PDA

View Full Version : this business has changed my approach to consumer electronics

pounce
February 27th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I had some co-workers, actors in a show I'm working on, ask about ipod docks recently. Mind you, we are touring. Ipods and docks are about the only practical answer for what you can haul around with you.

In directing them to some of the only good sounding options that exist, I realize that I have completely overshot their budget and interest in such things. I ended up picking up an Audyssey SOMA dock, which does a very agreeable job for what it is. It will do just fine as an ipod dock so long as my expectations are scaled accordingly. I think it's arguably the best one I've encountered. That said, at 400 bucks it is not prohibitively expensive, but only someone like myself would care enough about the audio quality to spend the dosh on it.

I got some new earbuds for myself. Very decent VModa ones. They sound pretty good. I tried the apple ones again one afternoon and couldn't listen to anything on them. Oddly bad for something so ubiquitous.

My point is that I am realizing that I have a much higher expectation from any consumer electronics that output audio. Don't even get me started about home theatre in a box. Can't do it. I have some nice big ass speakers so that my man cave at home actually sounds decent like it should. But it takes some money and doing. A surprising majority of the cheaper consumer audio options some like the devils ass. Sure, they are cheap, but just terrible. I certainly couldn't find an ipod dock for under 200 bucks that I was willing to subject myself to listening to. Terrible.

Anyway, having coffee and enjoying the new radiohead album (downloadble wav files) on my Audyssey SOMA dock and it's a nice way to start the day.

Zachg
February 27th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I know what you mean.. After hearing the Avatar soundtrack on my boss' hifi demo sytem, (Snell speakers and McIntosh labs amps, cd player, etc) it has totally changed how I hear everything. Now almost every consumer system I've heard sounds vaguely similar to ass.

Ignorance is bliss. And it's much, much cheaper.

nobby
February 27th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Years ago when my brother bought his stereo -- Theil speakers bi-amped with two separate Bryston amps, expensive high end CD player -- I thought he was crazy to spend all that money on a stereo.

But it reveals stuff you just can't hear on typical repro systems.

Fulcrum
February 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Did he connect them with Monster Cables?

Fulcrum runs for cover and hides in the caves outside Tabul

nobby
February 27th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I think he did :lol:

But they were just over-priced heavy gauge wire back then. I think the ridiculous claims came later, but I can't remember TBH.

radiationroom
March 1st, 2011, 12:09 AM
Ignorance is bliss. And it's much, much cheaper.

Which is why if you ever find a woman that has a better stereo than you do MARRY HER!!!