PDA

View Full Version : trent reznor wins oscar?

gonzo-x
February 28th, 2011, 11:52 PM
wtf

G. Hoffman
February 28th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I haven't seen the movie, so I have no idea if he deserves it (though it is almost certainly not your typical soundtrack, which isn't a bad thing, and he is a genius), but the thing I did notice was that he look more uncomfortable in a tux than just about anyone I've ever seen.

Gabriel

Johnny
March 1st, 2011, 12:05 AM
The music is fantastic, and completely makes the vibe of the film.

Hearing Mr. "I hate everybody" thank the Academy and his wife was kinda odd. Wait til he has some kids!

Burn em
March 1st, 2011, 12:07 AM
wtf

Ive heard people felt it in the back of their throat since this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYBx5NJULY

radiationroom
March 1st, 2011, 12:07 AM
I haven't seen the movie, so I have no idea if he deserves it

Great movie. Excellent soundtrack. Suggest you take time for it.

Personally I'm a Hans Zimmer fan but have no argument with Reznor winning the Oscar.

but the thing I did notice was that he look more uncomfortable in a tux than just about anyone I've ever seen.

Not his usual venue by any means. If I would have been him I would have worn a nice suit jacket over a movie promotional t-shirt or something else that screams "musician". Suits are way way too stuffy...

G. Hoffman
March 1st, 2011, 12:24 AM
Not his usual venue by any means. If I would have been him I would have worn a nice suit jacket over a movie promotional t-shirt or something else that screams "musician". Suits are way way too stuffy...

I'm afraid that, for the Oscars, you really do need to wear a tux. Anything less is wrong.

Gabriel

digiengineer
March 1st, 2011, 12:40 AM
wtf

The Three 6 Mafia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_6_Mafia) won and Oscar in 2005 for "It's Hard out Here for a Pimp", so Trent Reznor winning for Best Score is hardly a surprise... although I thought Danny Elfman would have won before he did. :Cry:

nobby
March 1st, 2011, 01:19 AM
I haven't seen the movie.

I find this a bit troublesome:

Disputed accuracy

Author Jeff Jarvis, of the forthcoming book Public Parts, interviewed Zuckerberg and believes Sorkin has made too much of the story up. He states, "That's what the internet is accused of doing, making stuff up, not caring about the facts."[62]

According to David Kirkpatrick, former technology editor at Fortune magazine and author of The Facebook Effect:The Inside Story of the Company That Is Connecting the World, (2011),[63] "the film is only "40% true. . . he is not snide and sarcastic in a cruel way, the way Zuckerberg is played in the movie." He says that "a lot of the factual incidents are accurate, but many are distorted and the overall impression is false," and concludes that primarily "his motivations were to try and come up with a new way to share information on the internet."[62]

Although the film portrays Zuckerberg's creation of Facebook in order to elevate his stature after not getting into any of the elite final clubs at Harvard, Zuckerberg himself said he had no interest in joining the final clubs.[1] Kirkpatrick agrees that the impression implied by the film is "false."[62]

Karel Baloun, a former senior engineer at Facebook, notes that the "image of Zuckerberg as a socially inept nerd is overstated . . .It is fiction. . ." He likewise dismisses the film's assertion that he "would deliberately betray a friend."[62]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg

E. Shaun
March 1st, 2011, 02:40 AM
The movie was simply "okay". It wasn't a bad movie, but it certainly wasn't Oscar-caliber stuff, in my opinion. Black Swan, on the other hand, was brilliant. Winter's Bone is great, though unrelentingly bleak. Inception is beautifully conceived and realized, though maybe a tad heavy-handed. Toy Story 3 was cute, but probably didn't deserve a nomination either. I haven't seen any of the other films yet, but I'm glad The Social Network didn't win, as many projected it would.

I thought the score for The Social Network was great though. Likewise for Inception, but like Johnny said, Reznor's score added a whole new element to the film, rather than merely complement an already good film like the other scores did.

Tim Halligan
March 1st, 2011, 02:44 AM
Haven't seen the flick.

One hopes Reznor did a better job on this film than he did with David Lynch on Lost Highway.

Speaking of Lynch, he has an album out. Triple J played one of the tracks on air and for the first time in my life I was moved enough to text the station and beg them to never play such utter drivel again.

Must've worked. It sunk without trace.

Cheers,
Tim

PS. The word 'genius' gets thrown around too much. No denying that Reznor is a talented and creative guy...but genius? Please.

nobby
March 1st, 2011, 02:57 AM
Speaking of Lynch, he has an album out. Triple J played one of the tracks on air and for the first time in my life I was moved enough to text the station and beg them to never play such utter drivel again.

Must've worked. It sunk without trace.

No bullhorn warning? No shot over the bow, just torpedoes away?

That's cold, man :grin:

ragman
March 1st, 2011, 03:29 AM
Trent talks about his experience scoring a bit in this interview. It goes for a while, but I think its a cool example of how much his music changed the tone of the film. Skip to 4:10 and then about 15:45 for the main example.

http://video.yandex.ru/users/sweet-lady-irena/view/877/

(Couldn't find a better video, sorry for the quality)

G. Hoffman
March 1st, 2011, 05:23 AM
PS. The word 'genius' gets thrown around too much. No denying that Reznor is a talented and creative guy...but genius? Please.

It sure is, but he is. You are welcome to disagree, but NIN has some of the more creative stuff of the last couple decades.

Gabriel

amopae
March 1st, 2011, 06:44 AM
It sure is, but he is. You are welcome to disagree, but NIN has some of the more creative stuff of the last couple decades.

Gabriel

Heh, this sounded as if you were summoning Zoesch, who is a huge NIN/Reznor fanboy :lol:

G. Hoffman
March 1st, 2011, 06:56 AM
Heh, this sounded as if you were summoning Zoesch, who is a huge NIN/Reznor fanboy :lol:

Is there a problem with that?

Gabriel

amopae
March 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM
Is there a problem with that?

Gabriel

Not at all...I actually agree with all you said...

Cary Chilton
March 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM

Gabriel
Fucking rights! NIN site is cool for it's remix ring.

Knastratt
March 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
The word 'genius' gets thrown around too much. No denying that Reznor is a talented and creative guy...but genius? Please.

I'm a genius. But I can live with that.

TSTW
March 1st, 2011, 01:17 PM
Haven't seen the flick.

One hopes Reznor did a better job on this film than he did with David Lynch on Lost Highway.

I remember that flick. Soundtrack wasn't bad.

Waltz Mastering
March 1st, 2011, 04:11 PM
Glad he won, but still trying to figure out why they let Gwyneth Paltrow sing on these award show's.

E. Shaun
March 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Glad he won, but still trying to figure out why they let Gwyneth Paltrow sing on these award show's.

Yeah, that was pretty horrible. All pops, formants and lack of pitch. She's starting to look older now, too. I always thought she was one of the most beautiful of her generation of movie actresses.

G. Hoffman
March 1st, 2011, 09:04 PM
Nice to see Randy Newman get one, though, even if he did have to go Disney to do it. (Yes, I know Pixar is no longer part of Disney, but once a Rat Bastard in shorts, always a Rat Bastard in shorts.)

Gabriel