PDA

View Full Version : Ok - so I'm mean...

Knastratt
February 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
And stupid.
And, uhm, mean. :Cry:

How to fold a high-end cable (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/583494-high-end-cables-how-do-you-fold-them.html)!

Keep scrolling towards the end.

I hereby propose/instigate a competition on the best explanation of the said technique. I'll publish the best effort.

:headpalm::lol:

Cheers - Pär

MacGregor
February 21st, 2011, 09:18 PM
And stupid.
And, uhm, mean. :Cry:

How to fold a high-end cable (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/583494-high-end-cables-how-do-you-fold-them.html)!

Keep scrolling towards the end.

I hereby propose/instigate a competition on the best explanation of the said technique. I'll publish the best effort.

:headpalm::lol:

Cheers - Pär

I have a big fork and roll the cable like spaghetti.

See below a photo of one of the interns prepared for doing the job:

Droolbucket
February 21st, 2011, 11:11 PM
High-end cables?

My cables are sticky with beer and coated with glass shards from broken beer bottles.
Torn pieces of duct tape are wrapped around them approximately every 2 feet.
I elbow-wrap 'em, and throw them in a worn-out road case. Somewhere in the bottom of the road case is a ball of velcro that was intended to keep the cables neat and tidy a few decades ago.

If I saw a high-end cable, I'd be afraid to touch it. Same with high-end women.

:Wink:

Keks
February 21st, 2011, 11:57 PM

Obviously you should start with Reidemeister Moves.
Once you have mastered these, you will have a basic theoretical understanding of tangling and untangling cables...

:vuvu:

All the best,
the keks

ivmike
February 22nd, 2011, 12:26 AM
That was fun.... :vuvu:

nobby
February 22nd, 2011, 01:06 AM
Joking aside for the moment, when I went to learn recording many years ago, the very first thing the engineers taught us was the proper way to coil a mic cable for storage.

And they were intense about it... they ANGRILY showed us that the cable had a "memory" of the size of coil to make and you were not to wind up with it twisted. I guess students were mangling their cables.

from about 0:20 to 0:36 :vuvu:

PNb0Tn6hsLQ

G cubed
February 22nd, 2011, 03:15 AM
Over -Under, 1-2, figure 8....

that was how I described it and demonstrated it to the folks I had helping me during the school concert days. "Should be able to toss 100 footer across a stage with out tangles"..If they were elbow wound and I saw them in the case...they came out....
"What, you can't do it that way?...you'll learn"

...and when they had that ...it was time to meet the big snake

:lol:

jerryskid
February 22nd, 2011, 03:52 AM
If I saw a high-end cable, I'd be afraid to touch it. Same with high-end women.

:Wink:

I'm sure your wife is really flattered right now......:icon_eek:

Tomba
February 22nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Another winner is to get a roll for garden hose, hook the first xlr in and wind it on ...when you get to the end...click another XLR in and wind that on....means you can wind your cables real quick and they never get twisted. Winner!

Knastratt
February 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM
Another winner is to get a roll for garden hose, hook the first xlr in and wind it on ...when you get to the end...click another XLR in and wind that on....means you can wind your cables real quick and they never get twisted. Winner!

It's most def a winner for best practise. But it's far from taking a prize for best fictional description of folding a cable using the Auber-Wassermann technique with a double Furkwell twist utilizing a velcro strap. :Wink:

TSTW
February 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Doing a live gig tuther day I had a fella ask if he could shadow a session. I agreed so the following day at a different venue the first thing I taught himto do was wrap cable.

As G Cubed said. Over, under.

It took him most of the night to get to grips with it.
He did ask at one point whether it's a relevent technique and should he really learn it properly

I sent him on a coffee run.

Knastratt
February 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
FTR I fold cables and make a loose knot. As long as you keep track of the connectors while you loosen the knot you should be able to throw the half length of the cable on the floor straight out.

If I ever do FOH again I'll adopt Tomba la Bomba's garden hose cable roll routine in a pig's wink.

Cheers - Pär

G cubed
February 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
SrX9B_JRSWI

Droolbucket
February 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM
I'm sure your wife is really flattered right now......:icon_eek:

I wouldn't know.... I'm afraid to touch her.

Knastratt
February 23rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
For the first time in history a few peeps showed signs of humour. Many of them Wombians, though. :lol:

I love the guy who asked just below my ranting if I could explain the technique. :lol:

He posted this (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/6368297-post53.html) later on. I just couldn't resist. :headpalm:

ivmike
February 23rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
For the first time in history a few peeps showed signs of humour. Many of them Wombians, though. :lol:

I love the guy who asked just below my ranting if I could explain the technique. :lol:

He posted this (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/6368297-post53.html) later on. i just couldn't resist. :headpalm:

I'm certain that you enjoyed my response to that little tirade of his... :vuvu:

transistordaze
February 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Could somebody tell me which end the high end is?

Knastratt
February 23rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Could somebody tell me which end the high end is?

Look for the arrows!

qharley
February 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Been using a technique similar to the garden hose for years. You get smaller rolls without stands made to roll your long electric lawnmower leads - It's MADE for cable, and I can roll two twenty meter cable lengths on one.

20 meter cable, you ask?

Poor man's snake... and I still did not have the urge to go buy me a proper snake yet - not while the cables I have keeps working.

HOOK
February 23rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
:headpalm:

This is why I´m not a member of GearZSlutZe.....

fHOOKyerSt00pid....

Knastratt
February 24th, 2011, 02:01 AM
I'm certain that you enjoyed my response to that little tirade of his... :vuvu: