CloseToTheEdge
May 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM
For your instant gratification:

http://www.instantsongmastering.com

discuss...

http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-popcorn.gif

MacGregor
May 7th, 2011, 11:06 PM
How is your price so much lower than every other site?
We have developed the technology to master your song instantly. This allows us to avoid the high cost and time of mastering a song the traditional way.

The first mastering facility where you can SEE all the difference :headpalm:

I wonder how many dumbheads will use it...

Mac

Damage, Inc.
May 8th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I reject out-of-hand anything in the music business that uses the word "instant."

PRobb
May 8th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I reject out-of-hand anything in the music business that uses the word "instant."

Instant karma's gonna get you.
Gonna knock you right on the head.

otek
May 8th, 2011, 04:44 AM

Well.....

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/IMAGES/Eventide_instant_flanger_main.jpg

otek

binaural turbine
May 8th, 2011, 05:40 PM

well, if you can't have the real thing, at least settle for canned :grin:

qharley
May 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Like instant coffee, it emulates the real thing without ever really getting there... and never will.

Master this
:vuvu:

DPower
May 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Third time's a charm? (having some problems with posting it seems)

Seriously?

When does this end?

When do we have some good news in this industry again?

How do we compete with this bullshit?

Where's Eppstien?

Get off my lawn!

ivmike
May 8th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I know someone locally that spent a couple of hours watching a "mastering" session (which included ramming poorly mix material through ripped-off plug-ins) at a local big-name studio. According to the guy that watched the "mastering", he too is now capable of "mastering".

:headpalm:

PRobb
May 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I know someone locally that spent a couple of hours watching a "mastering" session (which included ramming poorly mix material through ripped-off plug-ins) at a local big-name studio. According to the guy that watched the "mastering", he too is now capable of "mastering".

:headpalm:

I'm sure he is capable of "mastering".
He's just not capable of mastering.
The sarcasm quotes are everything.

Damage, Inc.
May 9th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Well.....
otek

OK dick, let me rephrase myself. I reject anything NOT MADE BY EVENTIDE that uses the word instant.:doubledeuce::Wink:

radiationroom
May 9th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I wonder how many dumbheads will use it...

Some will. It's crap like this that ran the mid-level studios out of business.

dwoz
May 9th, 2011, 01:24 AM
actually...I'll bet for the calibre of artists/producers that would even imagine using such a service, the service will be a distinct improvement on their work.

Fulcrum
May 9th, 2011, 01:37 AM
For the rest of us, just add water...

.. like say a fire hose pointed at the console and shooting about 500 PSI.

weedywet
May 9th, 2011, 02:39 AM
actually...I'll bet for the calibre of artists/producers that would even imagine using such a service, the service will be a distinct improvement on their work.

I doubt it

it equates, as per the internets bullshit, mastering with loudness

that's not at all what good mastering is about.

moaus
May 9th, 2011, 02:57 AM
i firmly believe in mastering you get what you pay for

someone should shoot these snake oil salesmen...although part of me thinks guys offering services like this are like audio Darwinism or something

NathanRocks88
May 9th, 2011, 04:01 AM
so much for mastering that offers an "objective opinion" of the work.

I wonder what preset they're using :headpalm:

Toonman
May 9th, 2011, 09:16 PM
They take mp3's too... they charge $10 per song... this is the audio version of Nicolas Cage!

zakco
May 9th, 2011, 09:22 PM
i firmly believe in mastering you get what you pay for

To a point, I agree, (in the under 1k per record range especially), though IME, once you hit a certain price threshold the cost becomes less an indication of quality and more about reputation/discography etc. There are some really talented MEs out there working for what I consider to be very reasonable rates.

Z

dwoz
May 10th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I doubt it

it equates, as per the internets bullshit, mastering with loudness

that's not at all what good mastering is about.

oh, absolutely. I agree while I disagree. The context of the service being an "improvement" in the work is in the perspective of the person who is submitting the work to the "mastering" job.

And the reason I think so, is going back to an idea that was bandied about at one of the first secret getaway illuminati womb gatherings, where we were going to put out a plugin called the "sounds better" plugin, all it would do is boost level by about a big fraction of a db or so. just enough to be audible but not enough to be obviously a level difference. It would indeed "sound better" because of the psycho nature of hearing.

clearly, it wouldn't actually BE better. But that's a whole 'nuther kettle 'o fish.

DigitMus
May 10th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Great idea - but add a slight 'smile curve' E.Q. to it and you'll make a million (give or take a few zeros).

Scott

radiationroom
May 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM
They take mp3's too... they charge $10 per song... this is the audio version of Nicolas Cage!

You would be surprised how many music people would accept MP3 format for CD replication. One of the people I was remixing for in 2002 was one example.

NathanRocks88
May 10th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Is anyone else afraid of what the replacement format to the Mp3 will be? itunes m4a isn't bad, but it's still no substitute for Cd audio.

hell, my dad has 40 year old 8 track cassettes that sound better than some mp3's I've been subjected to.

zakco
May 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Is anyone else afraid of what the replacement format to the Mp3 will be? itunes m4a isn't bad, but it's still no substitute for Cd audio.

I can't see it getting worse. Bandwidth is getting cheaper as storage mediums get bigger. In theory, this should improve things...but who knows.

hell, my dad has 40 year old 8 track cassettes that sound better than some mp3's I've been subjected to.

That shouldn't be the case if the file was encoded properly @ 256 or better. The real problem is with poor encoding and/or double encoding. I know more than one person that has burned a CD from their low bitrate mp3s and then ripped that to another device as mp3s yet again. Ouch...don't wan't to do that too many times!!

Personally, I'm more concerned with what people will accept as playback mediums. Pretty hard to complain about the mp3 encoding when you're listening on your phone...:headpalm:

Seen this?

wKiIroiCvZ0

johnnywellas
May 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
the replacement format to the Mp3 will be
FLAC?

NathanRocks88
May 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM
"F///ing Telephone, GET REAL :Mad:"

:Thumbsup:

NathanRocks88
May 10th, 2011, 10:01 PM
speaking of ripping mp3 from mp3 to another mp3 so on and so forth.

does this vid sound f'ed up to anyone else?

http://youtu.be/ZPc1N7kf_AQ

Cosmic Pig
May 10th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Some will. It's crap like this that ran the mid-level studios out of business.

Naw I think it's the lack of skills in the mid level studios. Or maybe it's the studio letting the interns put the studio name on any old crap they ship out.

Whatever the reason, I've heard some pretty awful stuff from mid and top studios around town. Conversely, I've heard great stuff from basements/bedrooms with shit gear. Not often mind you.

Cos.