PDA

View Full Version : Nashville Area

sqkychair
March 25th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Any of you guys in the Nashville area:

I know a kid who has recently moved into the Nashville area and I would like to help him out if I could.

He graduated from college with a 4 year Business degree (Texas A&M, not an easy school).

Then, he attended Full-Sail for a year.

So, now I would like to help him out, if possible, by doing a little networking here on the forum.

He plans on getting a regular day job and trying to pick up a little audio intern work wherever possible. He is not deluded into thinking that he can just waltz in and start making a living in audio.

So I figure if you guys could help out by offering:

1) Advice.
Where should he start? I thought studios were a good idea, but also there may be opportunities in radio, TV, or live shows.

2) What should be in his resume?
Of course, there is little in the way of actual experience, but I have quizzed him on what he picked up at Full-Sail. It seems they taught him ProTools, mics and placement, even a little bit on a real tape machine. Also they appear to have worked with genuine analog outbord as well as plugs. I think he could do a little ProTools editing without too much trouble.

3) Contacts.
If anybody knows of an actual door he can knock on or call, PM me. I don't think it is a good idea to post somebody's name in this public forum.

4) Who or What to avoid. PM me if you know of somebody to be avoided at all cost.

I can vouch for the kid. He is clean cut, smart and seems to be willing to work. I have known him and his family since he was little. He also plays a pretty good guitar.

I also made sure that he understands that it is WORK. What your employer is looking for is not some whiz-bang mixer, but rather someone who can follow instructions and get it right at least 99% of the time.

I made him promise if he landed something that he has to get on the forum and tell us about his experiences. And take a severe newbie beat down as well.:grin:

Bob Olhsson
March 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I'm here but thousands of local students are seeking internships that they get college credit for which means the company they intern with doesn't need to pay them.

The only thing I can think of would be for him to hang out at the songwriter clubs and try to meet somebody into letting him help out in their home studio. Finding a studio management or other industry mook job might be another approach.

sqkychair
March 26th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks Bob,

So, these studios need to give the current students higher priority, I guess. After all, they are free and those students really need those jobs.

Well, that is not good news for someone looking to break in who is not a student.
Sounds like you really cannot get paid for those jobs and I believe you should get paid for your work. But, the reality is, you need to get a start somehow.

Good idea on the songwriter thing.

cozmicslop
March 26th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Internship=You're getting the best and the brightest for free.

And in the two years they work for free, they get experience and a resume.

If you're a junior in College and don't have an internship locked up?

That line out there is long.

Carlo
March 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM
He graduated from college with a 4 year Business degree (Texas A&M, not an easy school).

:grin:

"...There's a spirit, which ne'er be told...it's the spirit of Aggie-Land."

He's an Aggie fer Christ's sake... and God knows, we need more of 'em in the bid'ness!! Here's to the water splitting, and him seeing the Promised Land!!

:Thumbsup: Giggem' Aggies...!

Bob Olhsson
March 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
If it isn't part of a degree program they risk getting sued and/or prosecuted for letting somebody work for free.

sqkychair
March 28th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Is the situation any different in the surrounding area, slightly further from downtown?

Bob Olhsson
March 29th, 2011, 10:27 PM
The situation is the same anywhere within a reasonable driving distance. MTSU, the biggest school, is 40 miles south of downtown.

sqkychair
April 6th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Just a follow up.

The kid already has a 6 month internship with what appears to be a fairly big time studio.

He got it BEFORE I sent him an email with all this bad news.:lol:

Sounds like he is just basically doing the janitorial thing right now.

But, hey, gotta start somewhere right?

I am going to PM Bob about this specific studio.