PDA

View Full Version : Why does iTunes speed up...

Wide-O
April 20th, 2011, 02:20 PM
... the last 4 to 5 seconds of a (legally) downloaded song.

I admit I often thought it was just me. And maybe it's just my Mac Mini.

Am I completely crazy, or do you have the same thing? (the two are not mutually exclusive).

MKZ
April 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I never heard that, but this add window for iTunes 10 all of a sudden appeared on my iTunes and I can't seem to get rid of it. It's annoying and it takes up about 60% of (what used to be) the song list's space.

Knastratt
April 20th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Am I completely crazy, or do you have the same thing?

I don't have the same thing but I do wonder how it treats illegally downloaded songs?

dwoz
April 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
is there some kind of "crossfade" function that you forgot to turn off, that maybe does something incredibly stupid like attempt to match tempos?

or are you talking about the speed of the data download over the internets pipes?

Goes211
April 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM
is there some kind of "crossfade" function that you forgot to turn off, that maybe does something incredibly stupid like attempt to match tempos?

First thing I thought of too. I just checked, couldn't find anything like that in the prefs. Never heard anything like it either.
:Confused:

MKZ
April 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
Is it the same song every time? Or does it happen to a lot of songs?

Sounds very weird.

Wide-O
April 21st, 2011, 10:08 AM
All good questions, and the answer to most is "I'm not sure". :headpalm:

I only hear it when I really have the volume cranked up, and obviously only with songs that fade out. I'll note down the songs that I hear it on.

It's clear to me now that other people don't have this problem. I don't have any illegal songs, so I can't answer that question.

The only thing that is "special" about my system is that after my last Mini died, I didn't bother with a restore to the new one, but just loaded/synced the songs from my iPod.

I will go over the prefs again - I do remember a cross fade setting many moons ago, but as I installed iTunes fresh on this Mac, I don't think I ever changed any prefs at all.

Oh well, it's not a "big" problem, it's just very "trippy". :lol:

dwoz
April 21st, 2011, 03:10 PM
what made you suspect the provenance of the download in this?

Bob Olhsson
April 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
I never forget that Apple is the company who ran their computers at NTSC 29.97, sample rate converted all video up to 30 and then sample rate converted it a second time back to 29.97 when they found out 30 was the wrong speed. The place is also a notorious intern mill.

I would never trust any audio or video code coming out of Apple without meticulous testing.

Wide-O
April 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
what made you suspect the provenance of the download in this?

Hey dwoz, I'm not sure what you are asking. Obviously, all the songs have been at one point downloaded from their store.

Right now I'm thinking that maybe I am crazy after all. :headpalm:

(but no, it does happen, I will provide some examples)

I never forget that Apple is the company who ran their computers at NTSC 29.97, sample rate converted all video up to 30 and then sample rate converted it a second time back to 29.97 when they found out 30 was the wrong speed. The place is also a notorious intern mill.

I would never trust any audio or video code coming out of Apple without meticulous testing.

That's interesting Bob, as that is pretty close to about the "difference" that I'm (supposedly) hearing.

Mind you, I only use iTunes/the Mac for personal fun, nothing professional. Yes, I know the format is already compromised (obviously), but for me the Mini made an ideal "Media Centre" about 5 years ago. I have (sat) TV, DVD, iTunes, internet (and even a camera in my pond... ask Aardy :grin:) all on one little box. Connected to a decent amp and (Focal) full range 5.1 speakers via digital, so when I want to listen to music young and old, it's an ideal combination in that aspect. Especially since I can "command" it with only one programmable remote that switches on/off all the relevant components.

The first time I noticed this, I just thought my brain was failing. The booze, you know... :beer: The second time, I forgot the next day. But I keep hearing it, over and over again. It was never important enough to start a thread about it, if you know what I mean.

But now, I want to get to the bottom of this. :Coolio:

Wide-O
May 19th, 2011, 10:17 PM
OK, just listening to Allison Moyet. Had other things on my mind.

So I didn't even remember this thread.

But.

Then I heard it again.

Now I'm sure I really didn't make this up.

I will however take back the five seconds, it's only the last two seconds.

No conspiracy theory here. It's just.. odd.

Mixerman
May 20th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Why does [my] iTunes speed up?

Check to make sure you don't have the Drummer's Version of iTunes.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Wide-O
May 20th, 2011, 02:17 AM

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Heheheh. In that case my iTunes would drool equally from both sides (assuming the Mac is level)

I'm not making this up. I will provide proof. (actually, "Man In A Suitcase" just did it as well)

:tinfoil: ?

Mick Stuart
May 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I bet it's the crossfade trying to do its thing.

Some info on the "feature": http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101208062603124

Toonman
May 20th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Enjoy,

Mixerman

:lol:

Davo
November 9th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Bump.

I have been handling a similar problem on a writer's system with little luck.

He's using an M-Box (Avid) and tracks at 48/24. I'm not familiar with the new M-Box software, but the setup screen shows a sample rate of 48000.

The sessions behave normally.

The problem is occurring with bounces. They play back fast no matter what the bounce settings are. I've tried every imaginable combination of settings on the bounce. Tracks come back playing sped up and I've tried playing them back out of iTunes, Quicktime, Finder, Safari and everything plays back slow.

Also, anything other than Pro-Tools plays back slow when using the M-Box as the output device. This seems to me to be a communication error between the Mac and the MBox.

Info: Mac Mini running 10.7.2 & 8GB of Ram
Running PTLE 8.0.4
MBox Package 1.0.7
Firmware 1.0.8