PDA

View Full Version : hey, I'm still here?

weedywet
May 22nd, 2011, 01:54 AM
what went wrong?

Logan
May 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
You either didn't wish on the ruby slippers or you forgot to click you heels together three times. Salvation is apparently in waltz time. Could have fucked up the math I guess. take care Logan

Darth_Fader
May 22nd, 2011, 02:43 AM
So am I.

Best rapture joke I have been responsible for. At the Powell St turnaround for the cable car in SF, the usual guy was spouting "the end is at hand" at everyone. So I shouted back "The rapture already came, and YOU'RE STILL HERE!!!"

The entire cable car, which turned out (totally by serendipity) to be full of Methodist Ministers on convention, broke out laughing. The preacher started to shout bible verses, and they shouted other ones back until we got out of hearing range, which was about 3 blocks because the guy was sprinting up the road shouting at us.

As to today. Wish I knew where to store a photo here :)

Maybe I just did. :)

weedywet
May 22nd, 2011, 03:33 AM
Could have fucked up the math I guess.

again

last time, Camping said it was in 1994.

Damage, Inc.
May 22nd, 2011, 04:45 AM
I'm a little offended God didn't want me.

CloseToTheEdge
May 22nd, 2011, 04:53 AM
Dunno. I been out looting since yesterday. Gotta beat the crowds!

Johnny
May 22nd, 2011, 05:05 AM
I've been quoting Deuteronomy 18 all day.

TheNetStudio
May 22nd, 2011, 05:21 AM
I've been quoting Deuteronomy 18 all day.

I always liked that passage, for a lot of reasons.

Today I also think Matthew 24:36 is appropriate.

CloseToTheEdge
May 22nd, 2011, 05:38 AM
Personally, I've always preferred the message in Vikings 28 : Raiders 0

Brethren, let us not forget the wisdom in those words.

Johnny
May 22nd, 2011, 05:40 AM
I have found verse 34 to be pretty instructive there, too, and helpful for placing that entire chapter in its first century context.

MKZ
May 22nd, 2011, 06:14 AM
Are you sure?

Can anyone prove that this isn't Hell?

TheNetStudio
May 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
I have found verse 34 to be pretty instructive there, too, and helpful for placing that entire chapter in its first century context.

Indeed a vexing passage - Even CS Lewis struggled with it. As with all things exegetical, context is critical.

G. Hoffman
May 22nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Issac Newton said 1867 (or there about), and he was a lot smarter than anyone to try that calculation since (AND better with numbers, of course). If HE was wrong, how is anyone else going to get it right.

On the other hand, if (as I learned this week from Doonesbury), the bible says that man can't know the date of the Apocalypse, maybe all these people are figuring it out right, and because that would contradict the bible, God has to postpone it. Maybe all these people are saving all of us from the end times? It would be nice if they would do something that actually had value.

Gabriel

dnafe
May 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Damn...now I have to cut the lawn.

Was counting on the Rapture to take care of it.

Now it's at least foot long

Damn!

Mo Facta
May 22nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
The rapture was the big bang and the earth is hell. The religious just haven't realized that yet.

Cheers :tinfoil:

dwoz
May 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Indeed a vexing passage - Even CS Lewis struggled with it. As with all things exegetical, context is critical.

Context and the Bible? you're a heretic. No wonder you're still posting here.

I'm afraid that I'm probably still here because my daughters were discovered to have been alone with boys in pre-marital contact of some general and unspecified nature, and I failed to take them down to the town square to have them put to death by stoning.

Sinning totally sucks.

dwoz
May 22nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
what went wrong?

You're probably still here because of She Bop

sucka

radiationroom
May 22nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
Damn...now I have to cut the lawn.

That is called "rapturing the grass"....

....especially if you bag in instead of mulching it!!! :Wink:

ivmike
May 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM
This explains what happened...

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/rapture

Carlo
May 22nd, 2011, 10:29 PM
I'm a little offended God didn't want me.

What was it that W.C. Fields said...?

"I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!" Or something like that...:Confused:

Starfucker
May 22nd, 2011, 10:58 PM
If all this were true, at least we would've had our 5 months on earth without jesusfreaks...

But no...

Evil!

dwoz
May 22nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
What's NOT funny about all this is that this nut, Camping, has a large radio network, that is just about the most toxic content on the FM dial.

vocalnick
May 22nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
It's pretty much impossible to accurately predict the date of something that's never going to happen.

zakco
May 22nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
http://eternal-earthbound-pets.com/

Unfortunately at this time we are not equipped to accommodate all species and must limit our services to dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, and small caged mammals. [Please note: we offer rescue services for horses, camels, llamas, donkeys, etc. in NH,VT, ID and MT

It's comforting to know that camel owners in Vermont can rapture without worry.

No mention of Aardvarks though...

Johnny
May 23rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
It's pretty much impossible to accurately predict the date of something that's never going to happen.

Zackly.

Fulcrum
May 23rd, 2011, 03:44 AM
What was it that W.C. Fields said...?

"I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!" Or something like that...:Confused:

That would have been the one, the only.. Groucho.

HOOK
May 23rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
That would have been the one, the only.. Groucho.

....the brother of Karl?

:vuvu:

HOOK

Starfucker
May 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
f9KlMWzKj4s

:grin:

Barish
May 23rd, 2011, 09:38 AM

Within the Rapture context, I'll :Thumbsup: to that.

B.

PRobb
May 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
....the brother of Karl?

:vuvu:

HOOK
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-qx4d73mkio/Sw668k1IdDI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/3VPyXYddrKI/s320/Firesign+Theater.jpg

PRobb
May 23rd, 2011, 05:00 PM
What's NOT funny about all this is that this nut, Camping, has a large radio network, that is just about the most toxic content on the FM dial.

Interesting to see what happens to his ratings.

KungFuLio
May 23rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
rapture, crapture... it'll happen when it h

nobby
May 23rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
Within the Rapture context, I'll :Thumbsup: to that.

As far as not knowing when the end is coming, it's quite possible that if a large comet or asteroid is headed our way may have a head's up of a day or so.

The bad news is that there won't be time to fence the stuff you looted so you'll still die poor. (Also, it's a buyer's market)

The good news is that it won't matter.

Interesting to see what happens to his ratings.

What happened the last time?

dwoz
May 23rd, 2011, 11:27 PM
rapture, crapture... it'll happen when it h

Now, THAT's funny!!!!

blackieC
May 24th, 2011, 05:53 AM
You're probably still here because of She Bop

sucka

I'm pretty sure that God is going to let that one slide as it was a pretty catchy tune and didn't involve spilling seed upon the ground. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that old testament-wise, only men are punished for self implementation of the nether bits. On the surface it may seem unfair, but I think that God may have some foreknowledge of how long it would take the male populace to learn about the little man in the boat.

zakco
May 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I think that God may have some foreknowledge of how long it would take the male populace to learn about the little man in the boat.

If we're talking old testament, the populace may have mistaken that for "little man in the goat".

Johnny
May 24th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Of course, Camping is entirely unrepentant. He now says that Saturday was judgement day, and now the "rapture" is coming with the dissolution of the cosmos in October. I hate to be right about this, but that's exactly what I told my wife I thought he would say!
:headpalm:

Wide-O
May 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Of course, Camping is entirely unrepentant. He now says that Saturday was judgement day, and now the "rapture" is coming with the dissolution of the cosmos in October. I hate to be right about this, but that's exactly what I told my wife I thought he would say!
:headpalm:

I know you know your Bible better than I do, but if he assumes that the final "splut" would be in 5 months, shouldn't we have seen some people ascending to heaven last Saturday?

One other question: I never calculated this myself, but I thought that if you take all generations and ages of the OT, you'd end up with an earth being created about 6010 (give or take) years ago. Didn't he predict it would go up in flames 7,000 years after the Flood? I mean, that would at least give us a few more centuries, right? :Coolio:

Something else: although I was brought up a Catholic (and yeah sorry, I kinda strayed, I'll burn), we never ever learned anything about Revelations here. Why is it so popular in the US? Honest question, no trap.

Johnny
May 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Honest answer: The version of the "end times" with which Evangelicals in the US are obsessed is a recent novelty. Its "technical" name is "Dispensational Premillennialism" (like anyone cares) and it was invented in the early 1800s by a guy named Darby and others. It kind of accompanied the revivalism of the so-called Second Great Awakening, so as that spread into the Evangelical Churches this end-times fantasy went with it.

It's easy for people to fall for it because a lot of folks don't read their Bibles. It's a catch-22. Dispensationalism teaches that the Old Testament is not for the Church, so no one reads the prophets and becomes familiar with that kind of language. Then they read that exact same language from Jesus and the Apostles and think it's talking about something it isn't.

And, because they're confused by it, what is supposed to be an "unveiling" (which is what apocalypse means) is an "obscuring," so they're easily duped by some guy claiming to have "cracked the code." But there is no code, it's actually pretty clear.

For what it's worth, my opinion is an older one that most of that stuff was prophecy of Jerusalem's destruction in 70 A.D. The world ended--the Old Testament world.

Though I do believe Jesus is coming back to judge us all, so y'all may continue to call me a kook. :lol: I think there are many thousands of years to go before that happens.

nobby
May 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Something else: although I was brought up a Catholic (and yeah sorry, I kinda strayed, I'll burn)

You're gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA! :Twisted:

aY1APSk0SS0

Aardvark
May 24th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Its "technical" name is "Dispensational Premillennialism"

I prefer "Additional Sky-Fairy nonsense."

...I do believe Jesus is coming back to judge us all, so y'all may continue to call me a kook. :lol: I think there are many thousands of years to go before that happens.

Thousands of years?

I don't think so.

You are a kook.

There... what was that? Ten minutes?:Coolio:

Very nice of Mr. Camping to leave his Charity's wealth (some $35 million in stocks and bonds) to those who would not be raptured... oh wait... he sure as Hell never let one penny of that or his money out of his control now did he.

Typical lying piece of shit flim-flam man.

May he spend eternity writhing in pain on the wrong end of Satan's barbed tallywhacker.

Cheers,
NorapturetodayVark

Wide-O
May 24th, 2011, 06:05 PM

aY1APSk0SS0

OK (and don't think I'm being a belligerent gaul here ), and I appreciate your honest answer, but why do we scare people like that? I know that Jesus didn't want to change one iota of the OT. I also know that the end times - according to some - should have happened in his own generation.

Forget all that... don't you think kids could get really messed up about this?

Johnny
May 24th, 2011, 07:07 PM
OK (and don't think I'm being a belligerent gaul here ), and I appreciate your honest answer, but why do we scare people like that? I know that Jesus didn't want to change one iota of the OT. I also know that the end times - according to some - should have happened in his own generation.

I think all kinds of people can get really messed up about this. I discuss these things with Dispensationalists far more than I do with unbelievers.

Why do people scare people like that? Power. All worldviews have an eschatology, and all of those have their kooks saying the end is near (Al Gore, Harold Camping, Ahmadinejad).

As I said, I'm of the view that the "end" that was prophesied DID occur in that generation. The end of the OT age.

weedywet
May 24th, 2011, 10:26 PM
wait, because I was looking at your hands as you moved the cards around, I noticed - are you saying climate change isn't real or a problem?

that's 'the same' as predicting guys on horseback are imminently about to materialise out of thin air to kill people who foreswear the secret handshake?

really?

Johnny
May 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I don't believe the climate problems we have been having are man-made. But you prolly guessed that. I also don't believe guys on horseback are anything but symbolic visions, like the book says they are.

Instead of equating Gore with Camping, howzabout Paul Ehrlich?

But I was speaking of eschatologies. Everyone's got one.

nobby
May 24th, 2011, 11:17 PM

My honest answer? This?

Originally Posted by nobby

:lol::lol::lol:

Just replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and don't smoke in bed, mkay? :grin:

Basically my post had nothing to do with religion. I was just pimping one of my all time favorite tracks.

The lyrics crack me up and the music is outstanding.

Brown earned a fast reputation for outlandish and often macabre performances, which included the use of a burning metal helmet that led to occasional mishaps, such as a Windsor, England, show in which the methanol fueling of the helmet crown poured over his head by accident and caught fire; two bystanders doused the flames by pouring beer on Brown’s head, preventing any serious injury.

He was also reputed to have stripped naked while performing shows, notably in Italy, after setting his hair on fire as well, (for which he was arrested and thrown out of the country).

By 1968, the debut album, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown by the band with the same name, became a surprise hit on both sides of the Atlantic. Produced by The Who's manager Kit Lambert, and executive-produced by Pete Townshend (the album was issued on Track Records, the label begun by Lambert and Chris Stamp, in the UK), it spun off an equally surprising hit single, "Fire".

"Fire" sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc. The song saw its infamous opening line "I am the God of Hellfire" sampled in numerous other places, most notably in The Prodigy's 1992 rave anthem "Fire". The album also included a macabre cover of the Screamin' Jay Hawkins oldie "I Put a Spell on You".

The band included Vincent Crane on Hammond organ and piano, Drachen Theaker on drums, and Nick Greenwood on bass. Theaker was replaced by Carl Palmer, later of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, during the band's second American tour. Crane and Palmer eventually left to form Atomic Rooster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Brown_%28musician%29

weedywet
May 24th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I don't believe the climate problems we have been having are man-made. But you prolly guessed that. I also don't believe guys on horseback are anything but symbolic visions, like the book says they are.

Instead of equating Gore with Camping, howzabout Paul Ehrlich?

because in order to be a republiklan you have to believe that?

or because you believe that the imaginary beings wouldn't allow people to damage the earth?

Gore says that the Earth's temp has been rising in a direct relationship over time to carbon emission increases.
and he says it's getting bad.

are you saying those things aren't true?
Because I'm saying what Camping says simply isn't true.

dwoz
May 25th, 2011, 01:09 AM
The big problem is that people see what's in front of them, and that's their reality.

In the summer in Westchester, it's 90 degrees. In the winter, it gets down to -15.

That's a big, big swing of temperature. A hundred degrees (F)

That makes it really difficult for them to imagine that a 3 degree change in the average temp of the seas, means we get category 7 hurricanes, F8 tornadoes, blistering drought and swamping rains a hundred miles away from each other, seasons shifting to the left by a month, etc.

And it gets worse with each 1/10 of a degree.

the astute among you will realize that category 5 and F5 are the top of the scale. Today.

Man made changes only have to swing the temps a degree or two for things to come unravelled.

That seems COMPLETELY counterintuitive to the people who see 100 degree differences between the extremes of summer and winter.

PRobb
May 25th, 2011, 02:33 AM
wait, because I was looking at your hands as you moved the cards around, I noticed - are you saying climate change isn't real or a problem?

that's 'the same' as predicting guys on horseback are imminently about to materialise out of thin air to kill people who foreswear the secret handshake?

really?

The idea that climate change ranks with getting raptured in the "crazy theory" league is shockingly common in this country.
We are screwed.

Johnny
May 25th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I'm not a Republican.

weedywet
May 25th, 2011, 03:45 AM
so it's answer number B?

the earth is under the protection of the flying spaghetti monster?

jerryskid
May 25th, 2011, 04:19 AM
When Camping predicted it in '94 the Chinese restaurant next door put a sign up that said "Jesus is coming on Saturday".....I put a sign under it that said "FREE BALLOONS FOR THE KIDS".......:grin:

Aardvark
May 25th, 2011, 04:31 AM
the earth is under the protection of the flying spaghetti monster?

Beer volcanoes and strippers!!

Who-Hoo!

Are there other Pastafarians here?

:beer:

cozmicslop
May 25th, 2011, 05:02 AM

My Grandmama used to say that.

ParamB
May 25th, 2011, 05:47 AM

Who-Hoo!

Ramen!

PRobb
May 25th, 2011, 04:04 PM

Who-Hoo!

May you be touched by his noodley appendage!

MacGregor
May 25th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm still here

How can you know that you're here and not there?

Mac

Darth_Fader
May 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Ramen!

Bless his noodly appendages!

PRobb
May 27th, 2011, 02:07 AM
How can you know that you're here and not there?

Mac

How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

Knastratt
May 27th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Ramen!

:lol:

I'm noodling around that religion as well.

vocalnick
May 28th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I don't believe the climate problems we have been having are man-made.

I don't believe they are man-made either.

I have, on the other hand, considered the weight of evidence and decided that they are.

dwoz
May 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM
These recent weather anomalies are 100% bona fide natural events. Nothing to do with human activity whatsoever.

However, the change in the global ocean temps that fuel these storms, is.

sunspots, my ass.

Nature is like a golf chip shot, that puts the ball a mere 3 blades of grass distance from the cup. The amount of energy that was required to place the ball at the cup was huge, on a planet scale. The amount of energy that would have been required to put the ball into the cup, is on a human scale and quite minor, if applied in the right point of the flight of the ball...

PRobb
May 28th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I don't believe they are man-made either.

I have, on the other hand, considered the weight of evidence and decided that they are.

Yup.
And the distinction you make is crucial.

Starfucker
May 28th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Alright guys... stop arguing.

It was me ok.

I fucked up the climate.

there...

... and no it wasn't because of the onions I ate.

But the important thing is that there is no old man with a white beard living in the clouds and looking down on each and everyone of us.

dwoz
May 29th, 2011, 01:34 AM
No, it's someone that looks like halle berry.

MacGregor
May 29th, 2011, 07:53 AM
...looking down on each and everyone of us.

I could live with the fact that Halle Berry is looking down at me.

Mac

Aardvark
May 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Ever met a woman who wasn't?:lol:

I KID!

Cheers,
She'dbeagreatgoddessVark!

MacGregor
May 29th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Ever met a woman who wasn't?:lol:

Sure, some prefer the missionary position.

Mac

Starfucker
May 30th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I don't like it when she's looking down at everyone at the same time though...

Watching your every move and then judging whether she'll allow you to enter the holy land.

:Confused:

nobby
May 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
We've got until October 21st now... whew!

tsN50hB8x_M

Holy Halle!

Halle holy dream
Wanting only you
And she come
And I run just like the wind will

Halle Holy

0igDzsHphqs

Wide-O
May 30th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I think all kinds of people can get really messed up about this. I discuss these things with Dispensationalists far more than I do with unbelievers.

Why do people scare people like that? Power. All worldviews have an eschatology, and all of those have their kooks saying the end is near (Al Gore, Harold Camping, Ahmadinejad).

As I said, I'm of the view that the "end" that was prophesied DID occur in that generation. The end of the OT age.

I dropped out of the conversation for a while because then we got to global warming/climate change etc.

To be honest: I never was a big fan of Al Gore. And you know why? Because the doomsday element.

"We are all sinners, and we are going to pay for it." As a non-religious person, I didn't like that.

Maybe we should define "worldview". Personally I do think we are making a bit of a mess on our planet right now, but I don't see how that is part of my worldview. I actually think we might be able to manage it. I don't say I believe we will. I think we just might to. Or not.

Power. Yes, of course, can't disagree with you there. The best way to gain power is to scare the living shit out of other people. I do disagree with you on the notion that everyone believes "the end is near".

Anyway.

Your view about the end of that generation having actually ended at the end of the OT is new to me. I may be an unbeliever, but I do happen to read about religion a lot, and I must say I didn't come across this before.

Am I correct in assuming that you personally don't approve of the whole (in this case Christian) concept of the "end times"?

weedywet
May 30th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I 'approve' of whatever myths make people happy.

as long as we differentiate them from science.
and keep them away from public, societal decision making.

nobby
May 30th, 2011, 04:20 PM
The New testament isn't so new anymore, if you ask me.
Time for an upgrade.

How about a New & Improved Testament?

Now with extra miracles!

otek
May 30th, 2011, 06:09 PM

The problem I have with the Christian view (or what I get from it when I talk to Christians) is that most are saying "well, that's ok - we're going to a better place when the end times come".

No one talks about actually fixing the problem.

otek

MacGregor
May 30th, 2011, 06:36 PM
"well, that's ok - we're going to a better place when the end times come".

otek

Well, THAT can wait till mastering!

Mac

Johnny
May 30th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I'ma include a response to Otek because it goes along with my answer to Wide-O.

Your view about the end of that generation having actually ended at the end of the OT is new to me. I may be an unbeliever, but I do happen to read about religion a lot, and I must say I didn't come across this before.
It's a view that Christians have held to throughout our history, to at least some degree. If you really want to read about it, message me. If not, cool. When you talk about passages like Matthew 24, the majority opinion is that that's a prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem, not the end of the world.

Am I correct in assuming that you personally don't approve of the whole (in this case Christian) concept of the "end times"?
Not the concept I wrote of earlier--Dispensationalism (the "Left Behind" scenario). The reason why I disapprove? Scripture doesn't teach it. But I believe in the Second Coming, as the Bible really portrays it, and like I wrote, I think it's a long ways away, for many reasons.

Otek:

The problem I have with the Christian view (or what I get from it when I talk to Christians) is that most are saying "well, that's ok - we're going to a better place when the end times come".

That's the Dispensational thing again, and I know that's most of the guys you've hung around. The whole idea that the world's going to hell and we're going to get "airlifted" out. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, as you say--no one wants to improve the world, because it's all gonna burn, man. Besides the fact that I don't believe the Bible teaches this (it's a recent invention), this escapism is why I'm whatcha call Postmillennial.

otek
May 31st, 2011, 12:22 AM
Otek:

That's the Dispensational thing again, and I know that's most of the guys you've hung around. The whole idea that the world's going to hell and we're going to get "airlifted" out. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, as you say--no one wants to improve the world, because it's all gonna burn, man. Besides the fact that I don't believe the Bible teaches this (it's a recent invention), this escapism is why I'm whatcha call Postmillennial.

From what I know of the bible, that's not how I understand it either - this is why I have been so disheartened when talking to some Christians who don't appear to give a shit about NOW and what they can do to make things better.

This does not represent ALL the Christians I've met. Those I call my friends are caring, intelligent human beings with a VERY conscientious view of the world.

otek

Johnny
May 31st, 2011, 12:33 AM
There's a Dispy preacher from the 50s who used to say "You don't polish the brass on a sinking ship." Ay yi yi.

That's the mentality that made our art start to suck as bad as it does. If it's just a marketing tool there's not a lot of reason to excel at it.

frnjplayer
May 31st, 2011, 03:14 PM
There's a Dispy preacher from the 50s who used to say "You don't polish the brass on a sinking ship." Ay yi yi.

That's the mentality that made our art start to suck as bad as it does. If it's just a marketing tool there's not a lot of reason to excel at it.

The old saying of "So heavenly minded that they're no earthly good" comes to mind. Biblically, you're supposed to take good care of what you've been given. That includes the planet.

ivmike
June 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM

Agree 100%.

Johnny
June 3rd, 2011, 04:10 PM
"Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

I got it! Camping's a Browncoat!