PDA

View Full Version : George Michael, WTF?

MacGregor
April 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM
In my not so fucking opinion George Michael is one of the best pop-singers ever.
You can argue about his looks, drug habits, haircut or sexual orientation, but dude surely can sing. Tons of talent.

But, WTF is THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riLArIZN6xo) :headpalm:

Okay, George wants to be up-to-date, but really everyone, included yours truly, could have sung that with the same outcome.

I'm really disappointed about that trend...

Mac

J.G.
April 1st, 2011, 04:08 PM
I just puked and shat at the same time.

That shit ainnnn't right.

Boo-issimo,

J.

J.G.
April 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
Please let this be an April Fool's gag of the highest order.

PLLLLLLLLEASE.

J.

puffin
April 1st, 2011, 04:17 PM
I just listened to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK15uVD3jrU&feature=related) interview on the Chris Evans radio show.

George states (RE the song in question):

"...almost all of this is one take that I did at home that's the kind of musicality I show when I'm completely and utterly joyful, y'know?"

I have no idea whether this is for real. Pop music and parody are pretty much inseparable at this point.

Cheers,

Dr. Bob
April 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM
Pop music and parody are pretty much inseparable at this point.

Kinda' like manure and stink...

Maybe this is what happens when artists loose the concept of ensemble work and collaboration....

nawwww... it's still smells like bullshit....

Tim Halligan
April 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
Please let this be an April Fool's gag of the highest order.

Well...you may be onto something there...

The official video for George Michael's newest single, "True Faith," in support of Comic Relief 2011.

It's a joke Joyce...

:D

Cheers,
Tim

Slipperman
April 1st, 2011, 05:04 PM
What a sad, eerie, and melancholy song.

Even the vocoder-bots couldn't completely block that.

Wish somebody had put together a better arrangement, especially at the 2/3rds point to the end of the song.

SM.

PS. To read that he describes it as "how he sings when he is totally joyful" is a telling indicator(to my ears) of how tough it can be for some guys to deal with being a middle aged male homosexual.

'Cause THAT, my friends, ain't no "regular-like" flavor of joyous delivery.

Anyhoo.

I LOVE this guys instrument.

Have since Wham!

otek
April 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM
middle aged male homosexual.

Slippy. You're scaring me.

otek

paulie
April 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Too much weed.

Slipperman
April 1st, 2011, 05:15 PM
Slippy. You're scaring me.

otek

KNEW that was coming.

HOHOHO.

Ahh me.

Setting up the jokes.

Handing out Boston Creme pies.

SM.

tannoy
April 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM

Way tmi in both cases...:lol:

Regarding that tune...I made it till 0:36, I suppose that is a new record. I find the overuse of ottotune and whatever else results in weird vocals just sad and still search for a radiostation that doesn't play those kinda songs every 8 minutes - to no success, trying for about 4 months now. :Confused::Sad:

Marco

Keks
April 1st, 2011, 06:13 PM
"I have a question! Big fucking question...!"

Genius!

:lol::lol:

All the best,
the keks

nobby
April 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM

Clean it up before you go go :vuvu:

It works for me as an April Phoolz joke.

But, look. If yer gonna butcher a song, butcher someone else's song, and do it for charity.

I don't keep up with such things, but I can imagine New Order looking under the sofa cushions for spare change to keep the lights on.

"Oh, thank you, thank you George for enhancing (butchering even further) our song and having it go viral!"

Cheebs
April 1st, 2011, 08:21 PM
Sounds like Imogen Heap's "hide and seek" effect... Only this time it has regular ol' tuning in there as well.

Don't know why he felt he needed both.

plughead
April 2nd, 2011, 01:54 AM
OMFG!

For the life of me, I can't fathom the depths he's trolling to come up with that half-baked, lame-ass shit.

Sad...

But probably an April Fools gag, no doubt...

gronk
April 2nd, 2011, 02:56 AM
It's a joke Joyce...

:D

Noice bit of GK! :)

CloseToTheEdge
April 2nd, 2011, 03:15 AM
He's autotuned? Seriously, I would have never noticed that. It must be very subtle.

dnafe
April 2nd, 2011, 04:24 AM
Maybe it's the cold meds I'm on but I like it.

My fear is that unlike the song "Friday", this will go viral AND get insane radio airplay

yep must be the meds.

:headpalm:

digiengineer
April 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
He better do a duet with T-Pain on his next album, or I'll be fucking disappointed.

clicktrack
April 2nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
Joke or not, autotune just destroyed a great song.

radiationroom
April 2nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
I don't keep up with such things, but I can imagine New Order looking under the sofa cushions for spare change to keep the lights on.

Yah. Spot on Nobby.

I think I'll go jump in the river for a swim now. Water temp is 38F.

Knastratt
April 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Shoot me too. I kinda liked it.

CloseToTheEdge
April 2nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Joke or not, autotune just destroyed a great song.

I'm sorry, but autotune does not kill songs, people kill songs.

With autotune.

Wide-O
April 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
All hoopla aside, Different Corner was a fucking great song. As was Careless Whisper.

I remember doing that one live in 1985 (?) with just me, my guitar, my voice, and a sax...

That song still sends a shiver down my spine. So fuck that.

As for Autotune... don't get me started. :) Had a really great conversation about it with one of the worlds greatest producers alive, a couple of days ago.

nobby
April 2nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
All hoopla aside, Different Corner was a fucking great song. As was Careless Whisper.

I remember doing that one live in 1985 (?) with just me, my guitar, my voice, and a sax...

...and an under cover police officer...

Oh, come on! You know I can't make it through a Saturday without making a smartass comment, so I may as well get it over with.

That song still sends a shiver down my spine. So fuck that.

Some people say you can NEVER predict a hit, but I swear that if I'd heard the chorus for "Careless Whisper" before it had left the studio I would have put money on it, and I don't gamble.

Even many of us who pretend not to like GM listen to that song when no one's around. But we won't admit it.

Careless Whisper = guilty pleasure ;)

I feel kind of bad for the teenage girls who developed crushes on GM only to find he didn't bat for their team.

I sort of know the feeling. Three words:

Portia de Rossi

;)

Wide-O
April 2nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
...and an under cover police officer...

Oh, come on! You know I can't make it through a Saturday without making a smartass comment, so I may as well get it over with.

Yeah, great, pick me, why dontya! :finger::lol:

Careless Whisper = guilty pleasure ;)

I really don't have a problem coming out of the closet like this. That song was just awesome.

Portia de Rossi

You mean she bats for the wrong team as well? :lol:

Anyway, I was going back in history when it comes to voices, and how they sound. Heh, I'm pretty sure Antares didn't exist back then, but this is pretty strange (and powerful) sounding...

-OTPOzd16-4

;)

Edit: I'm not wrong, it sounds like autotune, but a million times better...

nobby
April 2nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
I really don't have a problem coming out of the closet like this.

I just had to quote that for posterity.

You mean she bats for the wrong team as well? :lol:

Yes. I may be a lesbian trapped inside a man's body, but mine is not a strap-on bat.

Wide-O
April 3rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
I just had to quote that for posterity.

So noted. :very happy:

_-GNemQ0JTc

Maybe not the best version, but still.

nobby
April 3rd, 2011, 01:35 AM
Gotta say... a lot of the time the complaints about outta toon focus on making bad/non-singers sing in tune because the fashion, I mean, music business seems to often find that expedient.

A particularly egregious form of outta toon abuse is the polar opposite: ruining what would otherwise quite possibly be a perfect vocal.

This hit me like a rat with butterfly wings about the time I discovered itunes for pee sea.

I was in a supermarket and I heard a song with a monster hook and a great sounding voice.

So I got home and downloaded the song from itunes and sat back to have a good listen without the supermarket PA system having to compete with all the background noise.

I was horrified. One of the most fetching aspects of this vocal style IMO is the grace notes, and to hear them mechanized in such an inhuman way just makes me want to bitch slap the butcher who was responsible. The steady state keyboarding of the sustained legato was pretty sucky as well.

I could probably overlook the rest of the sterile overcooked production if they hadn't fucked with the lead vocal.

If I could sing as well as LW I would be angry and depressed that that shite had been released. The parties responsible would be getting an earful, and not of music.

RV-Z1YwaOiw

TheNetStudio
April 3rd, 2011, 01:59 AM
I dunno... Seemed pitchy to me.

nobby
April 3rd, 2011, 02:04 AM
They left the glissandos alone ant tooned everything else.

Or are you deadpanning?

TheNetStudio
April 3rd, 2011, 04:37 AM
Yeah, I like absurd humor... but sometimes... A lot of times, I'm the only one that thinks it's funny... Oh well...

On a more serious note - Am I the only one that finds this type of processing really hard to listen to? Something about it really grates on me. The best word I can think of is "disconnected". I don't know why - but it feels emotionally fractured somehow.

nobby
April 3rd, 2011, 05:46 AM
I find it hard to listen to and that's the problem.

In the above example, it isn't the $0.99 I wasted that bothers me but rather the fact that I can't find a version of the song without soul sucking outtatoon abuse robotically dehumanizing it.

imagin
April 3rd, 2011, 07:43 AM
What George realy needs is computer automation on his car to get him home after a night out, not for his pitch.

What a shame!

Mesmer
April 3rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
I think this is a good example of what happens to some people when they hear "Hide and Seek" for the first time.

omgzimgoingtobesocoolnowthatisoundlikehi- no, don't do that.

Wide-O
April 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
I think this is a good example of what happens to some people when they hear "Hide and Seek" for the first time.

I'm trying to imagine "Seek & Destroy" through autotune...

ivmike
April 8th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Anyway, I was going back in history when it comes to voices, and how they sound. Heh, I'm pretty sure Antares didn't exist back then, but this is pretty strange (and powerful) sounding...

-OTPOzd16-4

;)

Edit: I'm not wrong, it sounds like autotune, but a million times better...

Could that be Vocoder?

Here's the same voice a few years earlier...

59hkcS5wr9k

zakco
April 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m63/jonnewyork/Cd_loudness_trend-something.gif

Nobby, your gifnature needs to be updated with 2010...the 2000 version looks overly dynamic to me...

nobby
April 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I can't find one, but it would look like this:

yrixraZPvrI&NR=1

That's so bad it made me LOL.

Smileyblue
April 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM
What a sad, eerie, and melancholy song.

Wish somebody had put together a better arrangement, especially at the 2/3rds point to the end of the song.

SM.

Someone did. The original version of this song was one of my favourite songs and videos. I think it was possibly one of the first music videos ever to feature sign language. Streaks ahead of their time, New Order even featured dancers in the video that could be easily seen as an early version of Circ de Soleil.

http://youtu.be/SrNNLz3qUog

George's version would be great without that stupid, so done, autotune effect. WHY George, WHY.....you have an amazing voice

Wide-O
April 11th, 2011, 08:08 AM
George's version would be great without that stupid, so done, autotune effect. WHY George, WHY.....you have an amazing voice

Artists who don't need it seem to think they just "have to". As you may know, Nile Rodgers is running a blog about his cancer (he's now officially cancer-free BTW), and posted up his new song "I Wanna Dance" - a collaboration with Robert "Kool" Bell. These guys have been around for a while.

I hesitated to comment, but being stupid, I did. I liked the song, but... I almost didn't dare to see the reply (if any), especially since I'm a life long fan, and I'm still starstruck...

This is what Nile answered:

Hey T., I love it. You def have me cracking up. Let's just say on the "Antares thingy," I'm using Talkbox on the song I'm writing now, hopefully that'll help me redeem myself.

For the record: that vocal came from the Kool camp, and you're right it is 2011, we can't overlook that.

It's tough for me to type I'm laughing so hard. And the guitar can never be LOUD enough as far as I'm concerned!!!! Much love--Nile

It later turned out he had been fretting over exactly the things I had mentioned.

So it seems artists really seem to think they need to use it.

Gesturizer
April 12th, 2011, 01:47 AM
GaoLU6zKaws

this cat raises the bar for ballsy tribute to sexy george

no otto tho

jstuart
April 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
GaoLU6zKaws

this cat raises the bar for ballsy tribute to sexy george

no otto tho

I was crying , I was laughing so hard.................

oh geez, I'm still laughing........

Stilll

really, stilll....

ok, I'm done

j

jstuart
April 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Nope, sorry, ......

Stilll..........