PDA

View Full Version : The Royal Mics

otek
May 18th, 2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=11673

these three priceless microphones dating back to the 1920s and 1930s was tailored and tuned especially for its specific user: King George V, King George VI, and Queen Elizabeth.

Great. Now if I could only get Georgie or Liz to sing my songs....

otek

sqkychair
May 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Although the story is fascinating and the mics are absolutely beautiful, and I suspect they have a very unique and lovely sound, I must give the idea of this plugin a great big:

:headpalm:

dwoz
May 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Nowhere do they make any claims about what kind of mics or what they sound like.

they look suspiciously like carbon mics to me! Pretty ones.

RJ Palmer
May 18th, 2011, 03:34 PM
'these three priceless microphones dating back to the 1920s and 1930s was tailored and tuned especially for its specific user: King George V, King George VI, and Queen Elizabeth.'

Wow, so one of these mics actually dates back to the sixteenth century...

Sorry, but someone had to be the smartypants.

Tim Halligan
May 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM
they look suspiciously like carbon mics to me! Pretty ones.

Yes.

I had the same thought.

Cheers,
Tim

CloseToTheEdge
May 18th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I imagine the meeting between the marketing department (who must have been behind this idea) and the development people must have been interesting.

"You want us to do what?"

Bob Olhsson
May 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I think one is a carbon and the others are early moving coils. Might be just the thing for a telephone effect or that of a cheap PA system on a voice. Getting that stuff to sound believable using just recording gear is really hard.

Toonman
May 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I really don't know what Waves sells anymore... they went from doing audio unit plugins, to mix preset-y thingies, to... uummm... again, what is this?

NathanRocks88
May 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I really don't know what Waves sells anymore... they went from doing audio unit plugins, to mix preset-y thingies, to... uummm... again, what is this?

that's part of the genius of waves. the kramer, maserati, puig, and cla signature series plugs are built to be idiot proof mixing tools.

Bob Olhsson
May 18th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Presets certainly do create a benchmark for people to try and beat!

They pretty clearly are not trying to create plugs that everybody will want to buy. Different people have different needs and desires.

JNZ-AE
May 18th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I think this proves all of Waves' WUP money is going on some seriously high class crack.

otek
May 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Gee, and here I was thinking it was all kind of charming and lovely. :)

I was amused though because of course, getting those singers whom the mics were "tailored and tuned" for, would be difficult to say the least.

otek

T.Bay
May 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
The King George VI version.

Maybe has kind of D...D...D...Delay on it.

paulie
May 19th, 2011, 01:58 PM
does it translate "American" into the queen's English?

that would be really spiffy

:vuvu::vuvu::vuvu:

Fulcrum
May 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Great, so Waves is selling to raging Anglophiles now.

Can we declare them having jumped the shark yet?

T.Bay, that was just so wrong I spat my (Welsh) tea onto my keyboard. :lol:

iCombs
May 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM
This WASN'T an April Fool's joke?

kindafishy
May 19th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Wait... I have looked this product page up and down and I can't tell what this plugin is even supposed to be. What is it?

...and what the fuck is wrong with Waves anymore?

DPower
May 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
This WASN'T an April Fool's joke?

I thought so too, but you can add it to the shopping cart...

:icon_eek:

PRobb
May 19th, 2011, 08:48 PM
does it translate "American" into the queen's English?

that would be really spiffy

:vuvu::vuvu::vuvu:

So you think it will add colour?

JNZ-AE
May 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Everyone realizes this was for the a movie or something right? Not the real royal family...?

Just making sure :Confused:

otek
May 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Everyone realizes this was for the a movie or something right? Not the real royal family...?

Actually, the mics apparently do exist, and were made for the real royal family.

They were also used in both orchestral and speech recordings for the film (http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt1504320/).

otek

JNZ-AE
May 19th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Ah I see. Well, it makes sense that mics that regal were for the real thing and then used for the film, not the other way round.

It's probably just impulse responses and a bit of EQ. Either way I don't what practical application you'd have for them that warrant purchasing them and using them more than as a one off effect? :Confused:

otek
May 20th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Either way I don't what practical application you'd have for them that warrant purchasing them and using them more than as a one off effect? :Confused:

Well, there are plenty of plugins that are pretty much one-trick ponies. In this case, it's kind of like Bob said: getting that "old"-sounding, band-passed character with just regular EQ can be very hard. It might be like, for example, Antares Tube or Izotope Vinyl - simple plugins with a bit of character that can be used on any number of things.

otek

zakco
May 20th, 2011, 01:58 AM
getting that "old"-sounding, band-passed character with just regular EQ can be very hard.

"Speakerphone" does this really well too.

Mo Facta
May 20th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Great, so Waves is selling to raging Anglophiles now.

Weedy?

Cheers :grin:

JNZ-AE
May 21st, 2011, 05:50 AM
Well, there are plenty of plugins that are pretty much one-trick ponies. In this case, it's kind of like Bob said: getting that "old"-sounding, band-passed character with just regular EQ can be very hard. It might be like, for example, Antares Tube or Izotope Vinyl - simple plugins with a bit of character that can be used on any number of things.

otek
The difference is, Vinyl is free :grin:

TubaSolo
May 21st, 2011, 08:59 AM
The only intention behind this that would make any sense at all to me would be: make a vocal plug with a distinctive and recognizable enough signature that it would allow Waves to easily identify any record made with it, then cross-reference the studio with their client database. :Twisted:

otek
May 21st, 2011, 12:25 PM
The difference is, Vinyl is free :grin:

Sure. And that's really nice. But if I find a plugin that I really like and have a use for, I don't mind paying for it. I did for all the other plugins I own (except the freeware).

It is also worth pointing out that I'm not aware of any other plugins that do exactly what this one does.

otek

Brendo
May 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM
It is also worth pointing out that I'm not aware of any other plugins that do exactly what this one does.

Lies! There are plenty of plugins that do three fifths of fuck all.

Regards,
Brendo

blackieC
May 24th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I've still got a CB mic wired to a quarter inch plug. I think I've got this covered. Maybe I'll hotglue some rhinestones to the grill so I feel special.