PDA

View Full Version : Makin' them Behringer thingies

magicchord
March 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Recently AudioTechnology's (Australia) Chris Holder visited Behringer's Chinese factory in Zhong-Shan:

Part One (http://www.youtube.com/v/NqUGLUJF7y4)
Part Two (http://www.youtube.com/v/3LKnQl8gbkQ)

Pretty objective report, I thought.

Goes211
March 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Very interesting.
Actually, this kinda makes me feel Behringer is to this generation what Roland was to the mid 80's.
Of course, Roland has this 'cool' legacy of great gear we all love.
But I remember being at one Frankfurtmesse convention (the euro equivalent of NAMM) and hearing Ikutaro Kakehashi give a sales speech which went along the lines of "if you live in a city with 100.000 inhabitants, and 1% of these are music makers of some sort who buy our products, it means you still have a potential market of 99.000 customers."
I was lucky to spend some time with the Roland "big fromage", and he too had charisma. But basically, these guys have gotten so big that there's no way it could ever be about something else than 'pushing boxes out of the door'.

Thanks Magicchord :Coolio:

mousdrvr
March 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Magic Where do you find all this stuff?

That was VERY cool!

-mous

crunch
March 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Wow.

:icon_eek:

Not nearly as brutal as I had imagined it. Hardly any 6 year old sex slaves at all. The Peavey analogy was dead on. Behringer has a few products that don't suck at all, and are priced unbelievably low, but on that note, we have also inherited a few pieces that are the noisiest things imaginable, and frankly useless, unless you like the pretty lights or need to fill a hole in your rack.

That having been said, if I was 16 again, I'd be mighty pleased to mess around with some of their stuff, and ultimately, it would lead me to looking at better gear, the same as Peavey or roland did in the 80's.

Is it a pultec or api? No.

No, no, no, no, no.

(not that I own anything by pultec or api)

See, I believe that the only way to learn is to get in there and twist some knobs, make a few mistakes and make something happen. Whatever comes out of the speakers wins. No offense to the audio schools, but that avenue just isn't realistic for 99% of the people interested in audio. 'ringer fills a need, and I am more comfortable with kids twisting a knob than pointing and clicking, although it's likely they'll do both.

Wow, I used the Behringer, Peavey and Realistic names all in one post.

Mixerman, Slippy...

please don't hurt me. I have a family.

:lol:

CurtZHP
March 9th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I had a behringer four channel compressor once. I bought it because it was cheap, and I had it in my head that I needed four channels of compression, rank amateur that I was at the time.

It got the job done. At the time, I couldn't say whether it sucked or not. At the time, it was probably the nicest piece of gear I had. I don't even remember what happened to it. I think I sold it.

What really turned me off to their stuff was the whole blatant rip-off factor. I refer to their reverse engineering of others' designs, such as Aphex and Mackie (in which case they didn't even seem to try to hide the fact that their Eurodesk was a button for button copy of the Mackie 8-buss).

Then there was their famous tube preamp. We've all seen the plethora of cheap tube preamps, all of which use a "starved-plate" design, most of which sound like crap. But these guys went so far as to put tubes in the box that weren't actually hooked up to anything! Then they put a yellow LED behind them, with a little window in the faceplate, so you could see the "glow" of the tubes. At least the other guys actually had the tube connected to their crummy circuits!

Oberlehrer
March 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Well, being from Germany I certaily am somewhat used to Behringer gear; it's almost ubiquitous over here.

The ripoff factor is something that puts me off but other people might think otherwise. What's worse is that it very often comes across as an inferior ripoff. It's a copy, but it's noisier than the original, or it doesn't work as reliable and so on.
It appears to me that in an attempt to cut corners some quality goes out the window. The notorious power supply problems of the early Eurodesks are a prime example.

Ironically not all of the Behringer gear is a real "super bargain"; when I recently was asked to get some USB keyboards for a school I found the M-Audio offerings to be significantly cheaper...

Tim Armstrong
March 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/tarmadilo/euroass.jpg

Cheers, Tim

David Aurora
March 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/tarmadilo/euroass.jpg

Cheers, Tim

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

ill have to check the links out later, listening to a cd at the moment. didnt realise there was a vid, i remember reading an interview with the bear-ringer ceo in audiotech recently though.

ahhh behringer. look, ill confess to owning a few things bought in moments of sheer poverty. does the shit work? no, not really. does it get you out of a shit sandwich momentarily? sorta. if it turns on at least.

still beats digidesign i guess

David Aurora
March 11th, 2007, 04:44 AM
hey i was just flicking through the last audio technology mag over breakfast, did you see that bit about behringers entire aussie shipment getting turned to ash and smoke???!!! fuck i should have brought the mag in and copied the section