 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM
So, how about them Cubs this year!!!

:headpalm: :headpalm: :headpalm: :headpalm:

Gabriel

jerryskid
April 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM
A WTF moment... (http://www.rbimagazine.com/2011/04/mike-leake-to-start-thursday-after-shoplifting-charges/)

G. Hoffman
May 1st, 2011, 10:01 PM
A month in, and the Twins failure to resign Orlando Hudson is rather blatantly the worst decision of the year. We're at 0.333, with a run differential of -64! Given that the Twins pitching style has always been about ground ball outs, the lack of a quality middle infield is just death for the Twins. And replacing O with a MLB rookie who can't get out of the way of a hard slide certainly doesn't seem like a wise choice, either. :headpalm: I'm afraid our best moment this year will be watching Jim Thome hit #600.

Go Cubbies!:beer::Wink:

Gabriel

Tyrus
May 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Go Cubbies!:beer::Wink:

lol.

Hey Chicago what do ya say?

sigh...at least the season is long

It's too easy to not care about Baseball in chicago as long as the Bulls keep winning so far.

Fulcrum
May 2nd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Burnett leads the Yankees with 4 wins.. no one else on the staff has more than 2.

Did I just fall down a rabbit hole?

Tyrus
May 2nd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Burnett leads the Yankees with 4 wins.. no one else on the staff has more than 2.

Did I just fall down a rabbit hole?

Is it just me or does CC look heavier than ever?

It looks like his gut is swinging along while he pitches.

Fulcrum
May 2nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
Dunno, man, they said he actually lost weight in the off-season.. but even with that he's still a big guy.

I wonder if he's rediscovered Cheez Doodles or something. He's not off to the start Burnett is and maybe superstition is calling him back to the dessert table.

G. Hoffman
May 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM
OK, a no-no is pretty exciting! Way to go Frankie!

Gabriel

Fulcrum
May 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah, it was pretty ugly with six free passes and only 2 K's, but my hat's off to him for getting the job done without allowing a hit.

G. Hoffman
May 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Yeah, it was pretty ugly with six free passes and only 2 K's, but my hat's off to him for getting the job done without allowing a hit.

He kept his pitches down, got a lot of ground ball outs, and THAT is a Twins style no-hitter. Granted, that probably is why we only have 5 in the last 50 years, but still....

Gabriel

PRobb
May 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM
He kept his pitches down, got a lot of ground ball outs, and THAT is a Twins style no-hitter. Granted, that probably is why we only have 5 in the last 50 years, but still....

Gabriel
5 more than the Mets!
It's just freaky the Mets have NEVER had a no hitter when you consider that whenever they were good, it was always built on great pitching.

G. Hoffman
May 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM
First sweep of the year too. Granted, its only the White Sox who are slumping even worse than the Twins right now, but still. And, it is only a two game series, and only our second wining series of the year. :Confused: :headpalm:

Its a little dusturbing that, until yesterdays, the AL central standings (which don't matter yet, I know, but still) were completely upside down, with only the Detroit Tigers in their traditional third place!

But hey, things can only get better from here, right?

5 more than the Mets!
It's just freaky the Mets have NEVER had a no hitter when you consider that whenever they were good, it was always built on great pitching.

Were the Mets ever good? ;)

Gabriel

PRobb
May 4th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Were the Mets ever good? ;)

Gabriel

:doubledeuce::Roll eyes:

On a related topic, I find it astounding that Derek Jeter will be the first ever to get 3,000 hits as a Yankee.

Fulcrum
May 5th, 2011, 12:56 AM
:doubledeuce::Roll eyes:

On a related topic, I find it astounding that Derek Jeter will be the first ever to get 3,000 hits as a Yankee.

If the wheels don't fall off before then.. and they're audibly creaking every time I sit down and watch. Five times as many groundouts as flyouts, OPS hovering just below .600.. Sooner or later Girardi is going to have to move him down the batting order and give the at-bats to people who are actually hitting.

PRobb
May 5th, 2011, 02:27 AM
If the wheels don't fall off before then.. and they're audibly creaking every time I sit down and watch. Five times as many groundouts as flyouts, OPS hovering just below .600.. Sooner or later Girardi is going to have to move him down the batting order and give the at-bats to people who are actually hitting.

Off to a very slow start.
There aren't a lot of 38 year old shortstops. This could get complicated for Girardi.

G. Hoffman
May 9th, 2011, 11:59 PM
My goodness Justin Verlander is good. I've seen a lot fewer people talking about HIS low strikeout count, though. Still, he is a pitcher who is always worth watching.

But what I really want to know is, why is it that as soon as the Twins bring up a shortstop who seems to actually belong in the position, he gets injured? Not that Trevor Plouffe is ever likely to make the all-star team or anything, but he can field the ball fairly well (though he did have a pretty rough time of it in spring training, but he was good last year). I've said all year that not resigning Orlando Hudson and JJ Hardy was a mistake, and unless the Twins do something about their middle infield, they are just screwed. And our pitchers are going to revolt, if the pitching coaches keep telling them to pitch to contact with a middle infield that can't make plays.

Go Cubbies!

Gabriel

Tyrus
May 10th, 2011, 12:30 AM
My goodness Justin Verlander is good. I've seen a lot fewer people talking about HIS low strikeout count, though. Still, he is a pitcher who is always worth watching.

It's impossible to sleep on Verlander, the guy has the nastiest (and by nastiest, consistently upper 90's-100mph) fastball in the AL central let alone the whole league. NEVER sleep on him.

I can't believe the Twins gave up JJ Hardy, he's one of the toughest SS and really fun to watch.

The AL central truly is upside down in standings, Sox gotta get their bullpen and hitting back in line before its far too late. then again its just May, but still...I'm sick of Pierre's defensive mistakes.

Fulcrum
May 10th, 2011, 06:25 AM
But what I really want to know is, why is it that as soon as the Twins bring up a shortstop who seems to actually belong in the position, he gets injured?

It's kind of like how Spinal Tap used to lose drummers in bizarre gardening accidents and choking on someone else's vomit.

Elsewhere, a Yankee and a former Yankee are leading the majors in jacks. As a team, the Yankees have had the fewest at-bats so far this season and the highest slugging percentage thanks to their going yard as often as they have. They seem to be in the middle of the pack as far as their pitching goes, so I don't expect they're going to be tied for first for very much longer.

But they've surprised everybody before. It's surprises like that that keep me watching...

weedywet
May 10th, 2011, 06:31 AM
they obviously cant keep on JUST hitting home runs

but, on the other hand, no one who isn't completely biased against believes that they won't start hitting.

the fact that they started off in the lead, against all predictions, may actually carry them through.

meanwhile, there is THIS atrocity:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/04/21/expanded.playoffs.ap/index.html

personally, I'd get rid of the playoffs entirely and have the two pennant winners play

more made for tv bollocks

PRobb
May 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/04/21/expanded.playoffs.ap/index.html

personally, I'd get rid of the playoffs entirely and have the two pennant winners play

Disgusting. If you do that, take the season back to 154. If you're going to devalue the regular season, no need to push the Series into mid November.

We can't have just two teams. There are too many teams now. How about the three division winners, and the one with the best record gets a bye.

G. Hoffman
May 10th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I can't believe the Twins gave up JJ Hardy, he's one of the toughest SS and really fun to watch.

Hardy to Hudson to Morneau was an astonishingly effective trio, and given the year Danny Valencia had last year - well, all I can say is that we are paying too much for a guy who is setting up for Matt Capps. I mean, was Joe Nathan ever really worth 2/3rds of Mariano Rivera? (He may be a Fucking Yankee, but he is a hell of a closer!)

Gabriel

4th&15
May 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM
they obviously cant keep on JUST hitting home runs

but, on the other hand, no one who isn't completely biased against believes that they won't start hitting.

the fact that they started off in the lead, against all predictions, may actually carry them through.

Speaking of not hitting,the Phillies are king:Roll eyes:. After getting three straight great outting's from Lee,Hamel's and Doc they still can't get it done:Mad:

jerryskid
May 12th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Reds starting pitchers are finally back, with Homer Bailey and Johnny Cueto both had GREAT outings ....wish I could say the same for Edinson Voquez....Reds went 4-2 on the road and now go home to face the Cardinals starting Friday.....

jerryskid
May 14th, 2011, 03:15 PM
The REDS beat the Cardinals in 10 last night 6-5....I know it's only May but the series has a playoff feeling ...The Cards have become the enemy since last years brawl...and it feels nice to have a rival again....:Thumbsup:

G. Hoffman
May 15th, 2011, 03:32 AM
If you ever want to know the importance of the middle infield, look at the 2011 Twins. Those are the only two starters that are not the same as last year, and while we've had injury problems to be sure, it is the the middle infield that is the problem. Last year we were three games from the best record in the majors, and now we have the worst with no real sign of improving.

Anyone know of a professional short stop out there? Because we sure don't have any in Minnesota! If there is anything that I see as a priority for the Twins right now, finding a free agent short stop who can field the ball is the top of my list. For second base, I'm willing to wait until Nishioka gets back from his broken leg, though the circumstances surrounding that incident don't bode particularly well for him. Still, if he is everything they have told us he will be, great.

And while we are on the subject of bizarre staffing choices, Jon Rauch (who the Twins demoted from the closer position last year, and then let go over the winter) has as many saves in fewer opportunities as the dreaded Matt Capps, and had absolutely no trouble with the Twins (admittedly lackluster) bats today. For half the money, to boot. Given another $3.5 million, maybe the Twins could have bought themselves a decent short stop. Or maybe kept JJ Hardy, who may have had some injuries this year, but is still batting .340 and has a perfect fielding percentage so far this year.

Gabriel

Aardvark
May 16th, 2011, 01:15 AM
And while we are on the subject of bizarre...

Not complaining here but why on earth do you guys pitch to Jose Bautista?:headpalm:

He hit three more today making it 7 for his 7 visits to Target Field, led the bigs in dingers last year and has been on a roll for the last month.

Someone not get the memo that Bautista is the best hitter in baseball these days?

Cheers,
Aardvark

G. Hoffman
May 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Not complaining here but why on earth do you guys pitch to Jose Bautista?:headpalm:

He hit three more today making it 7 for his 7 visits to Target Field, led the bigs in dingers last year and has been on a roll for the last month.

Someone not get the memo that Bautista is the best hitter in baseball these days?

Cheers,
Aardvark

Our pitching staff is in a bit of trouble these days. Partially that's because of some injuries in the bullpen, but I believe it is to do with our crappy middle infield. The way I see it, the pitchers don't trust SS and 2B to stop anything, so even though they are, almost to a man, pitch to contact, ground ball out pitchers, they are trying to get strike outs or maybe pop flies. I'm not even sure it is a conscious thing, but it means they are all over throwing the ball, which means their control is off, and that means they are easy to hit. We need to find some team so desperate for a set up pitcher that they will swallow Joe Nathan's salary (yeah right!), or maybe convince the White Sox he's better than what they've got right now (not too far from the truth!), so they can free up about ten million or so to buy themselves a short stop, and maybe a decent relief pitcher or two.

It probably also doesn't help the pitchers not having Mauer behind the plate, but it looks to me like THAT is something they are going to have to get used to. Whatever "bilateral leg weakness" is, I'm guessing that whatever is causing it won't be going away soon if he keeps squatting behind the plate every day. Maybe Mauer can learn short stop? He couldn't be much worse than Alexi Casilla! (On the other hand, Trevor Plouffe is looking a lot better than Casilla was, so maybe he'll be the answer we need. Also, he may be on a streak, who can tell, but so far he has been hitting the ball pretty well.)

As for Bautista - well, if I could figure out what was going on in Gardy's head, maybe I wouldn't be watching so many Cubs games these days!

Gabriel

Fulcrum
May 17th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Rest well Mr Killebrew.

jerryskid
May 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Reds are on a roll!!!...Oh and Mr. Killibrew you WILL be remembered......

G. Hoffman
May 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM
In his memory, the Twins are wearing their 1961 retro uniforms for every home game for the rest of the season.

RIP, Mr Killebrew.

Gabriel

dwoz
May 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
a little levity in the midst of the fray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14&feature=youtu.be

PRobb
May 17th, 2011, 09:50 PM
a little levity in the midst of the fray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14&feature=youtu.be

Great!!!!

Aardvark
May 17th, 2011, 11:03 PM
For more levity I suggest reading AJ Burnedyet's stat line from last night.:headpalm:

The man has a thing for the five run sixth... ask any Jays fan from a few years back.

If his attention span was more than that of your average house fly he really could be dangerous... but at least he took last year's demotion like a man and didn't get all Posada about it.

Watching the aged, egotistical and enormously over-paid Yankees continue to fall apart is going to be provide lots of enjoyment for the rest of baseball.

The question is... will Posada get a chance to become the new Mendoza?:beer:

Cheers,
GoJaysGoVArk

Fulcrum
May 18th, 2011, 12:07 AM
For more levity I suggest reading AJ Burnedyet's stat line from last night.:headpalm:

On a day when Vin Mazzaro watches his pitches sail around his own house to the tune of 11 runs and 14 hits over two and a third, amounting to the worst line by a reliever ever and allowing the Indians to put up a football score on the Royals, this is what you want us to focus on for the sake of hilarity?

Burnett was amusing in a not-so-ha-ha way last night, but not nearly as much as that.

PRobb
May 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM
On a day when Vin Mazzaro watches his pitches sail around his own house to the tune of 11 runs and 14 hits over two and a third, amounting to the worst line by a reliever ever and allowing the Indians to put up a football score on the Royals, this is what you want us to focus on for the sake of hilarity?

Burnett was amusing in a not-so-ha-ha way last night, but not nearly as much as that.
Damn!!!!! Talk about taking one for the team.
Kansas City IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Davies(L, 1-6) 0.1 0 2 2 3 0 0 7.46
Adcock 1.2 3 1 1 2 1 0 2.16
Mazzaro 2.1 11 14 14 3 2 1 22.74
Jeffress 1.2 4 2 2 0 0 0 3.60
Collins, T 1.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3.22
Soria 1.0 1 0 0 0 2 0 4.02
Coleman 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.74
Totals

Aardvark
May 18th, 2011, 01:35 AM
On a day when Vin Mazzaro watches his pitches sail around his own house to the tune of 11 runs and 14 hits over two and a third...

Actually... it was 14 runs!:lol:

Poor guy. You just know he knows his manager never expects to see him again the league.

Sorry... Nobody is ever going to sign Mazzaro for $82,000,000 to repeatedly frustrate the fuck out of fans, team-mates and managers. His is a once only trick.

Burnedyet is a gift that keeps on giving.:beer:

Cheers,
FairandbalancedVArk

weedywet
May 18th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Burnett was less of a disappointment last night than the inability of the Yankees to score ONE more run to tie in nearly 4 innings

jerryskid
May 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM
While the REDS win their SIXTH in a row...(thanks Cubbies for handing this one to us....:-) (http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110517/SPT04/305170109/Cubs-flubs-help-Reds-win?odyssey=nav|head)

jerryskid
May 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Even though he's probably the best 2nd baseman in the NL...this is why I love Brandon Phillips. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Brandon-Phillips-shocks-Twitter-follower-by-show?urn=mlb-wp7003)

Fulcrum
May 20th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Burnedyet is a gift that keeps on giving.:beer:

Yeah, well, Burnett can still pull a decent game out of his ass from time to time, which I guess wasn't so much of a problem when he was with the Jays, was it?

Plus, he can pinch-run when called upon to do so. Did Cito know he could do that?

Elsewhere, I understand Jon Heyman tweeted the other day that he doesn't expect the world to end during the Subway Series.

PRobb
May 20th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah, well, Burnett can still pull a decent game out of his ass from time to time, which I guess wasn't so much of a problem when he was with the Jays, was it?

Plus, he can pinch-run when called upon to do so. Did Cito know he could do that?

Elsewhere, I understand Jon Heyman tweeted the other day that he doesn't expect the world to end during the Subway Series.
I hope not. The New York Mets/Buffalo Bisons have been playing surprisingly well lately!

Tyrus
May 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Even though he's probably the best 2nd baseman in the NL...this is why I love Brandon Phillips. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Brandon-Phillips-shocks-Twitter-follower-by-show?urn=mlb-wp7003)

He's just having an amazing media year so far, good story.

Fulcrum
May 20th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Good on Phillips.. karma will smile on him.

Not quite so much on Andre Ethier though.. flipping the bird to a photographer and then blaming him for taking the picture. WTF?

PRobb
May 21st, 2011, 03:00 AM
Mets/Bisons take game 1 from the Yankees!!!!!!!!

4th&15
May 21st, 2011, 01:14 PM

Aren't you forgetting someone went he's healthy:Coolio: Chase Utley:Wink:

weedywet
May 22nd, 2011, 04:35 AM
Mets/Bisons take game 1 from the Yankees!!!!!!!!

and lose game two... to Burnett

4th&15
May 23rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Hey Skid
Big series with your boyz in our house tonight:Thumbsup: Let's see if our lame lineup can hit your junkballer tonight:lol:
And Utley's back...:grin:

Peace
Rob

jerryskid
May 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Hey Skid
Big series with your boyz in our house tonight:Thumbsup: Let's see if our lame lineup can hit your junkballer tonight:lol:

Don't poke too much...REDS are in a SLUMP....the bats have been nearly silent...let's hope we take them out on you guys....should be a good series though....

4th&15
May 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Don't poke too much...REDS are in a SLUMP....the bats have been nearly silent...let's hope we take them out on you guys....should be a good series though....

Utley goes 0-5 :icon_eek: Can you say spark:grin: Wow, I wasn't expecting that last night:grin: It's only one game:) You get to see Philly's new darling Vance Worley tonight:Coolio:

Good luck,you're going to need it...:grin:

Peace

jerryskid
May 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Arroyo has been battling mono all month. He just hasn't had his stuff. Glad to see you guys bust out of your slump (not). Now it's our turn.....You get our guy Cueto who's been pitching lights out....

4th&15
May 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Arroyo has been battling mono all month. He just hasn't had his stuff. Glad to see you guys bust out of your slump (not). Now it's our turn.....You get our guy Cueto who's been pitching lights out....

Yah,but our boy is rock'n the fro-hawk...:lol:

Fulcrum
May 24th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Dude, what the hell happened to Volquez?

For that matter, what the hell happened to the Yankees' offense? Every other game it seems like they're swatting the pill out of the park left, right, and centeróbut only every other game.

PRobb
May 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM

For that matter, what the hell happened to the Yankees' offense? Every other game it seems like they're swatting the pill out of the park left, right, and centeróbut only every other game.

That's the down side of a home run based offense.

jerryskid
May 24th, 2011, 10:27 PM

I think it's a mental thing...he just can't throw strikes....he's been this way the whole season...His mechanics are out of whack and he hasn't been able to get it together. Hopefully he can find the problem down in AAA where he won't hurt the REDS so much....

G. Hoffman
May 25th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Going to the Twins game tomorrow. I'm hopeful that they can keep tonight game from falling apart, and then get themselves a win tomorrow for two in a row! Thome is back, which has to help! I am a bit worried, though, since our number two hitter tonight is hitting .157. :headpalm:

Gabriel

jerryskid
May 25th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Aren't you forgetting someone went he's healthy:Coolio: Chase Utley:Wink:

I have nothing but respect for Chase Utley...but I saw two plays that Phillips would have had tonight...one gave us a run...:grin:

4th&15
May 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Skid
I'll give you that one last night thanks to the Madson meltdown:grin: Guess who's on the mound tonight?:lol: You DO remember last year don't you.:Coolio:

Peace

jerryskid
May 25th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Skid
I'll give you that one last night thanks to the Madson meltdown:grin: Guess who's on the mound tonight?:lol: You DO remember last year don't you.:Coolio:

Peace

Yes and our pitcher was perfect for 8 innings against you guys...should be a dandy...

G. Hoffman
May 25th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Well, the only entertainment at today's game was watching Alexi Casilla go 3 for 4, and Jim Thome go 1 for 3 plus a walk and put together 4 really great at bats, even if he couldn't really do much with them. Oh, and watching the out of town score board and seeing the Red Sox shellac the Indians 14-2.

I swear, though, it was 10 degrees colder in the upper deck than on the field.

Gabriel

4th&15
May 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Yes and our pitcher was perfect for 8 innings against you guys...should be a dandy...

Dude
You called it, six hours:icon_eek:I love it:grin: Here a little trivia for you, The last position player to get a win in an extra-inning game was Babe Ruth in 1921:Coolio:

Hopefully everybody's well rested for today's matinee:Wink:

Peace

PRobb
May 26th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Dude
You called it, six hours:icon_eek:I love it:grin: Here a little trivia for you, The last position player to get a win in an extra-inning game was Babe Ruth in 1921:Coolio:

Um..... that doesn't really count, does it.
:grin:

Last night the Cubs brought in a reliever up by one run, second and third, one out. The guy walked three straight Mets. ON TWELVE PITCHES!!!! I'll take it, but that was hard to watch.

4th&15
May 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Last night the Cubs brought in a reliever up by one run, second and third, one out. The guy walked three straight Mets. ON TWELVE PITCHES!!!! I'll take it, but that was hard to watch.

But then again it is the Met's:lol: Sorry dude i had to go there:grin:

G. Hoffman
May 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Here a little trivia for you, The last position player to get a win in an extra-inning game was Babe Ruth in 1921:Coolio:

Also not true. From the ESPN game recap:

Not bad for a journeyman infielder who became the first position player to earn a win since Colorado catcher Brent Mayne on Aug. 22, 2000, according to STATS LLC. Mayne went one inning in a 7-6 victory over Atlanta in 12 innings.

Doesn't make it any less impressive, though.

Gabriel

PRobb
May 26th, 2011, 08:40 PM
How do you delete a post?

Fulcrum
May 26th, 2011, 09:00 PM
How do you delete a post?

You ask a mod like me to do it. Of course, then I have to delete other posts that suddenly make no sense in the context of the conversation, feelings get hurt, complaints get made, yada yada yada.

4th&15
May 27th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Skid
What happen:grin: I think we got a bench player in Cliff Lee( three RBI's and a stolen base ):Wink: What do you think? :grin:

Maybe next year dude...:lol:

jerryskid
May 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Dude...we came to Philly at the WORST possible time...our bullpen was already pretty tired when we ran into that 19 inning debacle. Then Homer Bailey gets hurt and all we have in the bullpen is a washed up AA starter that we brought up just because of the game on Wednesday. I'm not making excuses, you guys hit the hell out of us....see you again in July.....:)

Dr. Bob
May 27th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Dude...we came to Philly at the WORST possible time...:Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cr y::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry:

Excuse me sir, but do you need some cheese wif dat' whine?

or would a sniffy towel suffice?

<snork>

G. Hoffman
May 29th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Um, it looks like the Twins might have found themselves a new starter.

Anthony Swarzak takes no-hitter into 8th as Twins prevail in 10 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310528109)

Probably not, of course, because, well, its not really his role, but damn, that is a fine job. Too bad the offense wasn't good enough to get him the win. On the other hand, if some of the other starters can't get it together, he might be an option.

Also, nice to get a win after yesterdays disaster. Up 5-0 in the eighth, and they couldn't fucking win the fucking game. This is not Twins baseball.

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
May 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'm a bit baffled by this Twins team.

How can a team that sucks this bad have two rather remarkable pitching feats already this year? Aside from Liriano's no-no, last night's ten inning one hit shut out is only the second in the AL since the designated hitter. The part I really like is that the other one was a complete game for Texas by ... Bert Blylevin, who I'm reasonably certain will be wearing his Twins jersey in the HOF. No real surprise that the modern day team needed three pitchers, but damn. It does, I think, show that our pitchers CAN actually pitch, and our main problem isn't with the bullpen, but with the middle infield. But I'm pretty sure I've made that point before, so I won't belabor it again.

Gabriel

4th&15
May 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Speaking of baffled, is the Met's bullpen really that bad:headpalm:. That two in a row against the Phils:Coolio::grin:

jerryskid
May 29th, 2011, 03:58 PM
The REDS bullpen is playing great, but the team just went 12 innings last night, after going 19 on Wednesday....They are in the middle of a 33 game string in 34 days....and the starters can't make it past the 4th inning...This team NEEDS a complete game in the worst way....

4th&15
May 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
The REDS bullpen is playing great, but the team just went 12 innings last night, after going 19 on Wednesday....They are in the middle of a 33 game string in 34 days....and the starters can't make it past the 4th inning...This team NEEDS a complete game in the worst way....

Maybe you could use Danny's Baez or even Wilson Valdez :Wink:
He's throwing 92 mph...:grin:

G. Hoffman
June 4th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Pavano gets 100th win (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/123144653.html).

With a complete game, too. It took him six tries to get that last one, but he did at least finish his own job. Though it certainly helps that the Royals are playing like the Royals again. The Twins still aren't playing like the Twins, of course, but at least they didn't get beaten by the bloody Royals again. Now if the Indian's could just start playing like the Indian's again....

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
June 6th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Holy crap! The Twins just got a 4 game sweep!

Granted, it was the Royals, and they have started playing like the Royals, but with a combined score of 26-6, that does an awful lot towards improving our standing on runs (up from 30th to 28th!), and our run differential (down to only -73.[/sarcasm])

What is even better is that during this series we had Mauer, Mourneau, Thome, Liriano, Kubel, Blackburn, Nathan and Span all on the DL. Which makes one wonder, how fucking good is our AAA team!?!?!?!?!?

Gabriel

4th&15
June 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM
G ,Which outfielder are you going dump at the trading deadline?:Wink: We need one that can hit for power bigtime :grin:

PRobb
June 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Holy crap! The Twins just got a 4 game sweep!

Granted, it was the Royals, and they have started playing like the Royals, but with a combined score of 26-6, that does an awful lot towards improving our standing on runs (up from 30th to 28th!), and our run differential (down to only -73.[/sarcasm])

What is even better is that during this series we had Mauer, Mourneau, Thome, Liriano, Kubel, Blackburn, Nathan and Span all on the DL. Which makes one wonder, how fucking good is our AAA team!?!?!?!?!?

Gabriel
Welcome to my life as a New York Mets/Buffalo Bisons fan.
The Mets haven't had all 9 projected opening day starters on the field at once for a single game.

jerryskid
June 6th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Welcome to my life as a New York Mets/Buffalo Bisons fan.
The Mets haven't had all 9 projected opening day starters on the field at once for a single game.

Neither have the REDS and that's why they're in 3rd place.....

G. Hoffman
June 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM
G ,Which outfielder are you going dump at the trading deadline?:Wink: We need one that can hit for power bigtime :grin:

Power? On the Twins?

Good joke.

Actually we have 5 guys with decent power (none of them outfielders), but they are all on the DL right now. Well, four of the five.

I'm not getting too worked up over the 4 game streak, though. It was only the Royals, and that hardly counts as professional baseball.

Gabriel

PRobb
June 6th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Anybody else look at the standings and think they got the AL Central upside-down?

Tyrus
June 6th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I'm not getting too worked up over the 4 game streak, though. It was only the Royals, and that hardly counts as professional baseball.

Haha, Royals...

Hey, a wins a win, ChiSox sweep Boston but can't get shit outta Detroit.

in Cubby news, you see where Big Z ripped into his team for doing what they do so well...which is losing and sucking. Even got my chance to catch a day game last weds where they lost to the Astros...for some reason i had a hard time following the game itself, scenery was just too beautiful :Coolio:

Remember guys, its too early to get down on your team, we still haven't hit the All-Star break yet.

G. Hoffman
June 7th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Haha, Royals...

Hey, a wins a win, ChiSox sweep Boston but can't get shit outta Detroit.

in Cubby news, you see where Big Z ripped into his team for doing what they do so well...which is losing and sucking. Even got my chance to catch a day game last weds where they lost to the Astros...for some reason i had a hard time following the game itself, scenery was just too beautiful :Coolio:

Remember guys, its too early to get down on your team, we still haven't hit the All-Star break yet.

Before they swept the Royals, the Twins were 20 games (20!!!) behind .500. I'll give them all the shit I want. Now, if they can turn that around, great. No doubt, we've had some serious injury problems, but 20 games (20!!!!!) behind .500? This early in the season? And that doesn't even figure on how far out of first they are. (Though, the Rangers sweep of the Indian's last weekend sure helped on that score!)

Gabriel

Tyrus
June 7th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I still wonder when Danks will get a win...EDIT: tonight against Seattle, guess I should post like this more often...

I wonder if Dunn can bring his BA back to life...

I wonder if we have a bullpen beyond Santos...

I wonder how many more fielding errors Pierre can collect...

Dude, we should be hating each other as the Twinkies and ChiSox battle for first in the AL Central...this just ain't right...

I still hold on to the sliver of faith that its before the all star break still...

G. Hoffman
June 7th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Holy crap! 5 in a row!!!!

I guess Gardy only knows how to win with mediocre players.

Gabriel

PRobb
June 9th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Gosh- after the night Burnett had against the BoSox (5.2IP 8 runs) I came here expecting to see Aardy gloating.

You feeling OK, dude?:Wink:

G. Hoffman
June 10th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Gosh, Alexi Casilla is making a heck of a bid to shed his position as team goat for the crappy play this year.

My dad and I went to the game tonight and watched a heck of a fine game. But the best part of the game was watching Casilla (who two or three weeks ago was hitting .167, and was leading the team in errors. Really fucking crappy.) come to the plate with two on, two out, and then knock a very fine base hit to deep left field to bring in the walk off run. (It probably would have been a double, with Casilla's speed, but why bother when you've already won?) So that is 7 of 8, and all of it with very little help from the big name starters! There was a very fine 3 run dinger from Cuddyer, and Delmon Young's 3 for 4 with his own home run were great and important, but Morneau was 0 for 4, and everybody else you'd have heard of was on the DL.

Great game though, and a lot of fun to watch!

Gabriel

jerryskid
June 10th, 2011, 06:21 AM
REDS look good in SF.......shutout.....I LIKE IT....

4th&15
June 10th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Alert,Alert Manager melt down last night:icon_eek:11th inning,tie game.Bases loading, Charlie" DUMBASS " Manual decides to bat the pitcher:headpalm::Mad:What the fuck was he thinking:icon_eek: It's the fuck'n Cub's...

Don't get me wrong and I love my boyz,but it's getting to the point where I can't watch them:grin:

Peace

Fulcrum
June 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Elsewhere, the Yankees get swept again at the Stadium by the Sawx.

It's like they have kryptonite or something. Not to mention a younger team. It doesn't help that the Yankees' bullpen, one of their areas of strength earlier in the year, is currently decimated and staffed with D-list relievers from leagues with one, two, or three A's in them. And Joba will be gone for about a year recovering from Tommy John. Shweet. :facepalm:

Still, it's June, and the Sox did this to us last year, too.. whereupon the Yankees came back and took the next nine games to tie the season series if memory serves.

PRobb
June 12th, 2011, 09:57 PM
So the BoSox just scored 30 runs in two days in Toronto.:icon_eek:

G. Hoffman
June 13th, 2011, 12:21 AM
So the BoSox just scored 30 runs in two days in Toronto.:icon_eek:

With their 9 game winning streak, they are also the only team in the AL with a better 10 game record than the Twins right now.

But what is really baffling right now, is that for the last four games the Twins have only had four guys in the starting lineup that were on the team opening day, almost all of our stars are on the DL, and four of our starters were in Rochester two weeks ago (when we were loosing). We're 8-2, our starting pitchers are going deep (mostly - Brian Dunesing's two inning outing on Friday night not withstanding), and they are playing like they actually want to be there! Liriano was well on his way to his second no-no of the year before a 30 minute bottom of the seventh threw him off his rhythm (but then, giving him an extra five runs probably relaxed him a bit!) Heck, even our bullpen has been decent the last two weeks.

It's kind of painful, in a way, because I had given up on caring about how they did this season, and even with this they are only at .400 and 11 games out of first place. Cleavland is playing like Cleavland again, going 1-9, and are well on their way to loosing first place to Detroit, but the Twins still have dug themselves one hell of a hole.

Gabriel

PRobb
June 13th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I'm feeling the same way about the Mets.
A whole lot of kids playing pretty well. They're scoring a lot without the long ball.
7-3 in their last 10.
This season might not be the complete disaster I was anticipating.

4th&15
June 13th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I'm feeling the same way about the Mets.
A whole lot of kids playing pretty well. They're scoring a lot without the long ball.
7-3 in their last 10.
This season might not be the complete disaster I was anticipating.

Agreed,you just need a little (a lot) :headpalm: bull pit help:Wink:
And dude, I'll trade you Rollins for Reyes in a heartbeat:grin:

PRobb
June 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Agreed,you just need a little (a lot) :headpalm: bull pit help:Wink:
And dude, I'll trade you Rollins for Reyes in a heartbeat:grin:

Bullpen has been the problem. Awesome or atrocious, no middle ground.
Reyes is having an MVP type season.

Fulcrum
June 13th, 2011, 04:09 PM
You reckon Reyes will still be a Met by the trading deadline?

Yankees go for the sweep today against the Tribe. Burnett on the hill. Wonder which AJ will show up today? The bats better be prepared to give him copious run support...

jerryskid
June 13th, 2011, 05:30 PM

Mets want too much for him....hard to trade away 3 or four good prospects for what will turn out to be a temporary player.....Though he's having a GREAT season, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole...

PRobb
June 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Depends.
I think that would cause a fan revolt much more than trading Wright or Beltran. They need to have something to put fannies in the seats. And Reyes is a reason to buy a ticket.

jerryskid
June 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
The REDS are on track to sweep the Dodgers for the first time in Chevez Ravine since 2004....Now comes the part of the season I hate, INTERLEAGUE PLAY....Here come the Canucks then the Yankees.....GO REDS !!

John Eppstein
June 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
REDS look good in SF.......shutout.....I LIKE IT....

Yeah - all our power guys keep getting hurt. At least we got Sandoval back, but with Posey out for the season and Sanchez out now too........ ouch!

jerryskid
June 16th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Yeah I saw the play where Sanchez got hurt....didn't look too bad till he got up....in football they'd pop it back in and send him back out......but I guess he's gotta throw....

jerryskid
June 16th, 2011, 03:13 AM
HEY FULCRUM....we have you guys in our sights.....no Burnett or C.C. Fatboy since they're pitching in Chicago this weekend......wish Jeter could get his 3000th in Cincy, since Aaron got his 714th there..but we are READY!!!

PRobb
June 16th, 2011, 03:34 AM
wish Jeter could get his 3000th in Cincy, since Aaron got his 714th there..but we are READY!!!

Actually, if he comes back on time, there's a good chance he could get 3000 in Queens, of all places. It still surprises me that with their history, he is the first Yankee to do it.

And I do have to say, NY's best shortstop (right now that would be Jose Reyes) is playing the game about as well as it is possible to play it. He has multiple hits in half the games he's played.

jerryskid
June 16th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Really???...no Met has 3 grand?....well to think about it ......be nice to see Jeter there....you know he's gonna get it anyway..

Fulcrum
June 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
HEY FULCRUM....we have you guys in our sights.....no Burnett or C.C. Fatboy since they're pitching in Chicago this weekend......wish Jeter could get his 3000th in Cincy, since Aaron got his 714th there..but we are READY!!!

Jeter won't be getting anything in Cincy.. he's not even getting on the plane with the rest of the team.

At this point it may well be that #3000 occurs at Citi Field in front of a congeries of New York baseball fans.

Meanwhile, don't sleep on the starters you lot will have to face; any of them could surprise you. Good luck to the Reds, butógo Yankees!

G. Hoffman
June 16th, 2011, 08:54 PM
So, last night, Carl Pavano pitched his second complete game win in 3 starts. Not bad for a guy who couldn't seem to find the plate for the first two months of the season. Add to that Liriano's near repeat of his no-no this week, the fact that Alexi Cassila is hitting .358 for the month of June, and the fact that Cassila and Tsuyoshi Nishioka managed to turn two double plays, and these guys are looking pretty good all of a sudden. Now, they just need to hold on to it. And of course, Joe Mauer needs to come back tomorrow looking like, you know, Joe Mauer, instead of an overpaid crybaby. I still don't think they are going to be making it to the playoffs this year - they are too far behind, and both the White Sox and the Tigers seem to have remembered how to play baseball - but at the very least I think they may be able to end the season in a manner which is not embarrassing.

The thing I'm REALLY worried about, though, is that they have been able to do well lately on games where the starters go 7-8 innings. Shorter starts have not been nearly as good. Which is fine, as long as our starters can go 7-8 innings, but in this day and age we just can't really expect that to continue. We need our bullpen to figure out how to win. Now, they are saying that Nathan is looking a lot better, so getting him back from the DL might help, and Capps has become a lot less scary for me, but the rest of those guys are not cutting it!

Gabriel

PRobb
June 17th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Fucking umpire called a fucking balk in the fucking bottom of the fucking 10th with a fucking runner on fucking third.

Who the fuck does he think he is?:Mad::Mad::Mad:

jerryskid
June 17th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Ok...now comes three weeks of meaningless games....I HATE interleague play......:Mad:

4th&15
June 18th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Ok...now comes three weeks of meaningless games....I HATE interleague play......:Mad:

Me too... It takes away from the WS big time...:Wink:

clicktrack
June 18th, 2011, 02:45 AM

Yea, but it soothes the feeling when the Jays beat the Reds :).
Added to the fact that our former boy Rolen is now on the Reds is all the nicer :)

jerryskid
June 18th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Yea, but it soothes the feeling when the Jays beat the Reds :).
Added to the fact that our former boy Rolen is now on the Reds is all the nicer :)

Pretty good game..too bad the REDS couldn't get the bats going...Brandon made a GREAT play at second though.....

G. Hoffman
June 18th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Mauer's back, he caught a whole game apparently without problem, and in his first at bat he got himself an RBI single. AND we're now at 12-2, and starting to get our best players back healthy. Heck, they are even saying that Nathan is starting to pitch something more than batting practice again!

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
June 19th, 2011, 10:21 AM
6 in a row, 13 and 2 - damn, its nice to see the Twins play well! And another nice pitchers duel

Gabriel

TenaciousJ
June 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I'm not a huge fan of inter-league play but damn, Phillies-M's was a great weekend of baseball. I say this as a Phils fan, too.

Kicking myself for not planning a trip over to the west side for it, haven't seen the Phillies in person since like '77 and Safeco is a great place to see a game.

jerryskid
June 20th, 2011, 01:30 PM
The REDS FINALLY win their first interleague game of the year, beating the Blue Jays 2-1....it was GREAT pitching all weekend, though they fell just short on both Friday and Saturday....now come the STANKEES....

clicktrack
June 20th, 2011, 01:48 PM
The REDS FINALLY win their first interleague game of the year, beating the Blue Jays 2-1....it was GREAT pitching all weekend, though they fell just short on both Friday and Saturday....now come the STANKEES....

Yea...congrats to you guys, Jerr...taking that 3rd game in the 6th.
Yes...kill the stankees, kill the stankees, kill the stankees...

4th&15
June 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I'm not a huge fan of inter-league play but damn, Phillies-M's was a great weekend of baseball. I say this as a Phils fan, too.

Kicking myself for not planning a trip over to the west side for it, haven't seen the Phillies in person since like '77 and Safeco is a great place to see a game.

Dude
What was Charlie thinking with that lineup he threw out yesterday:icon_eek: Ibanez as the DH? Are fuck'n shit'n me:icon_eek: Another great outing by Hammel's ruined by bad mis-managment:headpalm:
Go Phils...

G. Hoffman
June 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Well the Twins swept the Padres, and the White Sox before that. Now we've got the defending champs.

Gabriel

jerryskid
June 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Well the Twins swept the Padres, and the White Sox before that. Now we've got the defending champs.

The Giants are pretty banged up right now...With the Twins on a roll, they shouldn't have too much trouble....

Fulcrum
June 20th, 2011, 08:20 PM

The Yankees just took two of three from the Cubbiesówhich frankly wasn't entirely unexpected as their infield is having a bitch of a time doing what they're paid for and keeping their heads in the ballgame. The Reds will be something more of a test. But I'll say it again, don't sleep on our pitching; it's better than you think.

Yeah, yeah, famous last words.. but we shall see what we shall see.

G. Hoffman
June 20th, 2011, 09:49 PM
The Giants are pretty banged up right now...With the Twins on a roll, they shouldn't have too much trouble....

Well, I know Lincecum has been struggling this year, and their 29th in the MLB on runs scored, but if I remember right they won the world series last year in either 29th or 30th in runs scored. I'm expecting pitchers duels, and given the way our starters have been tossing the ball, I'm OK with that right now!

Gabriel

jerryskid
June 20th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Travis Wood gets the start tonight for the REDS instead of Johnny Cueto because of a stiff neck...and speaking of sore players

Pujols is out for a while.... (http://philly.sbnation.com/philadelphia-phillies/2011/6/20/2233940/albert-pujols-breaks-arm-will-miss-phillies-series)

4th&15
June 21st, 2011, 12:25 AM
Travis Wood gets the start tonight for the REDS instead of Johnny Cueto because of a stiff neck...and speaking of sore players

Pujols is out for a while.... (http://philly.sbnation.com/philadelphia-phillies/2011/6/20/2233940/albert-pujols-breaks-arm-will-miss-phillies-series)

That sucks,but I don't think any body on the Phillies pitching staff will miss him:Wink:

weedywet
June 21st, 2011, 03:01 AM
All the way from my hotel room in Manchester, England..

The hunt for a Reds... THUHHHHHHHHH YANKEES WIN

Commence bitching

Fulcrum
June 21st, 2011, 03:04 AM
Kudos to the Reds for not laying down in the 9th and instead putting up a fight. Girardi's bullpen caffeine decisions could have cost the Yankees the game, I think.

But the story of the night was Ivan Nova going 8 innings of 4-hit ball with no walks. Who knew he had that in him?

weedywet
June 21st, 2011, 03:07 AM
No one. And Girardi is an idiot. But thhuuuuhhhhh Yankees won.

And even the morons on ESPN noticed that having the Yankees there made them sell out, for a change.

PRobb
June 21st, 2011, 03:12 AM

Oh for fuck sake, the Skankees have to be lucky too?
Come on, 'Skid, take the next two.

jerryskid
June 21st, 2011, 03:16 AM
Wood has been having trouble early all season....he had the one bad inning and then settled down....Cueto tomorrow night and MUCH better pitching....

G. Hoffman
June 22nd, 2011, 03:34 AM
I'm listening to the Twins@Giants.

Top of the first, the Twins are leading 8-0, eight consecutive hits, and no outs. Pavano is out, but I'd say the Pitchers duel I was expecting isn't going to happen.

And there goes two more runs, and Ben Revere now has 2 RBI's in his second at bat of the inning. So far we've got 5 doubles in the inning.

And now, bye bye Bumgarner!

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
June 22nd, 2011, 03:37 AM
I'm listening to the Twins@Giants.

Top of the first, the Twins are leading 8-0, eight consecutive hits, and no outs. Pavano is out, but I'd say the Pitchers duel I was expecting isn't going to happen.

And there goes two more runs, and Ben Revere now has 2 RBI's in his second at bat of the inning. So far we've got 5 doubles in the inning.

And now, bye bye Bumgarner!

Gabriel

Ah well, Mauer hit into a double play.

Still, Pavano has to like the 8-0 cushion he's been given.

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
June 22nd, 2011, 06:02 AM
9-2 final score, Pavano pitched 8 solid innings, and the Twins have won 8 in a row. Of course, they are still 7 games behind .500, but with 8 quality starts in a row, we seem to have gotten some of the problems under control - at least for the moment. Hopefully it lasts.

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
June 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
Bumgarner's ERA for tonight's game was 216.00. No, not 2.16, two hundred sixteen!

Obviously, he had an off night, and he is clearly a better pitcher than that, (that 1/3 of an inning brought his season ERA up by .75 to just over 4, so he is better than his 3-9 record) but I was sure enjoying it!

Gabriel

PRobb
June 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
I swear to God, the Mets are snakebit.
Last month- a lazy infield pop up and Ike Davis and David Wright collide. Davis twists his ankle. Anybody else, 2-3 weeks. But not for the Mets. Looks like he might miss the rest of the season.

weedywet
June 23rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
What season?

jerryskid
June 24th, 2011, 06:19 AM
why it's wabbit season!!

jerryskid
June 24th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Looking forward to these games in Camden Yards...(they still call it that don't they?).....I was lucky enough to go to a game there back when they built it....This was the fall back to BALLPARKS and not stadiums for baseball, so Baltimore gets a thumbs up
(:Thumbsup:) just for that....GO REDS!!!

jerryskid
June 24th, 2011, 04:13 PM
This is just crazy!! (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_lemire/06/23/riggleman.leaving.nationals/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a1)

4th&15
June 28th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hey Skid
Going to the WS preview tonight. Hopefully my boyz will show up at the plate.
Sorry dude,had to go there...:Wink::grin:
Peace

PRobb
June 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM
This is just crazy!! (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_lemire/06/23/riggleman.leaving.nationals/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a1)

The Nats hired Davey Johnson.

As to Riggleman- there has to be something more to the story that we're not hearing. It's just too crazy.

jerryskid
June 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Hey Skid
Going to the WS preview tonight. Hopefully my boyz will show up at the plate.
Sorry dude,had to go there...:Wink::grin:
Peace

You need to check the fine tuning on your crystal ball....still a long way to go....:Coolio:

G. Hoffman
June 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
The Twins have remembered how to suck!!!!

:headpalm: :headpalm: :headpalm: :headpalm:

But in the good news file, people are now talking about Capps as a mid-season trade possibility, which will, I admit, make the bullpen even worse, but at least we'll be able to get rid of his over-large salary.

Gabriel