PDA

View Full Version : Score!

John Eppstein
March 4th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Well, after a year of looking, false starts, and watching spiraling inflation on prices I finally got a decent bass amp.

1965 Ampeg B-18N Portaflex with an 18 inch Gauss speaker. 800 bucks, about half of the going price on Ebay. I'm pretty jazzed...

Gotta cut my bar and restaurant costs this month to pay for it, but I couldn't pass it up at the price.

Dogbreath
March 4th, 2011, 06:05 PM
poidh. :Coolio:

:grin:

nah....score indeed man. Good price too. You run it thru the paces yet?
And I was only half kidding....pics pleez. :very happy:

John Eppstein
March 4th, 2011, 10:56 PM
poidh. :Coolio:

:grin:

nah....score indeed man. Good price too. You run it thru the paces yet?
And I was only half kidding....pics pleez. :very happy:

Ok.

Starfucker
March 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I think I know who will cause the next earthquake.

BTW I just found me an SVT-400T and a road ready Mesa 215 800W Diesel cab. Pretty much the same rig Krist used on Nevermind and their live shows around that time if we can believe the internets.

Tim Halligan
March 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I think I know who will cause the next earthquake.

BTW I just found me an SVT-400T and a road ready Mesa 215 800W Diesel cab. Pretty much the same rig Krist used on Nevermind and their live shows around that time if we can believe the internets.

Ah.

So it sucks then?

I think there's a law the precludes the inferring that certain gear + Nirvana = actually good.

:headpalm:

Cheers,
Tim

Cosmic Pig
March 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Noice. Can't beat a bigass speaker. The current 4-10 fashion don't turn my guts to water like a good old 18.

Cos.

Knastratt
March 6th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Nice catch. Somewhat reminds me of a larger version of my THD UniValve! :Thumbsup:

Starfucker
March 7th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Ah.

So it sucks then?

I think there's a law the precludes the inferring that certain gear + Nirvana = actually good.

:headpalm:

Cheers,
Tim

It works... sort of

onze_jef
March 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
John, how do you like the sound?

John Eppstein
March 9th, 2011, 04:23 AM
John, how do you like the sound?

It sounds exactly like it should - as I expected it to, as I've owned a number of Portaflex series amps before.

Funny thing about the old Portaflex amps - they're not really LOUD but the sound is a lot more "right" than more "modern" amps with far more power. You plug into it, twist a couple of knobs, and it just works.

The only slight criticism I have of it is the Gauss replacement speaker - it's very stiff. I'd rather have the original Cleveland speaker or a JBL or Peavey Black Widow, which are more compliant. I may switch out the speaker later, sell the Gauss to somebody with some sort of high powered behemoth.

PRobb
March 9th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Bass+Ampeg+18" speaker. YUMMY!!!!!!!