PDA

View Full Version : Brad Delp, RIP

idylldon
March 10th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Brad Delp of Boston died Friday at 55 years old.

RIP, Brad, and thanks for some amazing vocals.

--
Don

otek
March 10th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Damn.

That's sad news.

He was a phenomenal singer.

RIP

blackieC
March 10th, 2007, 05:06 AM
I have often been known to rag in public about the weakness of Boston's later work, but that shit is all on Tom.

Brad never had a weak moment that I heard.

Stunning voice, unfathomable loss.

Godspeed, Mr. Delp.

Mixerpuppet
March 10th, 2007, 05:12 AM
RIP

His singing was one of my favorites..

He will be Missed greatly

drummertom
March 10th, 2007, 05:13 AM
wow....so young. Saw him sing with his Beatles cover band a few years ago, amazing pipes.

Johnny
March 10th, 2007, 05:16 AM
:Cry:

jerryskid
March 10th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Damn

soundtrack of my youth.............

Damn..............

burak
March 10th, 2007, 05:55 AM
He was an exceptional vocalist.
He always kept it emotional, even in the high register, he wasn't like the 80s screamers, he was a true singer.
RIP

jerryskid
March 10th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I have often been known to rag in public about the weakness of Boston's later work, but that shit is all on Tom.

Brad never had a weak moment that I heard.

Stunning voice, unfathomable loss.

Godspeed, Mr. Delp.

He said it.........

DAMN.........

nomad
March 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM
In 1976, when Boston's first album came out, I was 6 years old.

In 1977 I checked the album out of the local public library...you could do that back then.

I never returned it. We moved, and I just kept it. And my parents nearly KILLED me.

NOT because I 'acquired' the record illicitly, but because I played it EVERY FUCKING DAY for the next YEAR.

Really, REALLY LOUD. I was 7 friggin' years old.

After the test of time...

I don't care what the hell you think of the group or of Tom Scholz...Brad Delp was one of the greatest voices and one of the greatest singers in the history of recorded popular music.

RIP Brad, and thank you.

magicchord
March 10th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Respect...

That does it: I must dig out my turntable and my old Boston albums.

seagate
March 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM
RIP Brad...

What a loss.

Fulcrum
March 12th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Boston was never one of my favorite bands, and Delp was not one of my favorite vocalists... but there was no denying his talent and his skills.

55 is too fucking young. Much too fucking young.

fizbin
March 12th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I went over to a friend's house tonight. We listened to More Than a Feeling(for the some-thousandth time) on vinyl. I had a real moment again. Wet eyes.

Jay

jerryskid
March 12th, 2007, 05:13 AM
In 1976 I turned 16 and everything was right with the world..I had just gotten my first car..(71 Cutlass Supreme) and was starting to jam around with a few friends. If I remember correctly, Boston's 1st album was issued in our highschool yearbook, along with Framton Comes Alive, or it sure seemed that way. I remember practicing "More Than a Feeling" over and over again getting every nuance of the guitar parts. The band had it down...but alas, we always butchered it due to the vocals...and not just us...NO ONE could....Brad Delp ruined covering Boston....But all I can say is thanks, Brad you vocals played in the background of alot of memories that summer. Alot of firsts and alot of thrills.....

So it goes...........:Cry:

QweziRider
March 15th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I went over to a friend's house tonight. We listened to More Than a Feeling(for the some-thousandth time) on vinyl. I had a real moment again. Wet eyes.

Jay
Did the same with "Hollyann" tonight driving around town. And now that it's been ruled suicide it's even a bigger waste.

blackieC
March 15th, 2007, 07:03 AM
A fucking suicide?

Now this shit is hitting a little too close to home.

RIP, Brad.

RIP, Allan.

Ya fucking prick.

(stupid addendum deleted in an unlikely, for me anyway, swing in the direction of brevity and propriety.)

mousdrvr
March 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM
A fucking suicide?

I had the same reaction. "Fuck Dude, wished y'd had my number. I could have told you some shit that might make you feel better about yourself"

Still man, if the cat was seriously depressed, that's a tough row to hoe.

Respect Brad you were one of kind.

blackieC
March 15th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Fuck decorum and propriety.

This is the story, with all due respect to Brad Delp.

Allan had my number, and called it after we, as a band, had ellected to kick him out. He was a fine bassist, and had mad harmony vocal skills. The fact of the matter was that he had let his demons take control of him to the extent that he sold my amp to buy more coke. He called me, many miles away at my parents vacation home in Arizona, to ask me if I knew what was up with his being kicked out of the band. I played stupid and said that I had no idea. I of course knew at the time that he had sold my amp and that he was in a wicked downward spiral, but still I said nothing.

The next day I got a call from our lead singer telling me that Allan had killed himself. I flew back to Oklahoma and broke down in weeping fits in front of his mother and little sister. I still regret that I didn't tell them the whole truth, but then again, sometimes the truth is best kept to yourself. His mother had to walk into the garage to find her son behind the wheel of his truck with the engine running. There is nothing I could have said in a reasonable world to console her, yet it was she who came to me when I was sobbing like a little girl and wrapped her arms around me at the table I had shared many dinners at and told my that everything was okay.

It wasn't okay.

It will never be okay.

mousdrvr
March 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Fuck decorum and propriety.

This is the story, with all due respect to Brad Delp.

Allan had my number, and called it after we, as a band, had ellected to kick him out. He was a fine bassist, and had mad harmony vocal skills. The fact of the matter was that he had let his demons take control of him to the extent that he sold my amp to buy more coke. He called me, many miles away at my parents vacation home in Arizona, to ask me if I knew what was up with his being kicked out of the band. I played stupid and said that I had no idea. I of course knew at the time that he had sold my amp and that he was in a wicked downward spiral, but still I said nothing.

The next day I got a call from our lead singer telling me that Allan had killed himself. I flew back to Oklahoma and broke down in weeping fits in front of his mother and little sister. I still regret that I didn't tell them the whole truth, but then again, sometimes the truth is best kept to yourself. His mother had to walk into the garage to find her son behind the wheel of his truck with the engine running. There is nothing I could have said in a reasonable world to console her, yet it was she who came to me when I was sobbing like a little girl and wrapped her arms around me at the table I had shared many dinners at and told my that everything was okay.

It wasn't okay.

It will never be okay.

Blackie, Dude this may be totaly hallow and inadequate, but there was nothing you could have done. Only someone who had been where your friend was and come out the other side could have helped and even then they could only have been there, if your friend had reached out. Please believe me. I've been there bro, right there, I know it will never be right but you didn't fuck up. Really you didn't.

-mous

jerryskid
March 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Blackie, dude

The worst thing you can do is think "Why didn't I know?"...You're not psychic....and in no way are you the blame..
That's the shitty thing about suicide, the person who commits it thinks that will end his problems...but they're just passed on to the family and friends that love him......My wife's oldest brother (who she idolized) commited suicide when she was just 13...it almost wrecked her and she was a basket case when I met her.
She used to break down in my arms crying after a few drinks blaming herself for her brothers death...She finally got through it and was able to deal with grief for the last 6 years of her life. But now I think that the cruelest thing you can do to a person you love, is commit suicide....

sorry got on a rant there........

J.G.
March 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Wow, crazy news.

I have so many warm memories, singin' along to those great tunes in my basement as a teen, PA cranked, me blending and learning and enjoyyyyyyyyyyying...

RIP Mr. Delp.

FajitaTone
March 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM
He closed his eyes and he slipped away...

RIP Brad.

:Cry:

Scrubby
March 19th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Well shocked and I'm devastated by the loss of the singer from my favorite band (Beatlejuice not Boston), and a VERY fine human being.

Conflicted, trying like hell not to be angry at Brad, and just not burst into tears in public this past weekend. Instead I've just gone numb.

But on the other side, I guess it was his choice.