PDA

View Full Version : And Speaking of Canada...

ManRoom Studio
March 2nd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Regulators have just rejected a proposal to allow Fox-style "news" to be broadcast in Canada - apparently, along with fiscal responsibility, Canadians demand honesty in their media - Didn't youse guys learn nuttin' from US?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr/fox-news-will-not-be-moving-into-canada-after-all_b_829473.html

The ManRoom

(Remember, it's rape, pillage, then burn.)

Cosmic Pig
March 2nd, 2011, 08:50 AM
Canadian media is a hair less goofy, but 90% of it is American anyways. They have some kinda Canadian content dealio but nobody watches that shit. All the talent goes to the states and gets shipped back on the airwaves. Canadian content on the radio means just keep surfing until you find something that isn't Tragically Hip.

Cos.

clicktrack
March 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
Canadian media is a hair less goofy, but 90% of it is American anyways. They have some kinda Canadian content dealio but nobody watches that shit. All the talent goes to the states and gets shipped back on the airwaves. Canadian content on the radio means just keep surfing until you find something that isn't Tragically Hip.

Cos.

Wow...

Need a smilie emoticon somewhere in there somewhere to let us know you're joking.

Otherwise, I'd mistake your stunningly accurate reporting of the "facts" as if they were delivered by fox news themselves...

Cosmic Pig
March 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Lol... well it's sorta true. I've watched Jack In The Box ads my whole life but never seen one. I also know where to go sell my car for scrap in Georgia. Why they ran that ad up here I have no idea.

We have very few successful Canadian TV shows. They might broadcast lots of Canadian content, but off the top of my head I'd say 90% of what is actually watched is American.

And I'm sick to death of Tragically Hip.

Cos.

plughead
March 3rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
There has been ongoing debate on this for awhile now: a lot of apathy here, but there is a very vocal minority that have taken the powers to task over allowing 'fast food' media infiltrate the airwaves. Of course, I didn't support it, but then again I've lived without TV (cable/etc. - not even rabbit ears!) since 1991.

I can't speak on our current television programming - I haven't a clue of what is current or in vogue, tho - I agree, Canadian programming has always been sucky at best. At least the national news (CBC) is alright, tho like all broadcast media, is kowtowing to basic 'approved' content, not unlike our US counterparts.

All I know is - it won't affect me or my family...

and PS - I'm also tired of 'lowest common denominator' rock like the Hip (sludge-rock, based on lame-ass licks). If I could say anything good about them would be: I can appreciate Gord's lyrics...