PDA

View Full Version : i ate Ta Tanka

gonzo-x
March 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
i ate Ta Tanka

(nakota for 'bison')

heheh

it is quite good, very lean.
i've been eating it ever since i moved out to utah (2000).
we either make chili, or 'bisonburgers' with it.

i always feel a bit sad, because i really like the bison the way they are, alive and running around.
but, my savage hunger for meat always wins out.

also really dig Elk.

any other game meat lovers?

CloseToTheEdge
March 7th, 2011, 06:26 PM
You picked the two that I like. Nothing 'gamey' about elk or bison and I go for it whenever I have the opportunity.

I don't hunt elk (or anything else), but my wife works with a couple avid hunters so we mooch off them.

otek
March 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM
From the Swedish cuisine, the Rådjurssadel :D (basically the short loin of the Roe Deer) with roasted root vegetables, potatoes and a sauce with redcurrant jelly and wine, is a pretty awesome-tasting dish.

http://www.recept.nu/polopoly_fs/1.316823.1297160238!image/1253258560.jpg_gen/derivatives/w450/1253258560.jpg

A good Shiraz, like a Hermitage or Côte-Rôtie, is a perfect complement.

otek

Knastratt
March 7th, 2011, 09:44 PM
From the Swedish cuisine, the Rådjurssadel :D (basically the short loin of the Roe Deer) with roasted root vegetables, potatoes and a sauce with redcurrant jelly and wine, is a pretty awesome-tasting dish.

http://www.recept.nu/polopoly_fs/1.316823.1297160238!image/1253258560.jpg_gen/derivatives/w450/1253258560.jpg

A good Shiraz, like a Hermitage or Côte-Rôtie, is a perfect complement.

otek

We'll be there! :)

Fearnloathing
March 7th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Best steak I have ever eaten was Kangaroo. Although water buffalo is pretty tasty also.

John Eppstein
March 8th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I'm partial to bison, ostrich, and barbecued gator. Goat, too.......

plughead
March 8th, 2011, 03:38 AM
In order of preference:

moose
caribou (very dry/lean - best cooked with bacon!)
bison
elk

I have tried dall sheep, and it is splendid, but too hard to bag.

I miss all the wild beast and fish from my past life in the north. I wish there were some way of getting some shipped south, cos TBH, there is nothing 'wild' here and worthy of cooking...:Thumbdown:

Aardvark
March 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I'm partial to bison, ostrich, and barbecued gator...

Ostrich is wonderful as is Impala and, of course, Warthog.

I swear this to be true.

Cheers,
NotbigonbuttriedMopaneVArk

John Eppstein
March 8th, 2011, 05:35 AM

I swear this to be true.

Cheers,

Warthog?

Philbert Desanex?

qharley
March 8th, 2011, 07:11 AM

I swear this to be true.

Cheers,

You've been to "Carnivour's" as well?

We have a eatery here in the south-land close to the Cradle of Mankind. You pay at the door, sit down in front of an empty plate, and wait for servers dressed like Zulu warriors to bring the meat to the table. They carry it in whole pieces, suspended on a spit that looks spear like (for effect) and they cut off chunks of whatever you would like to try right there on your plate...

Kudu is quite tasty, if well prepared (can be a bit tough) but I must say the Ostrich is always a winner there. Warthog is quite good. Snake and Crocodile tastes like a combination of hake fish and chicken.

The only Big 5 I ever tasted was Elephant, and it was a bit like chewing on a rubber tree...

You have to try the Mopani, but like the hockey lover, I would definitely not make staple of it.

One thing... Come Hungry!

Aardvark
March 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM
You've been to "Carnivour's" as well?

No, not yet.

But between Zimbabwe, Botswana, Tanzania and Ethiopia (among others) I have had chance to dine on many regional African dishes.

The only Big 5 I ever tasted was Elephant, and it was a bit like chewing on a rubber tree...

Avoid.

Simple.

You have to try the Mopani, but like the hockey lover, I would definitely not make staple of it.

Actually... you do not need to try eating fucking tree worms. Trust me. Passing on that is just fine.:lol:

One thing... Come Hungry!

Afrifuckingca rocks in so many ways it is hard to describe.

Food, music, brotherhood and... well... let's be honest... the women are a ton of fun and the music is more infectious than Paris Hilton's pap smear.

Cheers,
Aardvark

Barish
March 8th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Cool.

So what's next in the checklist then? Dancing with the wolves?

clarito
March 8th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I love bison and ostrich burgers, eat 'em on the regular.

Big fan of rattlesnake and rabbit as well.

John Eppstein
March 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I love bison and ostrich burgers, eat 'em on the regular.

Big fan of rattlesnake and rabbit as well.

Yeah, when I was touring in France I was into the Lapin Moutarde in a big way. Also not bad in an Italian red sauce or broiled....

PRobb
March 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Cinghiale!
Italian for wild boar.

Johnny
March 8th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Buffalo's good eatin.'

Pimp-X
March 8th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Caribou, Marmot and of course, Bald Eagle. Outstanding! ;)

qharley
March 8th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Anyone tried Kiwi, or Wallabies lately?

Springbok is not bad at all actually!

Pimp-X
March 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM
One enterprising lad down here was trying to make a case for farming Kiwis (the bird, not the fruit or the person) for food, as no species farmed for food has ever died out.

It didn't go over that well.

Anyway I'm sure they'd be quite stringy and disagreeable.

qharley
March 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM
It didn't go over that well.

:Wink:

That's what I intended with my little taboo.

We have springbok farmers here :grin:

Fulcrum
March 8th, 2011, 10:28 PM
When I'm at a county fair, I generally always make a beeline for the buffalo burger wagon when I get a little peckish.

The best venison medallions I ever enjoyed were at a restaurant just off the McGill campus the last time I was in Montréal. I got to savor the waitress later.

Carlo
March 9th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Buffalo's good eatin.'

Are we lookin' for the next Womb waterin' hole?

I gotta get down there before summer when I melt!

CloseToTheEdge
March 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM
The best venison I've ever had was in a little Cambodian restaurant in Long Beach. My friend knew the owner and a pal of his had just been hunting.

With chop sticks, we dipped the venison raw into this piping hot soup served in a great big metal bowl at the table. It cooked quickly and we ate it with the soup. They called it Satay, or saute, or sate' or something like that. It had a sterno can under the communal bowl to keep it hot. Delicious venison, and the soup got better and better the more venison that was cooked in there.

Marvelous with a cold Asahi.

gronk
March 10th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Best steak I have ever eaten was Kangaroo.

If you send me a shipping container I could probably fill it with the road kill around here. Feel free to take as many as you'd like.

Johnny
March 11th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Are we lookin' for the next Womb waterin' hole?

I gotta get down there before summer when I melt!
There's a little dive here that's made buffalo burgers their deal. Used to go there when the Drum/Keyboard/Guitar Shop was still around. Haven't been in a long time. Let's do it.

otek
March 11th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I got to savor the waitress later.

With some Fava beans and a nice Chianti? :Confused:

otek

Fulcrum
March 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM
With some Fava beans and a nice Chianti? :Confused:

Only insofar as it made her feel good.

binaural turbine
March 11th, 2011, 05:13 PM
at th' deerfield fayah, i enjoy an aish cold millah with a bison burgah, yessha. mmm, wicked good.

John Eppstein
March 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM
at th' deerfield fayah, i enjoy an aish cold millah with a bison burgah, yessha. mmm, wicked good.

You usually drink the chilled piss of the animal you're consuming?:Roll eyes:

binaural turbine
March 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
You usually drink the chilled piss of the animal you're consuming?:Roll eyes:

:lol:

No, but the preferred Sam Adams or micro brew doesn't sound as loquacious in a new hampshire accent, nosah.