PDA

View Full Version : The old Rec(luse) Pit

johnnywellas
March 14th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Most veterans praise the old recpit forums' contents, here, at that purple place, at the marshmallowy place, etc.

Apparently the archive hit the shitter and never came to be, so there's no way to find out what all the fuss was about.

Does anyone know any news about it? Will there be a recpitstein ressurrection? Or can I just STFU and crawl back under my muddy stone? :Uh oh:

Thanks.

Brendo
March 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Check your PM's. There will never be a Recpit resurrection AFAIK.... this is it, buddy.

E. Shaun
March 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM
In all honesty, I don't think the RecPit would be all that great reading material anymore anyhow. Zeitgeist (if you'll forgive the buzzword) played a large role in the entertainment value there, just as it will here. Eight years from now who knows what the Womb will look like. Though Ethan will surely still be taking shots at Mixie. :very happy:

Honestly though, the only thing I really miss about that place is the posters. Many made the transition to the MARSH and then here, but there are several (who shall remain nameless) that I truly miss reading.

Slipperman
March 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM
In all honesty, I don't think the RecPit would be all that great reading material anymore anyhow. Zeitgeist (if you'll forgive the buzzword) played a large role in the entertainment value there, just as it will here. Eight years from now who knows what the Womb will look like. Though Ethan will surely still be taking shots at Mixie. :very happy:
Honestly though, the only thing I really miss about that place is the posters. Many made the transition to the MARSH and then here, but there are several (who shall remain nameless) that I truly miss reading.

My best humorous creative writing work by MILES was lost forever with that sites demise.

I wasn't alone.

Probably had 2000 hrs. of my life invested there.

A lifestyle and mindset which was dramatically different from anything I could ever muster since or again.

Might not mean much to you but I beg to differ.

That data loss was an unmitigated disaster and a total fiasco in my NTLBFHO(there's a hallmark acronym of my RecPit days).

In short: Zeitgeist my fucking balls.

SM.

Goes211
March 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM

SM.

ZMFB.
Classic.
:lol:

Johnny
March 14th, 2011, 10:27 PM
That's how I feel about the movie.

Johnny
March 14th, 2011, 10:33 PM
http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20040612040631/http://recpit.prosoundweb.com/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=6658ef0c8cd25aad0fbb54e8e21b2016

E. Shaun
March 14th, 2011, 10:42 PM
My best humorous creative writing work by MILES was lost forever with that sites demise.

I wasn't alone.

Probably had 2000 hrs. of my life invested there.

A lifestyle and mindset which was dramatically different from anything I could ever muster since or again.

Might not mean much to you but I beg to differ.

That data loss was an unmitigated disaster and a total fiasco in my NTLBFHO(there's a hallmark acronym of my RecPit days).

SM.

Every one of my posts should come with the disclaimer that I might be talking out of my ass.

And that they will always, always be trumped by a Slipperpost. :Coolio:

Fulcrum
March 14th, 2011, 10:55 PM
http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20040612040631/http://recpit.prosoundweb.com/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=6658ef0c8cd25aad0fbb54e8e21b2016

I tried that too, back in the day, but I don't think the site ever archived any of the threads themselves. I mean, you can click on what appear to be threads, but they lead to a page stating that the content of that page wasn't archived.

Maybe I've been looking at the wrong archives?

E. Shaun
March 15th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I'd love to read the legend of Billy Flutey again.

Barish
March 15th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.

All those moments did get lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

johnnywellas
March 15th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I'm just curious whether the archives still do exist, as in, are they still stored in some hard drive somewhere?

Despite the fuckup to put that info back online, back in 2004 or whatever, if the data is still alive and stored, wherever that may be, couldn't it be restored, even if somewhere other than the owner's site? Copyright issues?

Thanks anyway. So much for Bill Flutey.

Slipperman
March 15th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.

All those moments did get lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

The finest scene of his career Barish.

Hands down.

Amazing what ya can do with stellar direction/production, huh?

HOHOHO.

XOXOX

Slippy

PS. Billy Flutey was M A R S H... if memory serves. Right?

Tim Halligan
March 15th, 2011, 02:12 AM

Nope...that was the constant demand that you finish the story.

Went on for years...

:headpalm:

Cheers,
Tim

E. Shaun
March 15th, 2011, 02:25 AM

Went on for years...

Cheers,
Tim

Actually, if I remember correctly, the promise of a completion to the Flutey saga was one of the tools used to retain members in the transition from the RecPit to MARSH... :very happy:

I need to dust off my copy of Blade Runner again. That quote just sent utter chills down my spine.

TheNetStudio
March 15th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I always thought the Recpit had its greatest value in the tireless and virtually unlimited ways in which people who were wrong could insult people who were right into submission.

Just when you thought a persons lineage or personal preferences could not be insulted any further, you would be blinded without warning by a brilliant yet disturbing post that strung words together in a way that gave you pause for it's shear vitriol.

Zeitgeist for sure. It was a time and place where you tread with the full knowledge that being right was not nearly as important as being able trade verbal assaults.

My popcorn maker doesn't get nearly the use it did back then.

Reminded me a lot of NetNews in the 90's

jerryskid
March 15th, 2011, 04:47 AM

Went on for years...

Cheers,
Tim

and we're STILL waiting......:Confused:

ella
March 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
There is a disturbance in the force......

I believe the story was initiated in the 'wetlands that became bog', and, as mentioned above, never really finished. There was that one monologue wherein it was supposedly finished, but really that amounted to capping a really great story with "and then we were really scared and ran away the end".

It was a brilliant story, very well written IMO...

Slipperman
March 15th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Zeitgeist for sure. It was a time and place where you tread with the full knowledge that being right was not nearly as important as being able trade verbal assaults.

Yeah.

Ya hadta have a some semblance of a sense of humor to survive in that joint.

Fer example: If you were a droll fukwit of a nerdo computer drone trying flog a hairbrained internot "one world studio" stylee moribund pony...

You'd be totally fucked back then.

Somebody would get a whiff of the stench emanating from the rotting cadaver of your sense of self-deprecation, and storm the fuck over to smash yer vainglorious grille in.

All in good fun of course.

Place was good like that.

Real efficient at sifting through the glass jaws and candy-asses.

Hey. Ya never know... There may still be a few of those particular kinds of coprophagous beasties left in the rubble.

Lemme get my cockroach killers on.

Gotta be vigilant.

HOHOHO.

SM.

E. Shaun
March 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hey. Ya never know... There may still be a few of those particular kinds of coprophagous beasties left in the rubble.

Every
proffesional
producer
sometimes
thinks
everyone's an
internet
noob...

Barish
March 15th, 2011, 09:31 PM
The finest scene of his career Barish.

Hands down.

Amazing what ya can do with stellar direction/production, huh?

HOHOHO.

XOXOX

Slippy

Indeed, my lord.

RecPit was a stellar design and chemistry.

It was very much like an ant tribe. Everyone pulled it to wherever they thought was right, and still it somehow went to a certain direction.

A fucking wall.

And a brickwall at that.

Some people blamed it on Waves L2. I don't know. I was at home sleeping and I have an alibi.

I can't say I don't miss Bob Chessman once in a while.

...and Jack Ortman.

Apparently he finally sold his exclusive 57 purveying company and retired from the business with his wife Ellie and kids to a ranch in Wisconsin, I've heard.

He'd sent me a couple of pictures taken by the poolside in his last emails. Teaching his little son how to survive in water at an early age:

http://www.jackortman.net/uploaded_images/DSC_7830-701094.JPG

And, you know:

http://www.jackortman.net/uploaded_images/photo-790423-790463.jpg

I guess the reason why he was so in love with SM57 was because he was not so good at catching falling U47s after all.

Huh well, somethings never change. Gotta love people for who they are.

Anyway, he wants to hear from you. Check out their web page in your coffee break would you?

http://jackortman.net

B.

TheNetStudio
March 16th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Yeah.

Ya hadta have a some semblance of a sense of humor to survive in that joint.

Fer example: If you were a droll fukwit of a nerdo computer drone trying flog a hairbrained internot "one world studio" stylee moribund pony...

You'd be totally fucked back then.

I forgot about that... Quite right though...

Forget the hairbrained idea of sharing tracks over the internot... The mere mention of anything digital in your signal chain was just cause for a spirited round of public floggings... And if you used Alsihad... God help you... Ahhh.... It was a simpler time when there was no future for digital recording, and analog tape was going to rule forever.

Somebody would get a whiff of the stench emanating from the rotting cadaver of your sense of self-deprecation, and storm the fuck over to smash yer vainglorious grille in.

All in good fun of course.

Place was good like that.

Real efficient at sifting through the glass jaws and candy-asses.

Lemme get my cockroach killers on.

Gotta be vigilant.

HOHOHO.

SM.

Could it be? Does it's heart still beat?

Slipperman
March 16th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Could it be? Does it's heart still beat?

Ahh me.

*sigh*

I gave it my best.

Mere shadow of my former self.

{Slipperman shuffles into the shadows}

SM.