PDA

View Full Version : GREAT NEWS: The Amphibians along the Susquehanna are GETTIN' DOWN!!!

radiationroom
June 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Great environmental news from the glow-in-the-dark abyss along the river in south central Redneckland.

I have hundreds, maybe thousands of little tree frogs hopping all over my yard. These are small frogs, about the size of my thumbnail. What makes this such great news is that the tree frogs (the exact species name I'm not sure of) are an endangered species and are crucial to the local food chain. They (the poor little things - I'd hate to be at their position on the food chain) are a primary food source for black snakes as well as some birds.

I hope this indicates a lower pollution level in the river. Maybe the Chesapeake Bay cleanup efforts are starting to pay off. ??? :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

nobby
June 16th, 2011, 01:46 PM
How many eyes?

Starfucker
June 16th, 2011, 02:10 PM
:lol:

that's exactly what I was going to ask.

radiationroom
June 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
How many eyes?

Two eyes. We are talking about Susquehanna River frogs here, not those four-eyed mutant New York State Hudson River frogs! :Razz:

Remember, while we may have TMI here YOU HAVE INDIAN POINT!!! I'll take TMI any day, any time!

NathanRocks88
June 17th, 2011, 09:44 AM
The only reason that I as a young, clueless, spoiled american brat find this news exciting is because my father is a marine biologist, my aunt is an entomologist, and my cousin is an ornithologist.

Somehow, I would up being the obscured artist type in the family.

dwoz
June 17th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Nathan...

"obscured artist"...perfect. works on every level.

also, I will say that we here in the Northeast USA are seeing a resurgence in the bee population. Not a recovery, per se, but the pollinators are thicker on the thistle than they've been for the last 4 years.

I've recently read some absolutely startling things,( holding out judgement at the moment) That seems to implicate ROUND-UP, the Monsanto weed killer, in the great bee die-off of the last 8 years.

The preliminary research seemed to indicate that the bees become disoriented and just fly away, like an Apis Mellifera acid trip, losing their way home. The hive would then just die off from attrition of numbers. The evidence seems to not contradict this either, as most bees found dead in the hive don't have terribly obvious pathologies.

Again, I think the research is preliminary, but it makes sense. We introduce GM crops (roundup-ready corn) which solves the weed problem but whacks the pollinators in the process.

DPower
June 17th, 2011, 04:51 PM
The only reason that I as a young, clueless, spoiled american brat find this news exciting is because my father is a marine biologist, my aunt is an entomologist, and my cousin is an ornithologist.

Somehow, I would up being the obscured artist type in the family.

Tell me about it. My entire family is in medicine. Doctors and nurses.

I should have been a plastic surgeon. Up to my ears in tits and ass...

Oh, wait... ;)

radiationroom
June 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM
also, I will say that we here in the Northeast USA are seeing a resurgence in the bee population.

Hala-fucking-lu-ya!!! That is awesome news. Without pollinating bees the United States could potentially loose one-third of it's domestic crops.

That seems to implicate ROUND-UP, the Monsanto weed killer,
We introduce GM crops (roundup-ready corn)

It's not so much the Round-Up that I'm worried about but all of the "Round-Up Ready" GM crap entering the food supply. Monsanto's corn has been implicated in the rise in cancer of the kidneys and adrenals of farm laborers in the Philippines where it was studied. Right now there is no USA study that I know of but I'm willing to bet such a study would return similar results. The thing that makes the GM corn so scary is that it winds up in just about everything in the form of HFCS and the various other food additives which use corn as a feedstock.

To add insult to cancer-case (injury) is that plants of different species routinely interchange genes via pollen. Hence, the Round-Up gene has cross-pollinated into other species of corn creating a nightmare for organic farmers in keeping their corn crop certified organic and GM-free. The problem of cross-pollination is not limited to corn and extends to just about any other plant type where a GM variety has been introduced to the world outside of Monsanto's labs.

otek
June 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I have hundreds, maybe thousands of little tree frogs hopping all over my yard.

http://www.qldfrogs.asn.au/_dbase_upl/goliatha.jpg

Goes211
June 17th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I remember a trip to the island of Dominica, and being served
mountain chicken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptodactylus_fallax) for dinner, which was truly succulent.
It appears it's now an endangered species.

NathanRocks88
June 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Remember the days when agricultural science involved developing better irrigation systems, rethinking the crop rotations, and sacrificing lambs to the gods of harvest?

Genetically Modified foods are among mans most fucked up inventions. Next to the A-bomb and Chlorine Gas IMHO.

If that wasn't going far enough, over in some third world country where megacorp x bought a gazillion acres of land for a thousand smackaroos.
They've planted these monsters.
Right next to plain ole farmer joe's family farm.
Nature has it's way and cross pollenates megacorn with joes corn and then some suit from the office sends a lab tech down to test JOES corn. Lab results show that joe's harvest has DNA structure like megacorns and fucks up Joe's life by arresting him for theft, court dates, settling out of court and measly buyouts that still leave joes family FUCKING STARVING

but I digress. goddamn bureaucrats :otek:

anyway yeah. bee's rule :beer:

dwoz
June 17th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Nature has it's way and cross pollenates megacorn with joes corn and then some suit from the office sends a lab tech down to test JOES corn. Lab results show that joe's harvest has DNA structure like megacorns and fucks up Joe's life by arresting him for theft, ...

maybe that's why they're killing off the bees? So they don't have to worry about cross-pollenation?

In some areas they're sending workers out into the fields with feather dusters, to go from flower to flower.

What is crazy is that when Monsanto and others bring these lawsuits against farmers...and it isn't happening in bumfuckistan, it's happening in Montana, Iowa, Indiana, Ontario, New Brunswick, Cook County, etc., is that MONSANTO IS WINNING THE CASES.

They don't exactly "win" but they tie up the farmer's crop and money with court injunctions so that the farmer either capitulates or loses his farm. The bank holding the mortgage will have the farm sold long before the court case finishes.

To me, it's like arguing that because your prize dog got loose from it's compound, climbed my fence and impregnated my prize dog, you own the puppies.

It's beyond silliness. But that doesn't matter, because of the way farms are run financially. They can't survive a 2 year "hold" on their cash.

NathanRocks88
June 17th, 2011, 10:54 PM
and it isn't happening in bumfuckistan, it's happening in Montana, Iowa, Indiana, Ontario, New Brunswick, Cook County, etc.

...MONSANTO IS WINNING THE CASES.

To me, it's like arguing that because your prize dog got loose from it's compound, climbed my fence and impregnated my prize dog, you own the puppies.

The next judge that is willing to confuse PATENT LAW with BIOLOGY needs to be removed from the bar and given a long, hard, and abrasive speech from slipperman.

God the fucking idiots that uphold the law.