PDA

View Full Version : RIP James Arness

otek
June 7th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Zebulon Macahan made his final ride into the sunset on June 3rd.

To you Americans out there, Arness was probably best known as Marshall Matt Dillon from the long-running Gunsmoke TV series.

The subsequent How The West Was Won, about the adventures of the Macahan family in the 19th century United States, was (and is) a cult classic here in the Scandinavian countries. Aside from Arness, it featured actors such as Eva Marie Saint, Bruce Boxleitner and Fionulla Flanagan, as well as guest stars such as Lloyd Bridges, Harris Yulin and Slim Pickens.

To a lot of us growing up in the 70s, Zebulon 'Zeb' Macahan was the quintessential Western Hero, and became something of an archetype.

The American Television Archives made a long and interesting interview with Arness a few years ago. I believe it is still available on Youtube.

The Macahans series was recently released on DVD.

otek

Aardvark
June 7th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Old James had a great run... may his time from here on be good.

As a side note of no small interest... can anyone remember his GF's last name in the series?

The correct answer is...

"Litter".:beer:

Cheers,
ClumpVark

MacGregor
June 7th, 2011, 08:23 AM
R.I.P.

I only saw the re-runs of the re-runs of Gunsmoke, but I enjoyed it.
Still prefer the Cimarron Strip, though, because I got my nickname from there.

Mac

Fulcrum
June 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Gunsmoke was pretty much SOP TV viewing in my house on Sunday nights in the 60s and 70s. In addition to the adventures of Marshal Dillon and his sidekick Festus, I seem to recall harboring a mild crush on Miz Kitty.

John Eppstein
June 8th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Gunsmoke was pretty much SOP TV viewing in my house on Sunday nights in the 60s and 70s. In addition to the adventures of Marshal Dillon and his sidekick Festus, I seem to recall harboring a mild crush on Miz Kitty.

Festus only showed up in the later seasons, toward the end of the series, The classic sidekick was Chester, with the bum leg, played by Dennis Weaver (later star of "McCloud").

Gunsmoke was one of my Dad's two favorites shows, along with Perry Mason......

Adios, Mr. Dillon......

Carlo
June 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Gunsmoke was THE western of my generation...straight-up justice, served with a healthy dose of small-town humor. Festus, Doc, and Miss Kitty, but most of all the Man, James Arness and that big Colt .45 of his.

And don't forget, he was the monster in the Thing also.

RIP Mr. Arness, RIP. :Cry:

nobby
June 11th, 2011, 01:19 AM
My parents used to get some quality time (they called it "peace and quiet" back then :grin: ) while their sons were in the play room watching Gunsmoke.

Perry Mason came on after bedtime. After I was tucked in I had to sneak back down and watch from a doorway :)

Props, James -- well done!