PDA

View Full Version : It's Allergy Season In TMI Land with all the wonderful blooming flowers and pollenating plants....

radiationroom
April 27th, 2011, 09:24 PM
.....aaaahhhh..... ....aaahhhhh.... .....aaahhhhh..... CHOO!!!

Damn pollen.... Evil! WHERE'S MY BENADRYL?!?

Ugh..... ***SOUND EFFECT - BLOWING NOSE***

CloseToTheEdge
April 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM
My health insurance decided that they weren't making enough money yet and this year stopped covering the only medication that helps me for this time of year.

The "free market" capitalism works it's magic once again.

Sniffle.

TubaSolo
April 27th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Enjoy... :grin:

ic5h4fBBMGk&feature

Damage, Inc.
April 28th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Yep, it's starting for me here in sunny Iowa too. I take either Zyrtec or the nonprescription equivalent, that seems to do the trick.

TubaSolo
April 28th, 2011, 07:03 AM
My whole life I've had pollen allergy, in June, like clockwork, I took my half-Zyrtec every morning, sometimes another half during the day, that month, and I was okay.

Now for the last 5-6 years it has suddenly been getting worse... started in May, then now April thru mid-July, one Zyrtec a day.

What's up with that? Aging? Global warming?

:Confused:

binaural turbine
April 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM
What, you no like plant bukkake? :icon_eek::lol:

binaural turbine
April 28th, 2011, 02:02 PM
ok, that was cruel.

I used to wreck my liver with an obscene amount of Coadvil. I had plant allergies from the time the snow melted to the time it started again. Then cold and flu season would kick in for the rest of the year. I'd take Coadvil at least 2 times a day, in addition to the 3, 6, 9 other ibuprofin tablets I took for my arthritis. I had to take Coadvil everyday at work, because the ventilation system just kept recycling all the plant spunk it could suck out of the pristine outdoor air (FUCKING SARCASM ALERT)

April of '03, I went to a new chiropractor after hurting my back in yet another white cement snow event. Their philosophy was vastly different from the old chiro, and I improved rather than just maintained. My arthritis stopped hurting as much. What I didn't notice until a couple months later, was that I could breath again. Without antihistamines. I smelled the pine needles on the ground that spring for the first time in over 30 years, since before I became an adolescent.

8 years later, I still go once a week. I haven't taken a antihistamine since then. I've only taken analgesics maybe a dozen times. Am I cured? No, you're never 'cured'. I still sneeze, but only when I literally get clogged with a palpable amount of pollen. My eyes may water and itch, until I get to a zone of lesser concentration. I have one mortal enemy in the plant world, I don't know who it is but man, it kills me.

But, and I stress, BUT, I am not congested. My nasal passages stay free and clear, ready to flush out any intruding pollen with a sudden gush of clear runny fluid, not clam jammed with green epoxy. If I start on a sneezing jag, I blow my nose once, and it stops. If my eyes burst into flames, I wash my face and I am fine. And I can breathe. And far far far more importantly, I do not have any of that crappy side effects of antihistamines, the brain vacuity.

I save that for the marijuana. I love those side effects.:lol:

TubaSolo
April 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM
So you mean your new chiro fixed your allergy along with your back?! :Confused::Surprised:

meLoCo_go
April 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I share the pain with all of you.
I started hyposensitization this year with sublingual drops it seems to help, as I have virtually no rhinitis so far, but I still have itching eyes and conjuntivitis.

Darth_Fader
April 29th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Waaaaachooooooooo!

Spring is here, spring is here
Life is skittles and life is beer
(with apologies to Tom Lehrer)

Yeah. Spring is here. Lilacs are here. Sneezing is here.

Bah, humbug.

Zyrtec here I come.

J.G.
April 30th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I'm thankfully not a victim of those sexy plants out there.

Our dog is though, sneezing with sustain and even vibrato--sometimes for minutes on end. Now his skin is paying the price of the plants.

He's a snorty trooper though!

I'd love to know how exactly that chiropractic cure worked...

: J

binaural turbine
April 30th, 2011, 01:56 PM
So you mean your new chiro fixed your allergy along with your back?! :Confused::Surprised:

Yes. Once the 45 degree angle that my atlas bone (very top bone of spine that supports skull, like the globe on Atlas' shoulders) had been tilted to was corrected, the migraines I used to get 3-4 times a week, including every single saturday morning, went away. I've had probably less than a dozen in the last 8 years. I saw with my own eyes the changes, my doctor put my 6 month checkup xray up beside the initial xray and asked me to tell them what was different. I could see the donut hole of the atlas bone in the first xray, in the second one, it was level (like it should be) and not visible.

When your neural signals don't get delayed or blocked by compression caused by subluxation of your spine, your body simply works better. Like a car getting an alignment wastes less fuel, handles better and rides smoother. It may not seem like a lot, but at the biological level, small changes can be significant.

I'm still worried about my liver, though. I used to take 1200-2400 mg a day of ibuprofin, tylenol or aspirin (not all at the same time:icon_eek:) a day, when you included my antihistamine meds on top of what I used to take for my arthritis pain. I have one bottle of tylenol on the shelf now, it passed its expiration date about a year and a half ago. I should buy a new bottle before I have to take some again. I had one bottle that expired without ever being opened.

Don't get me wrong, I still have allergies. I've got one species of plant out there that is my kryptonite, although I don't know what it is. It is like getting maced. But once I dry my eyes and blow my nose, drink a little water, I am fine. I don't get that clogged up, head full of cement feeling anymore. My body does what it is supposed to do, run that pollen right out the door like a bouncer at a night club. I can breathe, and that is not an overrated thing. :lol:

binaural turbine
April 30th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I just want to add, that the chiro alone is not a cure all. Eating better, exercising, quality sleep. You know, all those 'boring' things the health gurus yammer on about. I've got the exercise and sleep thing down pretty good, still working on the eating part. hard to do when you live with somebody who's old school and thinks "if they sell it, it ain't bad for you".

getting rid of junk food is more key than you might think. I've always been a good sleeper, one of the lucky ones. Sleep is when your body repairs itself. So I got that going for me.

Wide-O
April 30th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Our dog is though, sneezing with sustain and even vibrato--sometimes for minutes on end. Now his skin is paying the price of the plants.

He's a snorty trooper though!

Aaw. Poor T. But yeah, he's a trooper alright!

Is this because of the medication?

I'd love to know how exactly that chiropractic cure worked...

For Tuba, or for T.? :Wink:

I have the opposite story of TS. I used to suffer *badly* in June. Really, it was horrible. The last few years (actually, since we have those smelly dogs, but that could be entirely unrelated) it is almost completely gone. I still have half a pack of Claretine from last year.

Oh, and of course, June was when we had exams. But back then, the medication made you dozy. (don't remember the name) So it was a balance of choosing between lots of snot in my study books, or falling asleep and failing.

Allergies are weird.

TheNetStudio
April 30th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Spring here in Tinseltown always brings sneezing, itchy gunky eyes and a sore throat.

But nothing like the Fall...

When I lived on the east coast it was much worse - In the Fall my eyes would swell shut. At least THAT doesn't happen anymore.

Everything I have tried - prescription or otc - makes me sick, drowsy, or upsets my stomach. The only thing I can tolerate is a few Advil cold and sinus and a cold towel on my eyes.

Thanks for co-commiserating with me :Wink:

Anyone wanna talk about acid reflux? :lol:

radiationroom
April 30th, 2011, 06:07 PM
When I lived on the east coast it was much worse - In the Fall my eyes would swell shut. At least THAT doesn't happen anymore.

That's ragweed. And yes it's a killer for those of us with allergies. Thankfully for you ragweed isn't common west of the continental divide.

There is a rumor that someone in the People's Republic of Califlower's highway department tried to get the state to approve planting ragweed as decorative ground cover along I-5. I wonder if the drug companies were behind that!?! Evil!

Yeah. What do you want to know about it? It's kind of like vomiting except it's not vomit and doesn't come the whole way up. :icon_eek: :Confused: :icon_eek:

TheNetStudio
April 30th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah. What do you want to know about it? It's kind of like vomiting except it's not vomit and doesn't come the whole way up. :icon_eek: :Confused: :icon_eek:

Unfortunately I am too familiar with it. Every year the list of stuff I can eat gets smaller, and the amount of time I have to chew it gets longer...

Sigh...

Wide-O
April 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM

I may not know much about ORTF overhead mikes positioning, but I'm an expert in this area.

The problem with that is that the medication is often worse than the symptoms. (if taken for a long time)

I found out the hard way.

radiationroom
April 30th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I may not know much about ORTF overhead mikes positioning, but I'm an expert in this area.

The problem with that is that the medication is often worse than the symptoms. (if taken for a long time)

I found out the hard way.

My doc told me that taking Prilosec for more than 21 days straight increases one's chances of getting pneumonia by several factors.

TubaSolo
May 1st, 2011, 05:50 AM
Oh, and of course, June was when we had exams. But back then, the medication made you dozy. (don't remember the name)

Musta been Polaramine or Polaronil. Might as well have used them as sleeping pills, and there was not much else available back then, until the late 80s I think... so yeah, June, the exams, forgot about that, I didn't snore yet, so at least dozin off was discrete, haha & add to that the discovery & subsequent abuse of various recreational drugs, I wonder how I did good in high school... :Roll eyes: oh, yeah, I remember now: I cheated. :headpalm: Ah, memories.

Johnny
May 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Neti pot, daily, works wonders.

Also local raw honey and/or bee pollen. Sort of a vaccine.

eagan
May 1st, 2011, 10:35 PM
All Hail Claritin.

Sometime in late May into June, it's zombie time. The Big Ugly.

Allergies. Joy. Impossible to describe to anybody who doesn't deal with it, while if you do... well... you guys know.

Hasn't hit yet. You guys just HAD to start talking about it.

Weird thing for me was, I didn't really have any big problems with it until, when I was in sixth grade, one day in late May, BAM!

An annual festival of misery from then on.

Then, oddly enough, some years back (well into adulthood) I started having the problems with the fall ragweed (which hadn't been a big deal, just the May/June stuff).

Kind of weird that in recent years, how bad it has been for me in either of those two periods of the year has varied WIDELY from year to year. Some years, for some reason, not so bad, others, the same usual stretch of at least a few weeks of Death by Pollen. And it might shift from year to year which of those two sections of the calendar is excessively bad or surprisingly mild.

Dunno. Go figure.

The times when it's killing me, it always just astounds me to no end how I can be turned into a drooling zombie useless pulp by a bunch of microscopic particles flying around.

JLE