PDA

View Full Version : Madison Wisconsin - The New Middle East?

radiationroom
February 17th, 2011, 11:59 PM
First Tunis. Then Cairo. Now MADISON WISCONSIN!!! :grin: :vuvu: :vuvu: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/17/wisconsin-protests-scott-walker-police_n_824697.html

On Wednesday there were an estimated 30,000 peacefully rallying in front of the state capitol building, and on Thursday that number is expected to be even higher.

:Coolio: :Coolio: :vuvu: :vuvu:

cozmicslop
February 18th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Law enforcement officers had been sent out to round up the Democratic senators (http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/116381289.html). Sen. Tim Cullen (D) told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that he believed all his colleagues were outside of Wisconsin by now. "I am anyway," he said.What the fuck does this mean?

Will they be rounded up at gun point?

I hear they (Wisconsin State Police) found some of these guys in Rockford, Illinois. They must have pretty fuckin' desperate to hide in that armpit.

G. Hoffman
February 18th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I have yet to figure out how anyone can think they can constantly treat government employee's like an enemy, and then complain about how ineffective the government is. Let's see - cut or freeze their wages none stop, constantly say they are lazy and stupid (when most of the people I know who work in the government are passionate and intelligent people who do what they do as much as anything out of a sense of public duty), and then wonder why the line at the DMV takes 2 hours.

My favorite one is one of our local suburbs who has so decimated their local government staff in an effort to cut taxes that they can no longer figure out where to find the plans for the water mains, or the records of utility payments. All their experienced & qualified staff got so pissed off about being treated like the enemy that they quit. Or the idiots around here who were complaining the city wasn't clearing the (unusually heavy) snow from the corners, but when you suggest the city raise property taxes to pay for it, they scream bloody murder! Like it or not, you get what you pay for.

Good for the missing legislators! Though, with those crowds, the Governor might have a hard time getting his own party to vote with him!

Gabriel

radiationroom
February 18th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Will they be rounded up at gun point?

Welcome to Central Europe, cira 1150-AD.

dwoz
February 18th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Most state constitutions have a provision that allows the speaker of the house or the president of the senate to issue arrest warrants for absent legislators, to achieve a quorum.

For the guys in Illinois, they'd have to get an extradition order too, which I believe would be unprecedented.

Aardvark
February 18th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Welcome to Central Europe, cira 1150-AD.

They had guns in 1150-AD?:icon_eek:

Hehehe

So who exactly calls the police and gets them to go out to forcibly bring elected officials into work?

Could these officials resist such police efforts?

Sheeeeesh.

Cheers,
Aardvark

Johnny
February 18th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Maybe we coulda had an extra chapter or two if MM could have had Willy Show rounded up.

G. Hoffman
February 18th, 2011, 11:23 PM
The question I have is, since the Police in question are among the unions who would be effected by the bill in question, why would they bother?

And of course, the bill in question is almost certainly against federal law, so it would be struck down by the first court challenge.

Gabriel

CloseToTheEdge
February 19th, 2011, 03:20 AM
There's a concerted effort to blame the recession on public employee pensions. It's untrue, of course, but divide and conquer is the strategy. If the middle class and poor can be pitted against middle class public employees, it might confuse them into forgetting exactly who has been raiding the treasury under the guise of the financial sector.

cozmicslop
February 19th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Fucking Rockford????

Why not Detroit??

That shit could have been some drama.

You want to take a historic stand.... you do it... in ...fucking Rockford...

Ya'll fucking failed.

I'm supportive, but fuck. Ya failed me Like Illinois vs Ohio State.

Motherfuckers....

nobby
February 19th, 2011, 02:54 PM
The question I have is, since the Police in question are among the unions who would be effected by the bill in question, why would they bother?

The regular police might not bother, but what about the Secret Police?

G. Hoffman
February 20th, 2011, 06:57 AM
The regular police might not bother, but what about the Secret Police?

One of the things I hadn't heard, but which they pointed out on The News Hour last night - its not from all the public unions that the Governor is trying to take away the collective bargaining rights. It turns out, the only unions he wants to do this to are the ones who endorsed his opponents in the last election. But the part I really liked was the bit where Wisconsin had no budget short fall until they gave their wealthiest citizens a billion dollar tax cut last month.

But this isn't just an attempt to break the unions, its about the budget short fall. :doubledeuce:

Gabriel

cozmicslop
February 20th, 2011, 07:32 AM
One of the things I hadn't heard, but which they pointed out on The News Hour last night - its not from all the public unions that the Governor is trying to take away the collective bargaining rights. It turns out, the only unions he wants to do this to are the ones who endorsed his opponents in the last election. But the part I really liked was the bit where Wisconsin had no budget short fall until they gave their wealthiest citizens a billion dollar tax cut last month.

But this isn't just an attempt to break the unions, its about the budget short fall. :doubledeuce:

Gabriel

Oh well then, that's all good. He's not against 'collective' bargaining rights, He's just in favor of 'selective' bargaining rights.

Ring a bell anyone?

I have a right that you don't have...nyah, nyah, nyah...

Now step your fuckin' ass to the back of the bus, bitch.

I can't see this shit flying. Wisconsin has always seemed a pretty progressive state.