PDA

View Full Version : For those of you into classic computing....

G. Hoffman
April 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
The NEW COMMODORE 64 (http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx).

I just had a VIC-20, and was always jealous of my friends with the Commodore 64's, but I think I'll stick with my PC's these days. Same functionality, less cost.

Gabriel

nobby
April 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I hope it works better than the link.

I had an Amiga, back in the day.

Remarkable for its time, but I can't imagine there's something it can do that a pc or mac can't, and I'm not nostalgic.

Spock
April 6th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Amiga. C64, classic????

Damn kids these days.

Saculus
April 6th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Vic-20,C64, when it died C128. 2 1541's

G. Hoffman
April 7th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I hope it works better than the link.

I had an Amiga, back in the day.

Remarkable for its time, but I can't imagine there's something it can do that a pc or mac can't, and I'm not nostalgic.

It didn't work the first time I tried it, but it did the second and it works for me now. I don't know what that means, though, not being a web designer.

Amiga. C64, classic????

Damn kids these days.

Well, there is a part of me that kind of likes the idea of making a functional clone of either Colossus or ENIAC using all discrete transistors, but I'm afraid I can't think of any actual use for it. And, lets be honest, that is an awful lot of transistors to wire up!!!! (Yes, I know they were tube units - I REALLY don't have that much time or energy - that's why I said a FUNCTIONAL clone).

Gabriel

PRobb
April 7th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Well, there is a part of me that kind of likes the idea of making a functional clone of either Colossus or ENIAC using all discrete transistors, but I'm afraid I can't think of any actual use for it. And, lets be honest, that is an awful lot of transistors to wire up!!!! (Yes, I know they were tube units - I REALLY don't have that much time or energy - that's why I said a FUNCTIONAL clone).

Gabriel

But the calculations would be so much warmer with tubes.
And I mean warmer. You'd need a monster A/C system.

G. Hoffman
April 7th, 2011, 01:04 AM
But the calculations would be so much warmer with tubes.
And I mean warmer. You'd need a monster A/C system.

Well, yes and no. I don't think my homes 200A service would be enough, but you could run the heaters in series strings (as opposed to running them parallel like we do in guitar amps and such) and save yourself a fair bit of current, perhaps even getting your heater directly from the wall instead of off a transformer (not safe for something you plan to move, but that never stopped Valco when they made Airline and Silvertone amps!).

The power supply issues would be bad enough with transistors, though, so I think I probably will never bother!

Gabriel

PRobb
April 7th, 2011, 01:20 AM
One of the first big corporate computer installations, the American Airlines Saber Reservation System, was near where I grew up. My school took a field trip to see it. You had to stand with your arms out and get vacuumed before you went in. It was an enormous room with spinning tape drives and punch card readers. It cost millions.

The little imac I'm typing this on blows it away.:very happy:

G. Hoffman
April 7th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Eee gads!!!!

I just looked it up, and if each tube drew 0.9A of current at 6.3V (which is to say, if they were all 12AX7's, which they probably weren't), it was drawing about 10,000 watts just to power the heaters!!!!!!! Even in series, assume 120V or so, that's more than a typical house of the period could draw without blowing the main fuse!!!!

Gabriel

G. Hoffman
April 7th, 2011, 01:30 AM
One of the first big corporate computer installations, the American Airlines Saber Reservation System, was near where I grew up. My school took a field trip to see it. You had to stand with your arms out and get vacuumed before you went in. It was an enormous room with spinning tape drives and punch card readers. It cost millions.

The little imac I'm typing this on blows it away.:very happy:

That's technology for you. But then, my cell phone blows away the computers that got Apollo to the moon. Hell, my scientific calculator at home blows away the Apollo computers.

Gabriel

nobby
April 8th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Gabe, I would channel that energy into guitar amps.

I don't know what yours sound like, but the cabinets and trim are gorgeous.

If you can tap into a market for custom hand made guitar amps...

Ka-ching! $ :Coolio:

zakco
April 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
My first computer was a Vic20 with the cassette drive...the 64 with its floppy drive was downright modern by comparison!

PRobb
April 8th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Someone brought in a computer magazine from he mid '80s. A 250 MEG hard drive was $1,000.
The first time I heard about a gigabyte drive, I couldn't imagine what the hell you could possibly do a gigabyte:icon_eek: :Roll eyes:
Boy, did that change in a hurry.

strangedays
April 8th, 2011, 10:59 PM
TO be honest...

not impressed.

Its a PC with a commadore case. thats all. I cannot see the point at all.

G. Hoffman
April 10th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Gabe, I would channel that energy into guitar amps.

I don't know what yours sound like, but the cabinets and trim are gorgeous.

If you can tap into a market for custom hand made guitar amps...

Ka-ching! $ :Coolio:

You are suggesting perhaps the one way to "make a living" that is worse than building guitars!!!

TO be honest...

not impressed.

Its a PC with a commadore case. thats all. I cannot see the point at all.

100% agree, though they do say there will be a Commadore OS clone thing that will eventually come out, but yeah, totally pointless.

Gabriel

Ein Mangfaldig Kar
April 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Except it's a pc you(I) might actualylike to have.

G. Hoffman
April 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Except it's a pc you(I) might actualylike to have.

My guess is it would make me laugh for a day or two, and after that I'd just be swearing at it like any other PC.

Gabriel

Ein Mangfaldig Kar
April 11th, 2011, 10:30 AM
how true!

qharley
April 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hell, my scientific calculator at home blows away the Apollo computers.

Gabriel

Pfff....

My Washing mashine blows away those computers!

Got them to the moon though... or did they?

binaural turbine
April 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM
our first computer was a Tandy TRS-80 (before they became Texas Instruments). It had like 4K of ram and used a cassette tape to load and store data. my youngest brother used it for a school project. We actually still had it until about 10 years ago when I finally disposed of it. I hate throwing out old shit like that but wtf am I ever going to do with it? There's only so many museums that will need one to show the smug little bastards (get off my lawn) what horror and punishment we had to go through, uphill both ways, to program in BASIC.