PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Echo, who "invented" it really?

ManRoom Studio
May 13th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Does anyone know the actual origins of the reverse echo technique (heard on Zep 3, etc.) Jimmy Page claims responsibility (dating back to 1967) as does Andy Johns (though his use was later than Page's first claim. I'm pretty sure Bill Szymczyk used it as well. Can anyone here verify that it was in fact Page who was the discoverer of the effect?

Thanks,

The ManRoom

gonzo-x
May 13th, 2011, 06:10 PM
i'm sure it was anybody with a sound on sound reel to reel that put the tape on the wrong way.

PRobb
May 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know the actual origins of the reverse echo technique (heard on Zep 3, etc.) Jimmy Page claims responsibility (dating back to 1967) as does Andy Johns (though his use was later than Page's first claim. I'm pretty sure Bill Szymczyk used it as well. Can anyone here verify that it was in fact Page who was the discoverer of the effect?

Thanks,

The ManRoom

Actually, it was a guy named Egap Ymmij.

ManRoom Studio
May 13th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Actually, it was a guy named Egap Ymmij.

:lol:

hcum sa thguoht evah dluohs I

mooRnaM ehT

MacGregor
May 13th, 2011, 08:18 PM
The Beatles and Pink Floyd would also be possible candidates, but whenever I write something like this Bob will chime in in a second to correct me that they already did something like this at Motown in the early sixties and found it boring after a couple of years.

Or so....

Mac

Bob Olhsson
May 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Mickey Most asked me to do it for the Jeff Beck train-wreck we recorded around 1970. I always understood his "Sunshine Superman" production on Donovan was the first.

madtheory
May 13th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Surely it's Schaefer/ Henry/ Varése, i.e. one of those early musique concréte guys? Loads of backwards stuff on their tape pieces. Late forties onwards. Some of them probably did it with discs even earlier. Must have!

weedywet
May 13th, 2011, 10:40 PM
playing sounds backwards is actually somewhat different from figuring out how to make REVERB or echo occur before the not-backward signal.

that certainly wasn't Varese

vocalnick
May 14th, 2011, 02:21 AM
I "invented" it in the college 8-track studio in around 1993.

I was only moderately disillusioned to realise that I was a few decades late to the party.

Reminds me of that time I "invented" overdubbing with two cassette recorders and a radio shack mixer...

DPower
May 14th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Reminds me of that time I "invented" overdubbing with two cassette recorders and a radio shack mixer...

You too eh?

Ahh, to be young and stupid again...

If only as little kids growing up in the middle of (k)nowhere, we could have had access to some huge repository of information that would dispel our silly illusions, and teach us the history of recording.

But then again, look how that turned out.

Back on the subject though...

It was probably some unnamed assistant engineer who in put the reel with the printed effects on backwards. :Wink:

madtheory
May 19th, 2011, 12:27 AM
playing sounds backwards is actually somewhat different from figuring out how to make REVERB or echo occur before the not-backward signal.

that certainly wasn't Varese
Ya, and I'm sure there's an example of reverse reverb/ echo by one of those tape people in my collection somewhere... maybe it's BBC...

Ein Mangfaldig Kar
May 21st, 2011, 11:37 PM

what do you mean "mixer"?!?
You play the old recording out in the room perform with it, record it to tape 2 and there's your overdub!

What?

No?!

nobby
May 24th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Mickey Most asked me to do it for the Jeff Beck train-wreck we recorded around 1970. I always understood his "Sunshine Superman" production on Donovan was the first.

The only thing that sounds like it could be backwards on Sunshine Superman AFAICT is the guitar fade in which would be a lot faster and easier to do with the guitar's volume knob (or a fader). I wasn't there, just sayin'.

Probably why Led Zep gets the credit is because there aren't any examples of OBVIOUS backwards echo in popular music. None that I'm aware of, anywho.

First time I heard it i think was @ 5:44 on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3-XqLFKQzA