PDA

View Full Version : A Bike for Wifey???

cozmicslop
March 26th, 2011, 06:57 AM
The concept is still a little scary for me. In fact, I inherited a motorcycle a few years back and she forced me to give it up.

"You are too reckless and blah, blah, you'll get killed, blah" and all the other shit that makes a motherfucker just say, 'fuck it'.

So I sold the shit.

Now, She wants one. Not a big hog like the neighbor has, just something to commute to work. It's only about 5 miles back and forth to her job, but because of the schedule (2 hrs on, 3 hours off) 3 times a day, she can run back and forth all day, get some sleep, etc.

Right now she's robbing Daddy's whip.

"Now, I don't want to be selfish. But I can't do shit with you got my car all day. Let me help you buy a car...:Naw fuck that, I aint paying no note!! Well, I'll pay it and you...."fuck that"

OK,

So I'm looking for some advice on a bike that will get her 5 miles down the road, Up to at least 55mph (can't be a scooter).

Help?

Coz

Tim Halligan
March 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Talk to an ER Doctor or nurse.

There is a reason they refer to bikes as "donor sleds".

Cheers,
Tim

qharley
March 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Not a hog then...

Something like this? (http://www.superbike.co.uk/imageBank/j/jen_hayabusa.jpg)

CloseToTheEdge
March 26th, 2011, 08:54 AM
My wife's a nurse. She made me sell my Interceptor 23 years ago. I still have the wife.

My advice? Proceed with extreme caution. Many drivers don't see bikers —with poor outcomes for the bikers.

cozmicslop
March 26th, 2011, 09:10 AM
My wife's a nurse. She made me sell my Interceptor 23 years ago. I still have the wife.

My advice? Proceed with extreme caution. Many drivers don't see bikers —with poor outcomes for the bikers.
Exactly my concern... these fucks in South Texas can't drive for shit.

I'd rather have her in a car...with a gat.

Still, before we knuckle up on that shit...

G. Hoffman
March 26th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Well, if this is a great commuter.

G. Hoffman
March 26th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Or if she needs to carry a lot of stuff....

:Coolio: :Coolio: :Coolio:

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
March 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
But in response to your ACTUAL question - if she's going to be riding a motorcycle, make sure she gets the training - and if she isn't going to get the training, don't get her a bike!!!!!

Gabriel

Fulcrum
March 26th, 2011, 03:46 PM
make sure she gets the training - and if she isn't going to get the training, don't get her a bike!!!!!l

That. I don't know whether they mandate training in Texas—I would think they would, given that it is a motor vehicle to be used on publicly-maintained roads, just as they would do with a car—but sometimes they do things a little different down there.

Up here, you don't do the training, you don't get the license or the plate.

Would a moped or a scooter be out of the question?

CloseToTheEdge
March 27th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Or a used inexpensive Japanese pickup truck... She will be safe and protected from the weather, and you can borrow it if you need to haul some gear!

cozmicslop
March 27th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Well, if this is a great commuter.
We have those already. We need a another solution.

Knastratt
March 27th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I got account4me one of those:

http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/images/savage.jpg

She baffled me by driving 35% of the road from Kalmar to home (600 km). Brave gurl. :)

It is a single cylinder 650 low enough that she can safely have both feet in the ground. And I actually enjoy riding it myself at times.

cozmicslop
March 27th, 2011, 10:49 AM
That. I don't know whether they mandate training in Texas—I would think they would, given that it is a motor vehicle to be used on publicly-maintained roads, just as they would do with a car—but sometimes they do things a little different down there.

Up here, you don't do the training, you don't get the license or the plate.

Would a moped or a scooter be out of the question?

They might not have the power. At times she'll have to kick it up because the speed limit varies between 40 and 55mph for about 4/5ths of the way there.

As far as the training, she has a CDL. She'll have to get licensed to drive and own a motorcycle. I don't doubt she can do it.

The driving issue, pun intended, is economic. She's frugal, I admire that. But, very bull-headed. So, I'm Like Ali in a corner trying to dodge her Frazier-like left hooks.

"Why can't I have one?

"Suzette rides hers to work every day."

"It's cheaper than a car."

"You ain't my fuckin' Daddy."

So while a take a 10 count, Ive decided to do some research.

Whatever it is, I'm not gonna put her on a piece of shit. I'm hoping that if the one she wants equals the price of a decent car, I can move her off the motorcycle idea.

Knastratt
March 27th, 2011, 11:03 AM
The trick is by realizing NO-ONE of the fellow drivers will notice you. When you know in your sleep that every single car will neglect you all of the time - you're safe. :Coolio:

dnafe
March 27th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I can't count the number of times I was driven off the road or required to do evasive manoeuvres in my very short two year riding time. That was enough for me to say "fuck it, this ain't worth it"

I do miss riding though

CloseToTheEdge
March 27th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I've owned 7 motorcycles. I've been forced to jump curbs and cut across people's yards to avoid collision. I've had people look me right in the eyes and then turn left in front of me. I've had countless people on side roads appear to see me and then pull right out in front of me. I never had a collision with a car, but have had to take some extreme actions to avoid it.

I rode when was young and had a few crashes, including two while racing in motocross races. I shudder to think how my 56 year old body would react to something I walked away from at the age of 20. I don't think I could walk away from any of that shit now.

I totally get how much fun it is to ride, and I do miss the fun. It was also fun to pick up a stranger and have unprotected sex, but I don't do that anymore, either!

Utmost caution is urged, once again.

M.Brane
March 27th, 2011, 10:14 PM
If she's serious about it have her take the MSF course. If she makes it through that get her a Ninja 250. There's a good reason Kawasaki has sold a bazillion of 'em.

I would not recommend starting out on a mid-sized bike with or without training. Too much can, and likely will go wrong with serious consequences. You're also not going to be saving any real money over a small car with a mid-sized or larger bike.

G. Hoffman
March 28th, 2011, 02:18 AM
The trick is by realizing NO-ONE of the fellow drivers will notice you. When you know in your sleep that every single car will neglect you all of the time - you're safe. :Coolio:

I'd say that a bit differently. Certainly, when I drive I notice motorcycles, and that was true even before I started riding my bicycle (which, being even less visible to drivers, gives me a certain sympathy with motorcyclists!).

The trick is, ANY car could not see you. Most will, you just never know which one won't. That's the part that makes my shoulders tense up every time I hear a car coming up behind me. Most of them are great, and give me plenty of room. But when most of the drivers are being really great, you can get into a sense of complacency if you don't remember that it could very well be the next asshole who whacks you.

Oh, and NEVER trust a school bus driver. They are, as near as I can tell, the worst drivers on the planet. I've had more near misses with those fucktards than every other kind of vehicle put together!!!!!!

Gabriel

cozmicslop
March 28th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I got account4me one of those:

http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/images/savage.jpg

She baffled me by driving 35% of the road from Kalmar to home (600 km). Brave gurl. :)

It is a single cylinder 650 low enough that she can safely have both feet in the ground. And I actually enjoy riding it myself at times.
This looks cool.. What do they go for?

M.Brane
March 28th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I never trust anyone when I'm on the bike. Even other riders.

sqkychair
March 28th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I know you probably don't want to hear this...

I rode dirt bikes all the time as kid and I know there is one hard fast rule about a motorcycle.

Sooner or later... you will put it on the ground.

And when you do...the last place you want to be is on a street.