PDA

View Full Version : Blinded by the Light

overeasy
June 19th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Sad that death seems to trigger things like this, buuuuttt I'm listening to a bit more Springsteen today than I would on any other day.

Got me wondering, idly: has the E-Street Band ever played "BBTL" live ala Manfred Mann? The ESB / had the instrumental and vocal firepower to do the job.

I like both versions. Just an idle curiosity....

Aardvark
June 20th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Yes.

Something of a staple early on when "Spirits", "Rosie", "Growin' Up" and "I came for you" were all expected at a show.

BBTL is nice to catch live but the '78 (Ooooops... Wrong... '77) tour with the Manhattan horns featured the best ever version "The Fever"... which, of course, Southside did a fine version of.

Cheers,
TrampVark

Johnny
June 20th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Great, I've got MMEB's version wrapped up like a douche in my head now.

overeasy
June 20th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Thank you much, Aardy. That should focus my YouTubing...

Johnny, schorry about that. Mann's version does need to be de-eschhed. :)

Barish
June 20th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Yes.

Something of a staple early on when "Spirits", "Rosie", "Growin' Up" and "I came for you" were all expected at a show.

BBTL is nice to catch live but the '78 tour with the Manhattan horns featured the best ever version "The Fever"... which, of course, Southside did a fine version of.

Cheers,
TrampVark

Yes?

As far as I know, Boss has always despised Manfred Mann's version, but I might be wrong.

I like MM version better, by the way.

B.

Aardvark
June 20th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Yes?

As far as I know, Boss has always despised Manfred Mann's version, but I might be wrong.

I like MM version better, by the way.

I was saying that Bruce played BBTL live way back... no regard to his opinion of the MM version which is quite inventive as is the MM version of "Spirits".

While we are here, the MM version of "You Angel You" is another fine interpretation by the best cover band of their time... I say that with great respect.:Thumbsup:

Cheers,
Aardvark

weedywet
June 22nd, 2011, 03:14 AM
But Manfred managed to really bugger For You

You cannot leave off half of that chorus lyric and still have a song left