PDA

View Full Version : Studios in Calgary, ~$350/day?

Brendo
March 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Hi everyone...

Helping a friend find a studio for about $350CAD a day... she's at the moment prepared to drive to Airdrie to record at Monster Music but if there's something closer to home she'll consider that.

I know we've got a strong Canuck contingent here, so I'm hoping at least one of you knows someone who knows someone, or something.

Thanks!

Aardvark
March 7th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Hi everyone...

Helping a friend find a studio for about $350CAD a day... she's at the moment prepared to drive to Airdrie to record at Monster Music but if there's something closer to home she'll consider that.

I know we've got a strong Canuck contingent here, so I'm hoping at least one of you knows someone who knows someone, or something.

Thanks!

$350/day with or without engineer?

How many days?

What is she doing...tracking? Mixing? Scoring a feature film?

She will drive to Airdrie (how sad...hehehe) is she south of Calgary, in Cowtown or North? What about Deadmonton?

Details please.

:Roll eyes: :Wink:

Brendo
March 7th, 2007, 01:23 AM
$350/day with or without engineer?She'll need with - I'd do it myself, but, y'know...

How many days? What is she doing...tracking? Mixing? Scoring a feature film?
Tracking 6 or 7 songs... singer/songwriter. Just vocal/guitar. Wouldn't need more than a day or two. She's currently looking at a $350, 10 hr day with $35 additional hours. Monster Music, if you know it.

Here, her myspace with two songs, "All that's left" is newer and will be one she'll record, and you can blame me for the mix on that one: http://myspace.com/sheilalacey

Worst case, she sends a DVD and I mix the tracks myself.

She will drive to Airdrie (how sad...hehehe) is she south of Calgary, in Cowtown or North? What about Deadmonton?She is in SW Calgary - Strathcona. She's willing to go to Edmonton if needed but Airdrie is a lot closer.

Aardvark
March 7th, 2007, 02:45 AM
She needs a nice little place that does folk well...gotta be something near there. My experience in Calgary has been geared towards mix/post facilities so I am unsure who to suggest.

I will knock this around a few buds.

Cheers,
Aardvark

E. Shaun
March 7th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Yeah, from what I understand, Calgary has shit for studios. She should come out to Vancouver...way too many world class studios here for the amount of home grown talent. I could probably get her $350 - $400 per day with engineer in a decent - excellent studio.

Brendo
March 7th, 2007, 09:06 AM
The main problem here is that she would have to get someone else to drive her, as I believe she hasn't got a permit yet. So Vancouver is probably out of the question, unfortunately.

Nigelforsythe
March 7th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Echo Base! My old band recorded there with a guy named Casey Lewis.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=7968620

Last I heard, he's a pretty busy guy. But offers good rates and a great final product!

Brendo
March 7th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Great, well I've passed on the link to this thread to her, so I'm sure she'll see that soon enough, otherwise i'll point her towards it. Any more?

dnafe
March 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Give Dave a call at EK sound. If he can't do it he can certainly find someone who can.

They're presently running PTHD / Nuendo & Paris

Don

J.G.
March 8th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I know a guy who does recording work and playing for Jann Arden, I just sent him a message and I'll pop back in here with the news...

: J

mwalker_mw
March 10th, 2007, 12:05 AM
She may want to look at the Roze centre on the University of Calgary campus. Not sure about rates but the room sounds absolutely amazing (it is a concert hall with the control room setup on SL).

http://www.finearts.ucalgary.ca/theatres/studio/index.html

J.G.
March 10th, 2007, 12:15 AM
No news yet--but I believe that Jann mixed her last album in Vancouver, so perhaps not much news will be forthcoming.

J.

Lorin
March 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Give Dave a call at EK sound. [...] They're presently running PTHD / Nuendo & Paris

HD with engineer for $35/hour? Man, I'm glad I'm not paddling around in THAT pool...

Brendo
March 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Ok... she may be able to stay in Ontario for a little while to record... any suggestions in that direction?

E. Shaun
March 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Ok... she may be able to stay in Ontario for a little while to record... any suggestions in that direction?

I hear Clicktrack Audio is pretty good. :Wink:

jfee
March 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Where in Ontario is she? TO?

Brendo
March 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM
i'm not sure. she moved from there to calgary a couple years back. i'd have to ask.

Brendo
March 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM
"Hamilton - so the GTA", says she.

its looking unlikely though because of plane fare

J.G.
March 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM
No word back as of yet from my guy in the City o' Cows...