PDA

View Full Version : Cool Pete Townshend interview

otek
July 1st, 2011, 01:34 AM
Pete Townshend interviewed by Murray Lerner, who directed the 1970 film Listening to You: The Who at the Isle of Wight.

Some revelations here, as well as thought-provoking parallels to the current music industry debates.

2Gqwyb9sFqo

There are five parts, I'm linking the first.

otek

J.G.
July 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM
Lovin' it, thanks, O.

Pete's a pleasure.

: J

Tim Halligan
July 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
He's a very eloquent and engaging speaker.

I enjoyed that.

Thanks Ola.

Cheers,
Tim

PRobb
July 1st, 2011, 05:35 PM
Wow.
All I know is the Who in their prime might have been the greatest live band EVER!!!!
Nobody tore the roof off the joint like The Who.

weedywet
July 1st, 2011, 10:17 PM
He's really into this 'I would have been better off not in The Who' recently. Which I personally think is a lot easier to think AFTER your band has been mega successful.

But he is always interesting at the very least.

moaus
July 11th, 2011, 07:39 AM
He's really into this 'I would have been better off not in The Who' recently. Which I personally think is a lot easier to think AFTER your band has been mega successful.

But he is always interesting at the very least.

I love Pete, i think his sound in Baba O Reilly is one of the best distorted guitar sounds i have ever heard, I think he is a genius....

but i HATE the way he carries on in interviews, it's like he'll only give kudos to his band mates and the work they did once said band mate is dead.

bobzilla77
July 11th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I love Pete, i think his sound in Baba O Reilly is one of the best distorted guitar sounds i have ever heard, I think he is a genius....

but i HATE the way he carries on in interviews, it's like he'll only give kudos to his band mates and the work they did once said band mate is dead.

He goes back & forth. He's spoken very lovingly of Keith Moon and praised his contribution, then turned around and said "my preference would have been to have Kenney Jones back in 1964." In the 90s he was on a tear against Daltrey and his ever-present chest.

As of right now, John Entiwistle is "the best musician he's ever played with" but give it a few years and he'll say he wishes he had Pino Palladino with him in the old days too, because it makes things "easier."

He's a contradictory bugger but I enjoy hearing his thoughts. You sense they're very minimally self-edited.

nobby
July 11th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Pete doth protest too much, methinks.

I reckon nobody would be interviewing him if not for the Who.

Instead of "Pete Townsend of the Who", it would be "Pete who?"

eagan
July 11th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Viewing from a distance, I can understand how Townshend can seem to be kind of self contradictory.

I mean, besides obviously being a fairly complex fellow himself, looking back over the history, I can easily understand looking at The Who as both the greatest, most amazing thing a musician could have had as the bulk of his career and the most unbelievably troublesome and irritating bunch of assholes possible making his life way more difficult and complicated than it might have been. Depending on his mood at the moment and what he's thinking about.

JLE

otek
July 12th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I think it's interesting to hear the stories of how radicals were trying to "liberate" his food, car, equipment, etc.

Not entirely dissimilar to the mindset of some people in the file sharing communities these days.

otek

Ein Mangfaldig Kar
July 13th, 2011, 12:45 AM
yeah, I got the heby jibies when I heard the whatyamightcallit saying that they would use the festival any way they saw fit. And if the musicians didn't like it they could just not play. They were there to "groove"

HOOK
July 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM
yeah, I got the heby jibies when I heard the whatyamightcallit saying that they would use the festival any way they saw fit. And if the musicians didn't like it they could just not play. They were there to "groove"

Hey, my wife´s from Heby (http://www.heby.se/index.php3?use=publisher&id=1801)!!! Watch it....:Mad:

:very happy:

It the law of the mob; we are legio and we can seriously fuck you up, so we are right.

...same with freetards.

HOOK

TubaSolo
July 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Definitely très cool interview. Thanks Otek.

He went through pure chaos, his partners were crazy, that life wasn't made for him, pure madness and insanity... but he had the mojo to match it all & keep channeling anything that happened, shape it into the exceptional, almost mythical track record we all know... and keep his band and sanity together.

The man deserves a break, contradictions and all. If, in the RnR chapter of the Big Music History book there was only room for, let's say, 20 people, he'd have to be one of them. :beer:

Normie
November 2nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
This is worth a listen only up for 2 days so listen soon or it will be gone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0167zf4

wont give too much away but if anyone knows of another $30m advance count me in :Coolio: