PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater - On The Backs Of Angels

gonzo-x
June 29th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Dream Theater - On The Backs Of Angels

http://www.youtube.com/roadrunnerrecords#p/u/0/oasnbzEMV08

Dream Theater returns with their first single "On The Backs of Angels" with new drummer Mike Mangini.

reminds me quite a bit of 'Peruvian Skies'

drumming is mike-mangini-good

Johnny
June 30th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Though for me there's a little too much math rock making it seem clever-for-clever's-sake, WOW. Listen how well played everything is. The real deal.

I'll be buying it not only for my Mangini fandom but also because those guys made me like them so much in that documentary.

Drumwaiter
June 30th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Though for me there's a little too much math rock making it seem clever-for-clever's-sake, WOW. Listen how well played everything is. The real deal.

I'll be buying it not only for my Mangini fandom but also because those guys made me like them so much in that documentary.
I totally agree.

I was a huge fan in their earlier days but with all the hype about this drummer business, it makes it hard to focus on the music for the sake of the music. In a way, I really enjoyed watching the auditions but I find that now I can't seperate the auditions from the music.

Anyone else finding that?

meLoCo_go
June 30th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I heard Andy Wallace is mixing a record. Is this correct?

Waltz Mastering
June 30th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I heard Andy Wallace is mixing a record. Is this correct?
Judging from the sound of that mix, I would say no...Just a guess. Drums seem pushed back a bit and it doesn't seem to have the impact of a Wallace mix.

gonzo-x
June 30th, 2011, 04:39 PM
this IS andy wallace mixing.

of course, the band has a LOT of say so, in the way they want to sound.

and this being a teaser mix, is probably not the final product.

Waltz Mastering
June 30th, 2011, 05:03 PM
this IS andy wallace mixing.

of course, the band has a LOT of say so, in the way they want to sound.

and this being a teaser mix, is probably not the final product.
You're right..maybe still a work in progress...

CloseToTheEdge
June 30th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hey, I'm a fan. Can't wait to hear the album.

NathanRocks88
July 2nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Judging from the sound of that mix, I would say no...Just a guess. Drums seem pushed back a bit and it doesn't seem to have the impact of a Wallace mix.

DT without an obscenely loud kick drum just ain't DT!!!

Flipper
July 8th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Agreed.

And while I certainly wouldn't know, I find it hard believe that the likes of AW would allow a "rough" to be put out on anything public.

I'm not pissing on the this mix at all, it just seems "un" AW.

PRobb
July 8th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Not my cup of tea, a bit clinical.
But extremely well done.