PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Lloyd knibb

samc
May 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Drummer extraordinaire, founding member of the Skatalites, creator of the Ska, Rocksteady and Reggae grooves and my good friend and mentor died in Jamaica yesterday.

I will miss him...

Knastratt
May 13th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Irie ights and say hello to Bob, mon!

/Pedro

PRobb
May 13th, 2011, 07:18 PM
The Skatalites are one of most influential, least recognized bands in pop music history.
I am ashamed to say the name didn't ring a bell, although his work has given me many hours of pleasure over the years.
R.I.P.

Waltz Mastering
May 14th, 2011, 04:27 PM
The Skatalites are one of most influential, least recognized bands in pop music history.

A true original. Rest In Peace Mr Knibb.

samc
May 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I am ashamed to say the name didn't ring a bell, although his work has given me many hours of pleasure over the years.
R.I.P.

They were the backing band for almost every Jamaican artist of the era including Bob and the Wailers, Toots and Desmond Deckker. They probably played on 99% of all the classic tracks produced in Jamaica from the late 50's (before they were the Skatalites) to the beginning of the 70's.

The group was originally formed by Lloyd and Tommy McCook (saxophonist extraordinaire), the original founding members were:

Tommy McCook - tenor saxophone, flute
Roland Alphonso - tenor saxophone
Lester Sterling - alto saxophone
Don Drummond - trombone
Johnny "Dizzy" Moore - trumpet
Lloyd Brevett - upright bass
Lloyd Knibbs - drums
Jerome "Jah Jerry" Haynes - guitar
Jackie Mittoo - organ and piano

Though not official members, these musicians worked with the Skatalites extensively during the 60's in the recording studio, or in the case of the vocalists, at live shows. Doreen Shaeffer later joined the group full-time when they reunited.
Jackie Opel - vocals
Tony Gregory - vocals
Doreen Shaeffer - vocals
Lord Tanamo - vocals
Dennis "Ska" Campbell - tenor saxophone
Oswald "Baba" Brooks - trumpet
Frank Anderson - trumpet
Ernest Ranglin - lead guitar
Lyn Taitt - rhythm guitar

I knew all these old guys personally and studied music with some of them.

If I find some time (I'm on tour) I'll post up some recent live recordings featuring Knibb on the drums so you can see what an 80 YO guy can do. He was beyond amazing. Oh, did you know that he also taught Sly Dunbar how to play the drums. Over the last few years he told me many times that he was disappointed not to have an apprentice learning with him.

DPower
May 14th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Sad week for music...

RIP Lloyd.

radiationroom
May 16th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Sad day indeed.

I often times close my DJ sets with a Skatalites CD. Great music to clear your ears out at 2AM.