PDA

View Full Version : how much toilet paper do YOU put over your nearfields?

gonzo-x
June 7th, 2011, 11:12 PM
http://bobhodas.com/examining-the-yamaha-ns-10m.php

jerryskid
June 8th, 2011, 05:24 AM
About 6 rolls...but I do tend to have explosive diarrhea....:icon_eek:

nobby
June 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM
What I want to know is which brand of bubblegum is best for adhering the tissue paper to my tweeters?

:headpalm:

MKZ
June 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Depends on the genre.

radiationroom
June 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
What I want to know is which brand of bubblegum is best for adhering the tissue paper to my tweeters?

:headpalm:

Snot boogers work really well!

:icon_eek: :grin:

But in all seriousness, I've never liked NS-10s and find them fatiguing to listen to after a few minutes. Plus in some runs of the NS-10, the drivers came from the factory wired out-of-phase at the crossover frequency.

:headpalm: :Confused: :Thumbdown: :Thumbdown:

6x2
June 8th, 2011, 10:07 PM
The toilet paper only applied for the "old" tweeters.

For the "new" ones, you'd have to use the paper first, then extract...

OK let's not go there.

6x2

weedywet
June 9th, 2011, 07:14 AM
http://bobhodas.com/examining-the-yamaha-ns-10m.php

I seem to remember a pretty funny letter in response from Bob Clearmountain the following month.
in it, he, amongst other things, corrects the record by saying what kind of tissue he used.

gonzo-x
June 9th, 2011, 03:34 PM
hehe, i just cracked up when i first read this article.

hodas was SO THorough......

and the part about comb filtering, that was actually worthy of the entire read.

i mean, i know about comb filtering, on paper...

but in actual application, well, hell, you can imagine all the applications....

would the old 'flat wood pencil in front of the LD mic' be considered comb filtering?

nobby
June 9th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I coffee filter the two bus so my mixes can sound brown without being grainy.

meLoCo_go
June 9th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I prefer to put it directly into my ears.

PRobb
June 9th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I seem to remember a pretty funny letter in response from Bob Clearmountain the following month.
in it, he, amongst other things, corrects the record by saying what kind of tissue he used.

All I'll say about that is that Mr. Clearmountain did a whole lot of insanely great mixes with tissue paper on his NS-10s.

weedywet
June 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM
all Bob ever said was, in essence, 'I tried these and they sounded pretty good but things sounded a bit dull at home, so I put some tissue over the tweeters and tried again and it seemed to work for me.'

he never said anyone else should even USE the wretched things, let alone tissue them

radiationroom
June 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM
If you are equipping a studio from the ground up, B&Ws all the way powered either by Marantz, Bryston, or Rotel amplifiers. :beer:

PRobb
June 11th, 2011, 06:45 PM
all Bob ever said was, in essence, 'I tried these and they sounded pretty good but things sounded a bit dull at home, so I put some tissue over the tweeters and tried again and it seemed to work for me.'

he never said anyone else should even USE the wretched things, let alone tissue them

True.
But there is about a ten year period where every studio picture you see has NS-10s with tissued tweeters sitting on the meter bridge.

eagan
June 11th, 2011, 08:37 PM
True.
But there is about a ten year period where every studio picture you see has NS-10s with tissued tweeters sitting on the meter bridge.

Primate observe (or get from "I heard from a guy that.."), primate emulate.

But seriously....

Just wrap the fuckers in a half roll of duct tape.
Switch signal to a different pair of monitors.
Done.

JLE