PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Therapy - Walking on Planet C

Wide-O
February 25th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Some of you may already be following his blog, but if not, Nile Rodgers is recovering from serious cancer surgery.

His blog can be found here (http://nilerodgers.com/blog/planet-c-blog-roll/266-walking-on-planet-c-guitar-therapy).

He is one of my heroes, and his daily blog takes you back to a lot of music...

Today he's going to hear if the treatment was successful.

When you have a few minutes to spare. :)

http://nilerodgers.com/images/stories/wopc-40_main.jpg

TubaSolo
February 25th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I tried to shrug off the doctor theme, but, related songs popped into my head, seemingly from nowhere. I got silly for a moment and sang the old novelty song "The Witch Doctor" and that made me think of Dr. John's song called "Gris-Gris," where he talks about being able to cure all manner of things with Voodoo. Dr. John's nickname is Mac - he's a good friend of mine.

I had a really Crazy Cancer Thought: if I get bad news on Friday I wonder if Mac can do any of that voodoo braggadocio in his song "Gris-Gris?" I wouldn't really ask him, but I did have a Crazy Cancer Thought about it.

I idolized the guy in my early twenties. I find him admirable and inspiring now, he even manages to be funny and cheer me up, going through his ordeal... a genuine creative force.

Goes211
February 25th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Following his Planet C blog on a daily basis.
Dude is truly inspirational to me.

ParamB
February 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Beyond his incredible influence on so many other musicians,everything I've ever read read or heard about him makes him seem like such a warm and decent human being....thanks for making me aware of his blog.

plughead
February 27th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Get well soon, NR - you've made a helluvalot of people's lives better with the music you've created...

Wide-O
February 27th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Beyond his incredible influence on so many other musicians,everything I've ever read read or heard about him makes him seem like such a warm and decent human being....thanks for making me aware of his blog.

You are welcome, but he's doing the hard work. That blog smacks of honesty.

I think - like many talented people (him, not me) - he can be relentless as well. And he is a brainiac. But if you read the full story of his life, drugs/alcohol did play a big part in when & why he wasn't nice. OTOH, how do you keep up with such a work tempo?

He is finishing a book about himself BTW, in the stores in 9 months. I hope it's a good balance to "Chic & The Politics of Disco (http://www.amazon.com/Chic-Everybody-Dance-Politics-Disco/dp/1900924560)". Not a bad read at all, but it somehow doesn't feel balanced.

Get well soon, NR - you've made a helluvalot of people's lives better with the music you've created...

There is no doubt about that! But you can tell him that personally on that blog. Heck, sometimes he even replies! :)

Following his Planet C blog on a daily basis.
Dude is truly inspirational to me.

What caught me most is that he can walk around in NYC, and very few people will recognize him...

Wide-O
April 16th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I think he's better. Music doesn't get much better than this. Just guitar, keyboard, voices...

eRnPMbfcSwc

gronk
April 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I think he's better. Music doesn't get much better than this. Just guitar, keyboard, voices...

eRnPMbfcSwc

Thank you so much for that. There is no substitute for talent.

PRobb
April 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I assisted on a bunch of Chic sessions.
Any stories you hear about Nile being a really nice guy are probably true.

Wide-O
April 18th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Today, it is 15 years ago that Bernard passed away in a hotel room in Tokyo.

I know years are a human construction (well, not entirely ;) ), but I do know some guy over there is hurting over it.

RIP Bernard.

Wide-O
August 22nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
If anyone wants to give him a thumbs up or crossed fingers, today seems to be a good time.

http://www.nilerodgers.com/blog/planet-c-blog-roll/484-walking-on-planet-c-i-guess-its-surgery-after-all

Damn.

gonzo-x
August 22nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
fuckk all

too real

prayers and beams

John Eppstein
August 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Best wishes and prayers.

studiomusic
August 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Been following his blog. Dude is the real deal. Quite the human.

Wide-O
August 29th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Been following his blog. Dude is the real deal. Quite the human.

Amazing, isn't it? This week he went through emergency surgery, an earthquake, and Irene. Still he's making jokes.

(If you don't follow the blog, he's OK now)

If you combine his blog with his tweets, you get a picture of someone who could also have been a comedian.

"Need to go to the doc today. All electricity is out though. I asked him if they ran on Black Power. Ka Boom!" (ad lib)

:grin:

His book will be out in about a month or so.

plughead
August 30th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Fukk...

Sad to read this.

Happy that he is still upbeat and going strong regardless.

That clip above shows testament to how fucking good 'some' people can play/sing, and damn they do it well.

Not a X-tain so no prayers involved: happy thoughts sent his way tho...

Carlo
September 2nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
...ditto.