PDA

View Full Version : Singer/Songwriters

puffin
March 29th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hey guys,

I'm feeling a little uninspired by the music I have been listening to lately. I listen to a lot of singer/songwriters and what you might call alt country.

Anyone listening to any great new artists they'd like to share? I'm especially interested in artists who are either funding their own careers or self-producing etc.

Cheers,

Unfcknblvbl
March 29th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Anyone listening to any great new artists they'd like to share?

Not "new" but point your mouse to Radio CAPE on the toolbar above. Tons of inspiration to be had.

Carlo
March 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Not "new" but point your mouse to Radio CAPE on the toolbar above. Tons of inspiration to be had.

:Thumbsup::Thumbsup:...and don't forget our own Sounding Board!

Ein Mangfaldig Kar
March 29th, 2011, 07:47 PM
and cape radio!

cozmicslop
March 29th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I'd echo the previous posts.

When listening for my own enjoyment, I do study lyrics, rhyme and rhythm, production, structure, themes, etc. But, personally, I avoid listening to other artists when I'm writing.

It's like using someone else's mouth to ask for a drink of water. If you need inspiration from someone else, you probably don't have much to say.

I really believe a pen, pad, guitar/piano and maybe a drum machine should be enough to capture the shit that's already running around in your head. Get a small digital recorder. Keep it with you at all times and sing/play all your ideas into it. Songs have a funny way of writing themselves if you let them.

puffin
March 30th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I wasn't really looking at it in terms of my own writing, but your last paragraph is good advice.

Mostly, I was thinking about the difficulties of finding good, music that does-as you mentioned-have something to say. Everything I hear these days is about the same shit.

Springsteen could write a song about his father going to work every day. Not a glamorous subject, but a great song (Factory)....

I guess I'm looking for great lyricists for my own personal enjoyment, not to drink their water, so to speak.

Cheers,

zakco
March 30th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Two singer/songwriters that I've been listening to alot of lately are Slaid Cleaves and Ray Lamontagne. They're not necessarily "new", but they are both active and very relevant to the genre IMO. Then of course there's Gurf Morlix, Steve Earle and Mary Gauthier who are also cranking out some pretty great records...

Z

puffin
March 30th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Two singer/songwriters that I've been listening to alot of lately are Slaid Cleaves and Ray Lamontagne. They're not necessarily "new", but they are both active and very relevant to the genre IMO. Then of course there's Gurf Morlix, Steve Earle and Mary Gauthier who are also cranking out some pretty great records...

Z

Having a listen to Mary Gauthier now. Like the subject matter. Really great stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Cheers,

zakco
March 30th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Having a listen to Mary Gauthier now. Like the subject matter. Really great stuff.

Check out her album "Mercy Now". It was produced by Gurf Morlix and has some seriously cool sounds happening, not to mention some fantastic writing...

Bob Olhsson
March 30th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Having a listen to Mary Gauthier now. Like the subject matter. Really great stuff.She's even better live!

jstuart
March 30th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Two singer/songwriters that I've been listening to alot of lately are Slaid Cleaves and Ray Lamontagne.
Z

oddly enough they are both "mainers",tho both are currently living out of state, and well thought of up here in the vortex of the cultural universe (Maine).
j

zakco
March 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM
She's even better live!

True! She made a ton of fans at our local festival last summer. I even withstood the humiliation of standing in line like Justin Beaver fan to get here to sign a CD...

Z

Johnny
March 30th, 2011, 09:36 PM
The Civil Wars.

johnnywellas
March 31st, 2011, 12:37 AM
Chris Whitley

Smileyblue
March 31st, 2011, 01:42 AM
Brian Fitzpatrick and the band of brothers

kinda Folk/Americana/Irish

Mesmer
March 31st, 2011, 08:05 AM
Sufjan Stevens

cozmicslop
March 31st, 2011, 09:01 AM
Sugarland.

Fulcrum
March 31st, 2011, 05:40 PM
I was going to suggest Jonatha Brooke, then I was going to suggest Joni Mitchell.. and then I realized I have no idea what you've been listening to that isn't inspiring you at the moment.

Care to share a few names so that we're not repeating ourselves?

cozmicslop
April 1st, 2011, 09:07 AM
Steve Earle

John Hiatt

cozmicslop
April 1st, 2011, 09:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5begHSoQ1s

Here's some inspiration for that ass.

puffin
April 1st, 2011, 12:20 PM
I was going to suggest Jonatha Brooke, then I was going to suggest Joni Mitchell.. and then I realized I have no idea what you've been listening to that isn't inspiring you at the moment.

Good idea. Mostly, I have been listening to

Joni Mitchell
Dylan
Ryan Adams
Bruce Springsteen
Tom McRae
Tegan and Sara
Lyle Lovett
Nick Cave
Neko Case
Scott Walker
Ron Sexsmith
Lucinda Williams.......

The list goes on. Obviously, these are not all country or folk artists. I find that a lot of music I listen to for the first time doesn't really grab me. Someone recommended John Prine a while back and I just couldn't get into him. I'll give Hiatt a go!

Thanks again for the new suggestions.

Cheers,

puffin
April 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM

I'm enjoying Jonatha Brooke. Vocally, she's sounds like Fiona Apple at times.

Sugarland

The Incredible Machine sounds incredible but isn't really my thing.

Smileyblue
Re: Singer/Songwriters
Brian Fitzpatrick and the band of brothers

kinda Folk/Americana/Irish

I had a quick listen and I'll be going back to this when I have a little more time. Sounds good.