PDA

View Full Version : How to cover the Beatles right...

jerryskid
March 5th, 2007, 12:33 AM
No need to comment.....:grin:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9lknCpGbsJc

Droolbucket
March 5th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Very cool, JK. Everybody covers the easy Beatles stuff, but it's a rare treat to see someone do the psychodelic stuff and get it right.
I got chance to see a different Beatles tribute band quite a few years ago, and they had period-correct instruments and outfits. They did an outstanding job, and as I was looking around at the audience, probably a quarter of them had tears in their eyes or streaming down their cheeks. They had been transported to a magical period in their lives, and the emotions were pretty intense.
The band talked to the crowd afterwards, had pictures taken, and did a question-and-answer period. They never ever stepped out of character, and knew EVERYTHING about the Beatles. Very impressive. The road manager showed me how he had stripped the AC-30's of every non-essential component to save weight for airline purposes.
For the cynical and disillusioned among you who no longer believe that music can change the world, I humbly submit the Beatles.
Jerryskid, THANK YOU for that clip.

Droolbucket

G. Hoffman
March 5th, 2007, 07:56 AM
So, step one is to have every player in the band be one of the best session players in the world, right?

Cool clip, though, no question.

Gabriel

PRobb
March 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
So, step one is to have every player in the band be one of the best session players in the world, right?

Damn straight. That stuff is deceptively difficult to get right. And the part most don't get right is the drums. Ringo gets slagged as a drummer, but even good cover bands don't quite get his feel.

ggunn
March 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Very cool, JK. Everybody covers the easy Beatles stuff, but it's a rare treat to see someone do the psychodelic stuff and get it right.
I got chance to see a different Beatles tribute band quite a few years ago, and they had period-correct instruments and outfits. They did an outstanding job, and as I was looking around at the audience, probably a quarter of them had tears in their eyes or streaming down their cheeks. They had been transported to a magical period in their lives, and the emotions were pretty intense.
The band talked to the crowd afterwards, had pictures taken, and did a question-and-answer period. They never ever stepped out of character, and knew EVERYTHING about the Beatles. Very impressive. The road manager showed me how he had stripped the AC-30's of every non-essential component to save weight for airline purposes.

Was that the Eggmen from right here in Austin, TX, by any chance? Your description fits them to a T. They also do a variety set of 60's material (Buffalo Springfield, Strawberry Alarm Clock, early Stones, etc.) that is very spot on, but they only play that set when they have extra time to fill. Their first set is early Beatles, which they play in black suits, and the second is from Sgt. Peppers and beyond, for which they dress in full psychdelia. They are incredible!

DigitMus
March 6th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Interestingly enough I'm recording a Beatles "tribute" band at present. Not the usual 'clone' type - they're a 3 piece acoustic (2 guitars & percussion). They've been together a few years now and command kilobucks for a performance. (Curiously, only 1 of them is a professional musician.) If they'll allow it, I'll post a couple of clips where y'all can find 'em...

S.G.

magicchord
March 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Fab guitars of the Beatles:

http://www.thecanteen.com/fabguitars.html

PRobb
March 8th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Fab guitars of the Beatles:

http://www.thecanteen.com/fabguitars.html

Fab indeed!

chrisj
March 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I had never imagined it possible to imitate Ringo and John at the same time :D

Awesome.

studjo
March 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
what a wonderful cover band - really great stuff. Who are the players? I only know the bass player - but all other guys are equally amazing.

Thanks for this clip

Jo

(now back to watching all other Fab Faux clips on youtube)