PDA

View Full Version : Continued Existence Of Edible Arrangements Disproves Central Tenets Of Capitalism

Mo Facta
April 1st, 2011, 07:12 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/continued-existence-of-edible-arrangements-disprov,19856/

Cheers :lol:

nobby
April 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
I think there are simply things that zen marketers know that we will never grasp.

For example, I'm stunned at the number of brick and mortar Vitamin Shoppe stores there are in my area.

I take vitamin supplements and purchase them for my mother, but usually at one or another the several zillion pharmacies and supermarkets that carry a wide assortment of vitamins.

I would have thought you'd have better luck opening up an analog tape store, but I guess that shows how little I know about the vitamin market.

Tim Armstrong
April 1st, 2011, 08:30 PM
There used to be (like, for maybe six months) a store on the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, Colorado that sold socks. Just socks.

I'm still often surprised at the irrational optimism that can move someone to realize their dream of opening a store (much less a store in an extremely high rent location) like that. And I wonder just how much money it lost!

Tim

PRobb
April 1st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Don't know if it's still there, but there was a store in NYC called Just Bulbs.

Darth_Fader
April 1st, 2011, 09:36 PM
There used to be (like, for maybe six months) a store on the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, Colorado that sold socks. Just socks.

One of the best things about the Pearl St. Mall used to be that it had all sorts of local stuff. But Ii gather the Boulderado is gone, and the chains have moved from Crossroads up to the Pearl St. Mall.

But I haven't been there in 10 years.

While we're at it, I spotted another truth hiding as humor in the Onion...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/time-between-thing-being-amusing-extremely-irritat,19791/?utm_source=recentnews

Knastratt
April 2nd, 2011, 12:29 AM

I'm still often surprised at the irrational optimism that can move someone to realize their dream of opening a store (much less a store in an extremely high rent location) like that. And I wonder just how much money it lost!

Tim

And I'm still baffled about when in the career one decides to become a proctologist. Yes - I know about the scholar system and quotas - but still. :)

otek
April 2nd, 2011, 12:37 AM
...has defied all modern economic models, expanding continuously for the past decade despite its complete lack of any discernible consumer appeal.

Sounds like Rode microphones to me. :lol:

otek

Smileyblue
April 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Mo thanks so much for that article. I was sitting at the front reception desk crying with laughter. Maybe it is because I studied economics or because I have often wondered the same thing...and yet have been tempted to look at the website.

Reminds me of that T-Mobile cell phone commercial "Makes sense if you don't think about it" hehehe

Smileyblue
April 5th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Oh and for those of you that don't have an Edible Arrangements store in your country...here is what we are talking about...

http://www.ediblearrangements.com/

I suppose you could eat the fruit at the wake. Really a Sympathy section?

Smileyblue
April 5th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Darth after reading that article you posted, is it any wonder that our music has become disposable since it started being sold on the internet?