PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Hate HATE Fucking Comcast!!!

radiationroom
March 29th, 2011, 03:42 PM
WARNING: RANT ALERT!!! Peter is about to flip his lid! Proceed reading at your own risk!

Just wasted almost two hours of my all too scarce and ever fleeting time getting fucking Comcast's fucking "Digital Transport Adapters" fucking activated at my parents house. Mom has new TVs with "cable ready digital tuners" built in yet we still need those fucking Goddamned fucking POS Comcast adapters! Now my mom, who (God bless her) is so technically illiterate that she STILL can't operate a 1980s vintage VCR much less a TV remote now has to fool with THREE FUCKING REMOTES in her bedroom and TWO FUCKING REMOTES in the TV room! And now she will be calling me at fucking two in the fucking morning to ask me which fucking remote to use to set the fucking sleep timer on her TV set!

And she has been asking me what all this fucking Xfinity BS is about....

A professional acquaintance of mine summed up Xfinity the best....

**** ".....Brian Roberts drank his morning coffee and ate his morning bran muffin before driving his gold-plated beamer to his gold plated office. When he got to his office that morning, he sat on his personal gold-plated toilet for his morning BM. And while realizing just how gullible the American public is he glanced in the toilet and thought, 'My deuce looks like a ripe banana! We shall call it Xfinity and people will buy it!' And that is how Comcast's new brand campaign came to be....." ****

Time to get Mom a Dish......

jerryskid
March 29th, 2011, 03:58 PM
"Feel the HATE young Jedi...Use it!!"

CloseToTheEdge
March 29th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Dish Network. Works great, less money than cramcast, one remote control for everything.

radiationroom
March 29th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Dish Network. Works great, less money than cramcast, one remote control for everything.

I think my wife and I are going to get a Dish once our Comcast "triple-pay" (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=comcast+triple+play&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8) (pun intended) runs out. Switch back to Frontier Telephone for our POTS and DSL and buy Dish as part of the package.

Johnny
March 29th, 2011, 11:11 PM
We like U-verse.

clarito
March 29th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Comcast has been, in my not-so-limited experience with them, one of the worst companies to deal with. Period.

They fucking suck.

Fuck you, Comcast.

Damage, Inc.
March 30th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Doesn't Comcast have a remote that you can program to work with the tv, home theater, dvd player, etc? If not, she might want to think about getting a universal one. It might be less trouble for her.

G cubed
March 30th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I'm fortunate enough not to have commie crust at my house but, my folks do. There have been several occasions over the past couple years where I've had to deal with them on my folks behalf,and yup, they are one big suck company. :doubledeuce:

radiationroom
March 30th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Doesn't Comcast have a remote that you can program to work with the tv, home theater, dvd player, etc?

No. Neither the "Digital Transport Adapter" remote or the one that goes with the DVR box will set the TV set sleep timers or work the old style VHS decks that my parents have. The Transport Adapter remotes are especially limited. The most I've been able to get them to do is turn the TV on and off and adjust the volume.

If not, she might want to think about getting a universal one. It might be less trouble for her.

Universal remotes "with all the codes" are expensive, and I fear they may have too many buttons for my parents to navigate. Remember, my momma is technically illiterate and my poppa was disabled by a stroke and can barely press the on-off and channel buttons. Simplicity is what I am searching for here.

It also might be less money for my parents to get FiOS or Dish. Verizon ran fiber-channel on the pole at my parents' house, so it is just a matter of Verizon installing the fiber-to-coax box on the pole and the cable driver hardware in the house. The only question I have is how to get Verizon to leave the copper in the house cuz good-ole-fashioned POTS beats VOIP just like a Smith & Wesson beats 4 aces. But we'll make that decision in the fall when I go put the new electric service at the 'rents house. I'll be burying the service cable cuz wires going from the pole to the house are UGLY....

radiationroom
March 30th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Comcast has been, in my not-so-limited experience with them, one of the worst companies to deal with. Period.

IME Verizon is worse. They take the arts of graft, extortion, and piss-poor customer service to a whole new level. But they have better technology and pricing than Comcast.

Thank GOD that my wife and I have Frontier Telephone instead of Verizon where we live. Frontier has leaps & bounds better customer service compared to Comcast and Verizon. Still doesn't mean that I'm happy with it, but it is by far better......

Bob Olhsson
March 30th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Now you know why the con$umer electronic$ indu$try, micro$oft and comca$t railroaded "digital HD televi$ion" through the FCC ten years ago over the NAB's objections...

And I'm no fan of the NAB.

Smileyblue
March 31st, 2011, 01:26 AM
The only thing that sucks for us is that lately Dish got into it with M$G because they wanted too much money to give them access to the stations. Dish would not pass this ridiculous cost onto customers and told M$G where they could shove it.... unfortunately M$G shows most of the Devils and Rangers hockey games because they are our local teams. So we have to just settle for seeing the highlights on NHL on the Fly which Dish gave to us for free along with a bunch of other movie channels for the inconvenience, now that my friends, is customer service. We have been with Dish for 13 years and have never had a problem. If you have issues with your system you just ring em up and they are out to you the next day or sometimes later the same day to fix the problem and they always go above and beyond for you, the customer service people are friendly and the packages are a reasonable price....and best of all.......only 1 remote.

Comcast on the other hand, who handle our internet......slow to fix a problem, quick to cut you off when they don't get their money on time......

radiationroom
March 31st, 2011, 01:12 PM
Now you know why the con$umer electronic$ indu$try, micro$oft and comca$t railroaded "digital HD televi$ion" through the FCC ten years ago over the NAB's objections...

Aaaahhhhh...... I get it. Comcast's "Digital Transport Adapters" are a fucking monopolistic ploy to inconvenience the customer so much that they throw their hands up in frustration causing them to give up their VCRs and DVDs and get their entertainment, data, and phone exclusively through Comcast's way overpriced Xfinity "triple-pay" nonsense! You would think at those prices Comcast could at least get the picture and sound in sync but NO!!!

Guess Brian Roberts knows just how gullible the American public is. So much so not only will they buy his ripe banana they will eat it right out of his gold-plated toilet in his gold-plated office and savor every bite! Ew....

I can't wait 'til my Comcast 2-year agreement is over and can move back to Frontier! And I'm moving my parents over to Dish and Verizon within the next month!

Darth_Fader
April 1st, 2011, 08:45 PM
First, please, it's "Comcrap". Please get that right.

We get decent cable modem service from them, middling TV service, and we don't use them for phone.

But, what they can't handle is when you have something wrong, they just can't handle it.

Fortunately, when the truck arrives, the guy in it can call a different number and tell them that their network is hosed.

We also have the "digital adapters". They wanted to put more channels in less bandwidth, so their TV modems are just totally nonstandard. What's more, then there's the "requires bidirectional amplifiers" issue when you're not downtown (and we're not downtown), and as we all know, closed feedback loops with positive feedback never ever oscillate. Right?

Finally, a phone call to Comcrap a few years ago.

me - Hello, your name server is down
them - Can you connect to the internet
me - obviously, I know your nameserver is down
them - but can you get anywhere
me - Well, I can if i know the numeric address
them - What's that.
me - (splat) Um, if I know the actual numeric net address, I can get a connection, otherwise i can't.
them - Oh, then, your computer caught a virus, you need to wipe it and start over
me - No, it's not a virus, your name server is down
them - if you can't get to a site, your computer has a virus, take it somewhere to get the system rebuilt
me - um, no, your nameserver is down, please fix it.
them - If you can't get out to the net, your computer has a virus, sir, and I can't do anything about it from here
me - Please connect me to a supervisor
them - Oh, I can't do that, sir, your computer has a virus, and they can't fix that
me - supervisor
them -(click)

About two hours later, somebody finally kicked their name server.

iCombs
April 1st, 2011, 09:19 PM

And I'm no fan of the NAB.

Let us also not lose sight of the fact that the rejiggering of the broadcast frequencies for TV means that the FCC has a whole new set of bands to sell licenses for...I think they're as complicit as everybody else in that.

eagan
April 1st, 2011, 09:50 PM
Finally, a phone call to Comcrap a few years ago.
(horror deleted)

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this sort of story could find its way into some law class in discussion of what defines "justifiable homicide".

JLE

Darth_Fader
April 1st, 2011, 11:46 PM
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this sort of story could find its way into some law class in discussion of what defines "justifiable homicide".

JLE

It was actually worse than that, because at one point I pointed out that none of my boxes could get name service, that includes a linux box, a W98 box, and a couple of XP boxes. The person on the other end of the phone insisted they had probably all caught the same virus.

Darth_Fader
April 1st, 2011, 11:47 PM
Let us also not lose sight of the fact that the rejiggering of the broadcast frequencies for TV means that the FCC has a whole new set of bands to sell licenses for...I think they're as complicit as everybody else in that.

All of broadcast started to come apart when the FCC was converted from a "public service" agency to a "pay your own way" agency.

And the present mess is just the start.

Bob Olhsson
April 3rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
Let us also not lose sight of the fact that the rejiggering of the broadcast frequencies for TV means that the FCC has a whole new set of bands to sell licenses for...In truth, they had Apple, Microsoft and the rest of silly-con valley chomping at the bit to buy licenses.

radiationroom
April 3rd, 2011, 09:51 PM
UPDATE: Today my momma and I discussed her Comcast service and she told me that they are now jacking her $112.00 a month for "extended basic cable" and her internet connection, which throttled to less than a measly 128K during heavy usage peroids (sometimes it's so slow Youtube won't stream without dropouts - not like she uses the internet anyway considering I have to retrieve her email for her). To add fuel to the fire, Comcast has removed some of my pop's favorite channels from the basic line-up and told my parents that to get National Geographic, BBC America, and a few others my parents would like to watch Comcast want's an additional $20.00 a month.

We are so sick and tired of trying to negotiate a better deal from them that Mom decided she is through with Comcast.

Verizon is offering to add DSL to her POTS line for an additional $19.95 a month with a 2-year contract. Which is nice that Verizon is still offering DSL over copper considering that they are pushing FiOS like hell on her block. I'm going to scour the Verizon offer for any "gotcha" clauses, but if it all pans out by the beginning of May my parents house will be a Comcast free zone. My house will follow the end of July with our switch back to Frontier Telephone for POTS and DSL.

Just need to decide yet, "Direct or Dish?"

Cheers! - Peter

Mixerman
April 6th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Verizon is offering to add DSL to her POTS line for an additional $19.95 a month with a 2-year contract. Which is nice that Verizon is still offering DSL over copper considering that they are pushing FiOS like hell on her block. I'm going to scour the Verizon offer for any "gotcha" clauses, but if it all pans out by the beginning of May my parents house will be a Comcast free zone. My house will follow the end of July with our switch back to Frontier Telephone for POTS and DSL.

Just need to decide yet, "Direct or Dish?"

Cheers! - Peter

If Comcast is a 2 on a scale of one to ten, Verizon is a 3 where Customer Service is concerned. I can't even go into all of the shit they put me through when they fucked up my account.

Unfortunately, my only other choice here is Comcast.

The whole two service providers per city thing is bullshit.

Mixerman

radiationroom
April 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM
If Comcast is a 2 on a scale of one to ten, Verizon is a 3 where Customer Service is concerned. I can't even go into all of the shit they put me through when they fucked up my account.

Unfortunately, my only other choice here is Comcast.

Verizon and Comcast: the classic duopoly. :Thumbdown: :Thumbdown:

Verizon's predecessor company at my parent's house, General Telephone (GTE) of PA were the kings of graft and extortion. When I had my fax line installed in 1991 they jacked me $120.00 because the tech attached the block to the building ground, a task that took maybe a minute and a half tops.

The whole two service providers per city thing is bullshit.

It is.

I'm running for my town's borough counsel and one of my proposals is municipal wi-fi via the borough electric co-op with equipment being installed/maintained by Frontier. Trust me, Comcast will NOT have any piece of that action!