PDA

View Full Version : More Megaquakes to come? SOON?

DeyBwah
March 16th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I need to get out of California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_096cj4ZLMQ

John Eppstein
March 16th, 2011, 02:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_096cj4ZLMQ

You are kidding, aren't you?

G. Hoffman
March 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Hey, Yellowstone is a something like 10-20,000 years overdue for a major eruption that will cover everything in North America, so don't worry too much about it. Here in Minnesota, we can expect to end up under a layer of ash not dissimilar to Pompeii, and you folks in California will probably end up under the ocean sooner or later.

Gabriel

digiengineer
March 16th, 2011, 07:38 AM
That's why I live in Nevada now instead of returning to Southern California... lower taxes and prime beach-front property if I wait long enough. :grin:

John Eppstein
March 16th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but if the chick who made that video was serious she is a major whack job.

dnafe
March 16th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Not surprising actually if you consider how much BS is on the Web.

edit: did you know that the latest conspiracy theory is - the PTB used HAARP to induce the earthquake as a warning to Japan of what can happen if they don't start following their marching orders

:headpalm:

qharley
March 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM
If the example video's are anything to go by, HAARP has been used on South Africa since the early 1800, if the artists that made the paintings are to be believed
:Roll eyes:

radiationroom
March 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM

You sure about that? When the "big one" hits everything east of the San Andreas will fall into the Atlantic.

:icon_eek: :Confused: :lol:

vocalnick
March 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Not surprising actually if you consider how much BS is on the Web.

Wait... what?!?!

There's unreliable information on the internet?!

OHH NOES!!1!111!!!ONE111!!1ONEONE!11!

radiationroom
March 16th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Wait... what?!?!

There's unreliable information on the internet?!

OHH NOES!!1!111!!!ONE111!!1ONEONE!11!

Remember that the last exit on I-10 going west is "Ocean Plunge"!

Bob Olhsson
March 16th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I heard something pretty bad the other night.

The theory about pressure building up until there is a quake has been superseded by one suggesting quakes destabilize the earth's crust leading to more quakes as opposed to a period of inactivity due to pressure relief.

ivmike
March 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I heard something pretty bad the other night.

The theory about pressure building up until there is a quake has been superseded by one suggesting quakes destabilize the earth's crust leading to more quakes as opposed to a period of inactivity due to pressure relief.

Something that I read in the Montreal Gazette this morning: a theory has been put forward that increased tectonic activity is due to the shrinking ice sheets in at the poles; less weight on the crust is allowing the plates to move more freely, apparently.

Toonman
March 16th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Something that I read in the Montreal Gazette this morning: a theory has been put forward that increased tectonic activity is due to the shrinking ice sheets in at the poles; less weight on the crust is allowing the plates to move more freely, apparently.

And thus, Nature will balance things out, as it always does. More mega-quakes will likely mean less people. Less people will make for less pollution, which will make for, at some point, more ice, and thus less quakes, and then there will be more people... and the circle will continue... at least until we learn how to have a smaller environmental footprint.
(You may totally dislike this, but that ain't gonna change it a bit... but of course, it's all speculation on my part, to be honest...)

ivmike
March 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM
And as if on cue, we just had a small shaker here in Montreal today.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/

eagan
March 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM
OK. Looking for big fun?

Have a look at the growing practice of "fracking".

Aside from the most prominent problem of shooting the Earth full of large volumes of toxic liquids and ignoring what this means for water supply (see "flammable tapwater")... Since the day I first heard of this, I've wondered "what are the geological repercussions of this?" with the word "repercussions" probably never more appropriate in usage.

Have a read. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/06/fracking-arkansas-earthquakes_n_831633.html)

Maybe another read. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/15/arkansas-earthquakes-2011-fracking_n_835868.html)

Make of it what you will.

Then look into the New Madrid fault in the middle US region where the general attitudes go something like "earthquakes? oh, we don't have those here, that's a California thing, we're the place where they keep all the tornadoes".

Enjoy.

JLE

Johnny
March 16th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I thought fracking was how you repopulated the Fleet. </BSG geek>

John Eppstein
March 17th, 2011, 12:00 AM
OK. Looking for big fun?

Have a look at the growing practice of "fracking".

Aside from the most prominent problem of shooting the Earth full of large volumes of toxic liquids and ignoring what this means for water supply (see "flammable tapwater")... Since the day I first heard of this, I've wondered "what are the geological repercussions of this?" with the word "repercussions" probably never more appropriate in usage.

Have a read. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/06/fracking-arkansas-earthquakes_n_831633.html)

Maybe another read. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/15/arkansas-earthquakes-2011-fracking_n_835868.html)

Make of it what you will.

Then look into the New Madrid fault in the middle US region where the general attitudes go something like "earthquakes? oh, we don't have those here, that's a California thing, we're the place where they keep all the tornadoes".

Enjoy.

JLE

Looking at the USGS chart there appear to have been more quakes over the last month in Arkansas than anywhere else in the world. Granted, they're quakes that nobody in California would even notice - 2.5 to 3 mostly - but there sure are a lot of them. Could Arkansas be fixing to fall into the sea? Oh, wait.....

G. Hoffman
March 17th, 2011, 03:12 AM
So, lets do a catalog of possible major natural disasters - defined as disasters which could end or drastically change civilization as we know it - around the world. To start with, here in North America we have the "Big One" at the San Andreas Fault, and of course Yellowstone could blow its top. Europe is about to fall into an ice age when Greenland melts and stops the Global Ocean Conveyor. We've seen two major tsunamis in Asia in just the last few years. Then there was the quakes in Hatti and New Zealand.

What have I missed? I'm sure there are others. The Sahara is in the process of eating Africa, right? And the loss of all the worlds glaciers is going to make life in sub-Himalayan Asia pretty rough. Hard to feed 2,000,000,000 people in India and China when the rivers all run dry!

Oh yeah, and there is the asteroid/comet/big rock that is on course to whack the Earth out of orbit, or something like that. I read something that Buzz Aldrin wrote about that a year or two ago, and I think it is suppose to be pretty close about 2020 or so. I think the calculations had it passing somewhere between the Earth and the Moon, and given the margin of error in the equations for orbital mechanics that is, well, fucking scary!!!!!

I'm sure I'm missing a whole bunch. What are your favorite disasters to come? Given that there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about any of them, I've pretty much decided not to worry about them. At least, not too much.

Gabriel

Mesmer
March 17th, 2011, 08:20 AM
maybe your last post was a thread ender, G.

:Confused::weedstore:

qharley
March 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
maybe your last post was a thread ender, G.

The truth hurts

John Eppstein
March 17th, 2011, 08:59 AM
My favorite contender for the next big natural disaster is the one that nobody's thought of that catches everyone by surprise.

clicktrack
March 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hell..maybe the Mayans were onto something.

Between Haiti, Chile, New Zealand, Japan...major quakes in the past year.

These are areas that are used to quakes to some degree, but have been hit with quakes that are, by magnitude, significantly larger than what they have seen over the years.

Add to that Volcanoes in euroland that have spewed harder than they typically do.

We tend to look at them as isolated events.
But in all reality, aren't we being a bit blind?

I'm hoping some scientist somewhere is trying to connect the dots and on the hotphone to the transformers or someone to give us a hand like the movies says always happens.

In any rate, the earth hasn't been particularily happy with us for awhile.

Maybe mother earth has pent up her anger for long enough and has now had enough.

All of a sudden, I'm less interested in what Charlie Sheen is up to today.

Holm
March 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Hell..maybe the Mayans were onto something.

Between Haiti, Chile, New Zealand, Japan...major quakes in the past year.

Dunno. NZ, while definitely was a bad thing, was not a MAJOR quake by any stretch of the imagination. It was almost 10000 times less powerful than the Japan one. Japan has had several aftershocks 10 times bigger than the NZ quake was. It' just... There was already a sensationalist news story, that Finland had an earthquake yesterday. 2,2 magnitude. That's about as much as a train going past your house a quarter mile away. Everything "quake" is apparently major and "news" these days.

Anx
March 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM
All of a sudden, I'm less interested in what Charlie Sheen is up to today.

Just an update for you: He's still winning.

clicktrack
March 17th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Just an update for you: He's still winning.

Ok...

THAT made me laugh.

Well done.

nobby
March 17th, 2011, 10:43 PM
In any rate, the earth hasn't been particularily happy with us for awhile.

Unfortunately, when you look at the alternatives...

DeyBwah
March 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread675320/pg1

Considering I live 1 mile from Redondo Beach, I can FEEL how bad of an omen it is, millions of fish washing up dead... It has happened before, several times before large earthquakes.

It's as easy to dismiss entirely as it is to take seriously.

G cubed
March 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/extreme-supermoon-coming-saturday-could-raise-tides-1327388.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss

Don't want to worry anyone, but Saturday there will be an "Extreme Supermoon" which will raise tide levels.

CaptainHook
March 17th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Dunno. NZ, while definitely was a bad thing, was not a MAJOR quake by any stretch of the imagination.

Some of my friends there still don't have water/power. What qualifies as major, MORE people dead?

The quake in japan is beyond major. Its FUCKED.

Darth_Fader
March 17th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Our offices there are closed, people are working from home when they have power, and a lot of manufacturing is shut down indefinitely, until they have power to run it again.

On top of that, there's a lot of people missing, shortages of drinking water, etc. It is indeed a really, really horrid mess, even without the nuclear mess, which is, I am hoping, going to turn out to be the a lesser problem in the long run. BUT we shall see, since now the cooling pool for the spent rods is burning, which is a serious problem indeed.

But "more quakes"? Historically, there's not a huge amount of correlation, but who knows? (that's what "not a lot of correlation" means, really, nobody knows where the next quake hits)

The worst I've seen so far was a 6+ earthquake right under Mt. Fuji, right at the top of the magma chamber, which is really kinda scary, it's of the "ENOUGH ALREADY" variety. Good news is that there hasn't been a lot more activity there after that.

On the other hand, it's starting to look like the pacific plate is pushing harder on asia than on North America, from these quakes, but that's really not a certain thing at all. The pacific is slowly disappearing, and will be gone, subducted away, about 200 million years, so I doubt that's a long-term rearrangement in tectonic movement.

Holm
March 18th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Some of my friends there still don't have water/power. What qualifies as major, MORE people dead?

The quake in japan is beyond major. Its FUCKED.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends. Mayor earthquake indeed is a term that is actually used. And just that however devastating that was, the Christchurch and Japan quakes should not be classified as similar. One is almost 1 000 times less powerful than another.