PDA

View Full Version : Link to direct song streaming?

TubaSolo
May 14th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I cannot find this anywhere right now, yet somehow I'm sure it exists:

A site like Sendspace or Yousendit, except when the person you sent the link to your uploaded song hits it, the track starts playing (streaming) right away, without having to be downloaded first.

Am I just making this up? Could swear I saw this before... outside of Myspace & all of course (i.e the song would be available only to whoever has the link).

:Confused:

DPower
May 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I cannot find this anywhere right now, yet somehow I'm sure it exists:

A site like Sendspace or Yousendit, except when the person you sent the link to your uploaded song hits it, the track starts playing (streaming) right away, without having to be downloaded first.

Am I just making this up? Could swear I saw this before... outside of Myspace & all of course (i.e the song would be available only to whoever has the link).

:Confused:

Why not use Soundcloud?

TubaSolo
May 14th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks D. I have an account on SC but it seems the songs you put there are either private (only specific users can play them) or public, and if public they're automatically under creative commons license, which I don't agree with.

If there's no other solution I guess I'll create another soundcloud account for this project only, but right now I'd rather go another route, if available.

Keks
May 14th, 2011, 10:01 AM
If there's no other solution I guess I'll create another soundcloud account for this project only, but right now I'd rather go another route, if available.

Personal webspace?
If you need it only temporarily I can give you some ftp space.

All the best,
the keks

DPower
May 14th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks D. I have an account on SC but it seems the songs you put there are either private (only specific users can play them) or public, and if public they're automatically under creative commons license, which I don't agree with.

I think you're mistaken. My band has several songs on soundcloud in public view that are available to download, and yet maintain the "all rights reserved". Unless Soundcloud has changed something in the last year, the rights reserved should have been available as an option even if you choose to allow them for download, though I do remember that I had to change it from the default creative commons. I'll check again now though since that would be an issue for me as well.

kindafishy
May 14th, 2011, 11:05 AM
box.net is a great site for this. A link to it will allow a user to start playing a tune in an embedded player.

Example of a song I posted:

http://www.box.net/shared/14acfv0p16

TubaSolo
May 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM
box.net is a great site for this. A link to it will allow a user to start playing a tune in an embedded player.

Example of a song I posted:

http://www.box.net/shared/14acfv0p16

YES, voilą!! Exactly what I was looking for... :grin:

Thanks man!! :Coolio:

D: you're right, I was mistaken, you can choose "all rights reserved". But isn't any Soundcloud user likely to stumble upon, and be able to hear any song anybody made "public", just by browsing the site? I just want people who get the link to be able to hear the song.

Thanks for your help guys!

DPower
May 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM
D: you're right, I was mistaken, you can choose "all rights reserved". But isn't any Soundcloud user likely to stumble upon, and be able to hear any song anybody made "public", just by browsing the site? I just want people who get the link to be able to hear the song.

Thanks for your help guys!

Well in that case, set the song to private, and only the people you share the link with will be able to hear/download it.

TubaSolo
May 14th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I think it involves authorizing certain email addresses to access the track... too cumbersome for this specific use, especially if the authorized people have to enter anything before they're able to listen.

I think I found the right solution with Box.net. Thanks again! :)