PDA

View Full Version : Here in Vancouver...

Aardvark
June 16th, 2011, 02:02 AM
... there is an amazing air of possibility and puckered nervousness and I am either going to going to the biggest party ever in BC or filming the biggest mass suicide since Jonesville.

In between the first and second periods... the Canuks are down a goal and show zero signs of getting one.

Not quite as good as Montreal but the babes on the street equation is damn fine. If the home team wins will they be showing their tits?

Cheers,
Aardvark

Aardvark
June 16th, 2011, 02:54 AM
3-0 Boston as the second ends and Vancouver is feeling a lot like Toronto in November as the hockey hopes fade to black for another year or forty but who is counting.

Time to go film some jumpers soon.

Cheers,
FuckIhatetheBruinsbutfullcreditVArk

dwoz
June 16th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Not to put too fine a point on things, but I wish I was in Back Bay right now, walking down Commonwealth ave, waiting for the after-game show.

I think the last time the Bruins held the cup, there was a guy named Esposito on the squad?

dwoz
June 16th, 2011, 03:28 AM
this boston goalie is scaring the piss out of me. so many rebounds floating out to the top of the crease like sitting ducks....

Aardvark
June 16th, 2011, 03:45 AM
this boston goalie is scaring the piss out of me. so many rebounds floating out to the top of the crease like sitting ducks....

No worries for Thomas and his boys.

CAnuks are toast and something of a shameful excuse at this point.

Congradulations to the fuck-face Bruins and in particular Mark Recchi who has always been a great player and class act.:Thumbsup:

Cheers,
Aardvark

dwoz
June 16th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Have to wonder at pulling yer goalie at 3:44....

Vancouver looked like they were just pushing the puck over the blue line and hoping for a good bounce.

dwoz
June 16th, 2011, 03:50 AM
For chrissakes, I was in HIGH SCHOOL the last time this happened.

Slipperman
June 16th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Bruins win.

Never any doubt.

Canuks bite Elk cock in a blinding snowstorm.

Again.

Hockey:

The AMERICAN game.

SM.

Carlo
June 16th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Aardy, I hope you use your considerable skills, and provide a suitable shoulder for the sad girls...plenty of sad girls anyway in Vancouver, so there will be a long, hard row to hoe...

No one else is more cut out...:weedstore:

PRobb
June 16th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Not to put too fine a point on things, but I wish I was in Back Bay right now, walking down Commonwealth ave, waiting for the after-game show.

I think the last time the Bruins held the cup, there was a guy named Esposito on the squad?

The bumper sticker at the time was "Jesus saves...and Esposito scores on the rebound!"

So I understand the Bostons won the skatey puck thingee, right?

nobby
June 16th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I am either going to going to the biggest party ever in BC or filming the biggest mass suicide since Jonesville.

Either way, it's a good thing if it gets your mind off of ice hockey.

Chris Lambrechts
June 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Awesome .... finally ... BRUINS !!!

Chris

Slipperman
June 16th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Riots break out in Vancouver.

Ahh me.

The irony.

SM.

macrae11
June 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Bruins win.

Never any doubt.

Canuks bite Elk cock in a blinding snowstorm.

Again.

Hockey:

The AMERICAN game.

SM.

Just a point of fact. The cup may be in the States for another year, but the Bruins squad had 17 Canadians on it.....and 2 Americans. Although mucho props to Tim Thomas who won the Conn Smythe.

macrae11
June 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Oh an I also realize how calling out Slippy on my second post is something akin to placing my dick in a guillotine. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Drumwaiter
June 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Oh an I also realize how calling out Slippy on my second post is something akin to placing my dick in a guillotine. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.
It's funny really... I've known you for what, 5 years now? Never once have we talked about hockey. Only about making music. Is it possible that you secretly enjoy hockey but you somehow neglected to tell me? By the way... I was cheering for Boston the whole time.

PS - Although I should have been preparing for you to come in and mix this weekend, I neglected my duties to watch hockey. I know, I'm a terrible assistant. But I'll work extra hard tonight to make up for it. ;)

sidechain
June 16th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Just a point of fact. The cup may be in the States for another year, but the Bruins squad had 17 Canadians on it.....and 2 Americans. Although mucho props to Tim Thomas who won the Conn Smythe.

you beat me to it! SM may think hockey is American game as long as the teams mostly have Canadian on it. :beer:
Boston played hard and came out at the end ...
There is always next year ...

macrae11
June 16th, 2011, 03:59 PM
It's funny really... I've known you for what, 5 years now? Never once have we talked about hockey. Only about making music. Is it possible that you secretly enjoy hockey but you somehow neglected to tell me? By the way... I was cheering for Boston the whole time.

PS - Although I should have been preparing for you to come in and mix this weekend, I neglected my duties to watch hockey. I know, I'm a terrible assistant. But I'll work extra hard tonight to make up for it. ;)

I enjoy almost all sports really, especially if it's good quality athletes. Nothing secret about it, although I don't have anywhere near the obsession with hockey most Canadians do. I don't really have teams that are "mine", I just enjoy good matches.

I actually went to sleep after Boston scored the first two goals because I knew it was all over at that point but the crying.

Slipperman
June 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Trust me gentlemen.

If you grew up in northern NYS near Canada, playing youth hockey throughout the 60' and 70's...

You would only issue such statements to harass and annoy.

Not that I would ever engage in such activities.

SM.

CloseToTheEdge
June 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Being somewhat unfamiliar with hockey culture I must ask:

Do women show their tits for hockey match outcomes?

If so, I have seriously underestimated my own interest in this evident sport of kings.

I'm now pondering the overall effect a very low ambient temperature on the anatomy of these most enthusiastic female fans by the proximity of so much ice.

My conclusions:

(.)(.) = :Thumbsup:
(.)(.) = :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

Go generic hockey team!!!

gonzo-x
June 16th, 2011, 06:19 PM
there appears to be quite the criminal element, alive and well in vancouver

PRobb
June 16th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Boston has become the City of Champions.
They now have a title in all four major sports in the last decade.

Wide-O
June 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I fully and totally understand supporting a team, and screaming out your lungs.

I just do not understand the violence. (in the streets, that is)

I'm getting old.

binaural turbine
June 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I didn't quite get the jumping over bonfires part.

some arcane canadian ritual to exorcise demons?

I seriously wasn't sure if the Bruins would win. After our performance in the previous three games in the Rogers arena.

All I knew was, the first team to score, wins.

I got up to get something to drink. Came back to the tv. Boston had scored. :headpalm: I missed it.

macrae11
June 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Trust me gentlemen.

If you grew up in northern NYS near Canada, playing youth hockey throughout the 60' and 70's...

You would only issue such statements to harass and annoy.

Not that I would ever engage in such activities.

SM.

Hey Slippy. I'm not going to lie and say that some piss taking wasn't at least part of the intent of my post.

The other part however was making sure that the record is set straight. Let's face the truth, the vast majority of your population don't give one rat's hairy gonad about any sport that takes place on ice. For game 6 in the US TV watchers maxed out at 5.4 million viewers. In Canada the most at one time was 8.1 million. This is in a country with one tenth the population. More people in the US watched The Bachelorette, and a rerun of Two and a Half Men for god's sake!

Canadians make up more than half of all NHL players, and while the US makes up almost 20%, per capita they have less than half the number of players of Latvia!

So I get it, you grew up way to close to the true north strong and free, and the cold sapped some of your American brain. I'm thinking really deep down, even if you don't care to admit it, you wish you were Canadian, if for nothing else than the fact that you could have walked into any bar in the entire country last night and they would have been showing hockey on the big screens. Not So You Think You can Dance. It's the national sport up here, and don't let some smart ass say anything about some lacrosse BS. Your comrades would prefer baseball.:Confused:

On a serious note, I had no idea there were that many douches in Vancouver.

Tyrus
June 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM

I do, What i don't get is how a couple decided to make out on the streets during the violence...guess violence brings out the frisky in some.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2011/06/16/137221886/yes-those-people-are-literally-kissing-on-the-ground-in-the-street-amid-a-riot?sc=fb&cc=fp

Boston has become the City of Champions.
They now have a title in all four major sports in the last decade.

Ironically enough...the last time to win one was the Patriots, in 2004 i think?

They started it.

frnjplayer
June 16th, 2011, 10:05 PM

I'm getting old.

I'm thinking part of it is our bread and circuses culture, and when athletes and entertainers are some of our highest paid citizens it is a bread and circuses culture.

The city of Vancouver threw a very large circus. Let's pack 100,000 people into the streets of about 8 square blocks and add booze. Lot's of booze. The 500 cops on duty should be able to keep them in control ne c'est pas?
When the circus failed to properly entertain then the small number of people who felt violence was their right had plenty of innocent bystanders between them and the authorities and so had a free rein.
I'm not sure any other major city would have had a different outcome in similar circumstances. I'm guessing most of them would have seen the possibilities and perhaps balanced the crowd:authority ratio a little better.

Fulcrum
June 17th, 2011, 12:39 AM

They were the first of the four major sports teams in the Hub to win a championship. The Red Sox won the World Series later that year and again in 2007. Celtics won the NBA finals in 2008 or 2009?

So can we talk about baseball now?

NathanRocks88
June 17th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I do, What i don't get is how a couple decided to make out on the streets during the violence...guess violence brings out the frisky in some.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2011/06/16/137221886/yes-those-people-are-literally-kissing-on-the-ground-in-the-street-amid-a-riot?sc=fb&cc=fp

They started it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tyrus
June 17th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Celtics won the NBA finals in 2008 or 2009?

So can we talk about baseball now?

1) Had to be 2008 because the Lakers won the last 2 (up until Dallas became everybody's favorite team)

2) There's a thread for that, im just stoked to have a chance to talk basketball somewhere in here :very happy:

snow lizard
June 17th, 2011, 03:29 AM

I'm getting old.

Apparently the riot was planned ahead of time by a "protest group". Would have happened no matter who won.

Something about being too lazy to get jobs and bitching about how everything costs money.

clicktrack
June 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Vancouver == The New Montreal.

Smileyblue
June 18th, 2011, 01:49 AM

They started it.

AND NOW FOR THE DRUM ROLL..........:lol::lol::icon_eek::beer:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8262648/riot-kiss-couple-happy-to-have-shared-moment

Cosmic Pig
June 18th, 2011, 04:18 AM
WHat you got there is dumbassery upon dumbassery. Everybody knew there would be a riot if they lost. Lets get drunk and riot. It's become a Canadian tradition started when we got drunk and burned down the White House in 17whateverthefuck. Proudly passed from drunken abusive father to stupid asshole son for generations.

Add to that the east van downtown core is a festering cesspool of drunken drug addled dumb fucks who have absolutely nothing else to do.

So next time some nose in the air pinky extended tea and crumpets hockey fag tells you how offended they are by the outrageous actions of a few tell them to go fuck their hats. Every body knew it was going to happen. Everybody.

Cos.

Aardvark
June 18th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Vancouver == The New Montreal.

Vancouver...Forty plus years without a Cup=The New Toronto.:boohoo:

Cheers,
Aardvark

iCombs
June 18th, 2011, 11:51 PM
So I get it, you grew up way to close to the true north strong and free, and the cold sapped some of your American brain. I'm thinking really deep down, even if you don't care to admit it, you wish you were Canadian, if for nothing else than the fact that you could have walked into any bar in the entire country last night and they would have been showing hockey on the big screens. Not So You Think You can Dance. It's the national sport up here, and don't let some smart ass say anything about some lacrosse BS. Your comrades would prefer baseball.:Confused:

1) According to the your country's tourism info...it's lacrosse. Sorry. Just how it goes. Much like FOOTBALL garners bigger TV numbers in the US than our alleged National Passtime. We deal with it by drinking.

2) As a Minnesotan...I can pretty safely say a FEW things about hockey, as we are probably the biggest hockey hotbed in the US. Hockey is on the TV constantly...college and NHL mostly...every now and then we get a foreign feed. Probably slightly less "hockeyship" than Canada...but not by a whole hell of a lot.

...now if our NHL team could just get their shit together...

PRobb
June 18th, 2011, 11:57 PM
America really doesn't care about hockey.
The day after the cup finals ended, the lead on Sports Center was US Open golf opening round. Then hockey.

Waltz Mastering
June 18th, 2011, 11:58 PM
They say over a million fans showed up today for the Bruins thing.
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1346303&srvc=home&position=active

Glad I live just outside the city and didn't have to deal.

macrae11
June 19th, 2011, 03:53 AM
1) According to the your country's tourism info...it's lacrosse. Sorry. Just how it goes. Much like FOOTBALL garners bigger TV numbers in the US than our alleged National Passtime. We deal with it by drinking.

2) As a Minnesotan...I can pretty safely say a FEW things about hockey, as we are probably the biggest hockey hotbed in the US. Hockey is on the TV constantly...college and NHL mostly...every now and then we get a foreign feed. Probably slightly less "hockeyship" than Canada...but not by a whole hell of a lot.

...now if our NHL team could just get their shit together...

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/sc/legsltn/n-16-eng.cfm

In 1994 hockey was made Canada's winter national sport.

Let me know when the other 90% of the population joins in on minnesota's hockey fervor.

Probb's got it right. The vast majority of the US doesn't care about hockey.

Aardvark
June 19th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Nice to see that a number of the contributing morons (http://www.techi.com/2011/06/social-media-used-to-identify-vancouver-riot-suspects/) in Vancouver have provided ample evidence to their complete stupidity.

Social Darwinism?

Cheers,
Aardvark

MacGregor
June 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Nice to see that a number of the contributing morons (http://www.techi.com/2011/06/social-media-used-to-identify-vancouver-riot-suspects/) in Vancouver have provided ample evidence to their complete stupidity.

Social Darwinism?

Cheers,
Aardvark

Orwell thought total surveillance would be a government thing. How wrong he was, we're doing it all of our own :headpalm:

I'm quite happy that most of the parties of my youth were pre-mobile-camera :icon_eek::vuvu:

Mac

binaural turbine
June 19th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I'm quite happy that most of the parties of my youth were pre-mobile-camera :icon_eek::vuvu:

Mac

so so so a-fucking-men.

It isn't that we didn't do stupid shit when we were young, we didn't self-publish the evidence for the ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD to see.

"Hey, let's take a picture of Joey stuffing a rag in the police car gas tank filler tube, and post it to FaceMyStupidTubeSpaceBook."

And now with that facial recognition shit that zuckerman so thoughtfully put in there, the chances of remaining anonymous? going down like a 5 dollar whore.

clicktrack
June 19th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Well,

It looks like Darwinian happenstance may have just eliminated this guys' swimmer's from the gene pool...

Flashbang to the Nuts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GyKdrhTwp4&feature=related)

nobby
June 19th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Unbelievable. If they haven't won in forty years, maybe they should switch to tennis or something. You hardly ever hear of tennis riots.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/16/photos-riots-fire-destruction-after-vancouvers-loss/

Aardvark
June 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Orwell thought total surveillance would be a government thing. How wrong he was, we're doing it all on our own :headpalm:
Yes and in this case the police have been sent so much evidence the Crown Attorney's office are working with them to set up a system to help process an unprecedented amount of witness information.

.Indeed.

It turns out that my friend here in Vancouver is friends with one of the idiots who has now been identified, tagged and socially tarred for some quite repugnant behaviour that has already cost them their job.

Tomorrow is the trip to the police station, lawyer in tow.

This person has a new permanent record that will never be erased and forever identified with a perfect example of one of the lowest forms of human depravity.

Drunk, stupid, cell-phone social suicide... the new way to tattoo 'idiot' on your forehead.:headpalm:

Cheers,
Aardvark

dwoz
June 20th, 2011, 06:17 PM
It's interesting perusing the blog commentary around the internet on this event.

One of the prevailing themes was "why didn't the police shoot the effin' bastards?"

I would like to take this moment to commend the vancouver squad for their management of this. In many, many municipalities in the USA, the news today would have been about the deaths of innocent bystanders caught up in the push of the crowd, instead of mere property damage and hooliganism.

Ironically, in 2004 after the Boston Red Sox won the world series, there were deaths in the crowd caused by police. And that crowd was merely "over-excited and exuberant."

As much as this sort of senseless behavior is to be condemned, I really don't think that taking a cop bullet in the head is the best way for society to respond.

By all appearances, the cops in Vancouver did their best to disperse the crowd in the most careful way possible. From what I understand, no body count, no trips to the morgue for grieving parents.

Again, Bravo, Vancouver Police.