PDA

View Full Version : Science Experiment: what am I doing?

chrisj
March 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I got a sort of science experiment going on here. I'm wanting to know if the science experiment is doing what I think it is doing. It's _supposed_ to be doing a thing you might have heard of in the Slipperman missives- not necessarily the narratives, the missives, the text stuff.

This is a sound picture of a speaker cabinet, a loop of guitar stupidity, and a microphone. What SPECIFICALLY am I doing in this situation?

(a) moving the mic around
(b) changing the compression on the mic
(c) setting levels on the mic pre
(d) setting levels on the power amp to the cab
(e) setting levels on the preamp gain
(f) changing the EQ around on the amp
(g) changing the EQ around on the mic pre
(h) setting up my POD PRO :D :D :D

If I'm getting anywhere with this the answer should be as obvious as a boot to the head, but I'm biased because I know what I'm trying to make it do. What do YOU think I'm doing?

(any 'pimping your crap, you ho' answers, please fuck off- I'm serious about this, I'm trying to do something that has not been done before. Be fair, cut me some slack here)

volthause
March 11th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Sounds like you made a hammer out of detached POD users dicks and starting beating the crap out of a clown.

chrisj
March 11th, 2007, 12:37 AM
A big hand for the lucky winner! :lol:

lebouche
March 11th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Why didnt you do a poll?? I'll go for A) listening on my macbook speakers though.

E. Shaun
March 11th, 2007, 01:02 AM
C.

magicchord
March 11th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Making square waves, basically.

chrisj
March 11th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Hm. It looks like I'm not doing this as well as I'd hoped- there's a particular effect I'm trying to create, and it hasn't struck anybody as creating that effect, yet.

I think my question is answered, but before I let the thread drop into the well of dashed hopes and lamentations, here's another little audio clip. The guitar sounds first one way, then another. If anyone feels like challenging themselves with retarded quizzes some more, what changes between the guitar clips? The answer letter is the same as the intended answer for the first retarded quizathon.

(a) type of mic
(b) type of compressor
(c) type of mic pre
(d) type of speaker cabinet
(e) type of EQ
(f) type of mic cable
(g) type of dick-beaten clown

(I'm gonna get lynched. By clowns.)

Thumper
March 11th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Well, if I have to be serious about it... I'm going to say G.

chrisj
March 11th, 2007, 03:10 AM
All righty then, lynched by bunnies. Fluffier, and the paint doesn't smear all over you :)

David Aurora
March 11th, 2007, 03:58 AM
(i listened to the 2nd clip first so thats what im focusing on here. the first clip actually sounded more to me like swinging a mic which is wierd seeing as theyre supposed to be the same effect. maybe if it hadnt morphed though and had just switched i would hear the same effect as i did in clip two)

to my ears it seems obvious- cabinet. but, judging by the horrendous tone that starts the clip which sounds like a direct guitar which becomes a tone reminiscent of a proper tone, id say this is a speaker sim plugin. whatever it is, thats a hell of a turd polisher.

did i win the pony?

jeez, wouldnt i feel like a cunt if you were plugging the first tone though :lol:

DaveC
March 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
clip 1 was hard to tell because the volume changed so much. The first part sounded like the mic was in another room, but the later changes it sounded like the quality of distortion was changing, and in a cab/power amp saturation kinda way. Were you simulating someone slashing the speaker cones with knives? Out of the choice I tended to go for d

Clip2 part 1 sounded like a DI, part 2 sounded like it was going through a cab which was not mic'd up very well, so again I go for d

lebouche
March 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Ok so what the fuck are you doing?? When will the exciting answer be revealed?

chrisj
March 11th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Ekko (David Aurora) and DaveC are the winners! It's a speaker simulation that incorporates cone breakup (like, 'Sam Kinison breakup' cone breakup)

The guitar tone beginning clip 2 is not actually my fault, it is Marshall 9001 rack pre directly into the ADC, which is apparently pretty turdalicious :D

Thank you, everybody who got roped into this foolishness :)

jerryskid
March 11th, 2007, 11:14 PM
But what about the clown????:Confused:

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Oh, fuck the clown :D

http://shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg.shop.com/230000/230100/230161/products/34210657.jpg

Thumper
March 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I might just do that.....

Brendo
March 12th, 2007, 01:45 AM
chris, the problem is your cab simulation sounds awful to begin with, so when your "cones"... "break up"... you're getting an awful representation of a decent enough idea.

eagan
March 12th, 2007, 02:20 AM
A glimpse into the engineering offices at Clownfucker Widgets Inc......

dude 1: "so, how you coming on the speaker simulation stuff?"

dude 2: "been working on it, but I've got some problems driving me nuts"

dude 1: "what?"

dude 2: "well, it's kind of coming along, but I keep getting this horrid sounding crap with all this glitchy crackly garbage and sort of random digital artifacts"

dude 1: "hmmm....... hey! by god, I've got it! just leave it, and we'll call it our 'speaker cone breakup modeling' that none of the competition have!"

dude 2: "that's it! brilliant! thanks!"

JLE

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 02:20 AM
It's a convolution model from an impulse made by 'Pipeline' of noisevault, who's generously allowed me to do whatever I liked with it. Right now, I haven't got the setup to do tone sweeps and deconvolve a speaker impulse, nor do I have a 4*12" Marshall cab with greenbacks in it, which Pipeline did, hence the impulse.

That plug was originally (for now, still is) pretty darn cheap because there wasn't much to it but the convolution impulse. This is no longer the case, in the slightest, but what you're saying is that though the extra stuff I'm doing seems worthwhile, the fundamental convolution impulse is awful (your word, not mine- I actually like it).

If you can do so much better than Pipeline, whose generosity allowed me to undertake the project at all (and he's got other stuff I'm intending to dig into, such as sets of preamp impulses at 96K), will you donate to the cause some speaker impulses that put the ones I have to shame? I can pay- not on a royalty basis, one-time, but I can pay you to do this if you can leave Pipeline in the dust.

Or you can suck my bright red honker :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesus, you clowns are a tough crowd :D

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Actually, there might be a point here- I'm doing two things that seem to be getting the roar of the greasepaint ;)

-the nonlinearities are pretty weird on the Marshall cab when obscenely overdriven. The 'cones' are so unpistonic that extreme inputs can sometimes produce marginally less output than less extreme inputs. Otherwise it tended to sound like overexcursing titanium pistons or something.

-I'm making it bloody obvious. LOTS of breakup added to the convolution model, in the audio clips.

Is part of this simply a matter of 'turn the distortion the fuck down'? It's on a freaking slider, you know. Nobody is making you crank it up that much. I just wanted it to stop sounding like a POD and get more upfront and aggressive. Way too much? Because that's trivial, totally trivial. That would not be a problem. It's the first thing you'd reach for if it was you at the controls, apparently. That it?

Brendo
March 12th, 2007, 03:17 AM
I dunno, your "cleanly distorted" tone sounds distant and very boomy. Like there's no top end definition, or something. I'm talking about your second clip here.

Basically - I've never heard a 57 pick up anything like that from a Marshall cab.

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Yup, DaveC also thought so (in a PM where he was explaining what he meant by poorly miked), and I actually worked on that part- right now the most 'close-miked' setting (a control not available when I made the audio clips) is a lot more focussed. I didn't want focussed at first, when I think focussed I think DI dirt guitar and that of course is terrible. But having the option seems pretty important.

I'm thinking about putting in another detail where as the 'close-mikedness' increases, the hang-over really gets cut back. I'm going to do that on the assumption that it's hard to get things too focussed for emulation of REALLY close-miked stuff. There is no 'room', though: the longest reverberating noise is 36.1678 milliseconds, and the guitar is DI preamp. Anything that sounds or feels like mic-in-a-room is an illusion as 36 ms isn't really much- time enough for one wall bounce to return from a wall 20 feet away, time enough to get the floor bounce, but pretty confined.

All the actively saturated stuff is happening within 5.8 ms of the initial impulse. If I change the 36-ms-long stuff to dry it up when you go for a super 'close mic', things will get REAL focused real quick. It's possible that will help with you guys busy puking over the sound ;)

I'm still listening in hopes of an answer to "is the total amount of fake cone breakup wildly out of line and what you'd get if you plugged a greenback into, say, a Crown XTi2000 at 1600 watts bridged mono"...

If I can get the close-miked issue sorted, and if I can get some reality checkage on how overloaded greenbacks really can get before burning up, I can probably get another audio clip up that will seem a lot less silly to some of you guys. I won't necessarily like it as much- I want the ability to pull the mic back and get things a lot less tight- but that's what adjustable sliders are for.

Brendo
March 12th, 2007, 03:53 AM
focused does not mean fizzy...

it sounds distant because of the lack of top and the overabundance of bass - bass travels, remember.

psychoacoustics. fun fun.

got any clips of the "close miced" setting?

there was a promising moment in your first clip... i think your second setting.

i think before worrying about the cone breakup you need to get the base sound as good as possible maybe?

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 04:09 AM
The base sound is totally a function of the cone breakup- without that, it sounds like this:

http://www.airwindows.com/m/MarshallCab.mp3 (second part)

That's really flat- it's like EQ crossed with some ringing. That's the raw convolution impulse after processing. Without processing it's even more thin.

The bit in the first clip that you found promising, that would be still pretty 'distant miked' but with a 'wattage' level reading maybe 45w-50w. It swelled up from the very quiet level (18W) to that, then went to about 60W (which may well have already been too far) and then to 80 or so.

If the numbers are way off, it might be like: first clip started at "36W", went to "100W" and sounded OK, started to get unpleasant at "120W" and then attempted to show what greenbacks sound like at "160W".

Regardless, the whole difference between the quiet bit in that first clip, and the bit where it gets fuller without going wildly distorted, that's completely a factor of modeling cone breakup (or at least failure to move pistonically). I thought it was promising too. I'm still plugging away at it. Clownfucking is hard work! :lol:

eagan
March 12th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Well, hey, got to respect you working away at this. Good luck.

Of course, you know that tossing examples of the monster in progress is going to draw some pretty blunt critiques, especially given some of the sentiments found around here about "clownfucker" devices anyway. (And I should note that I do use this type of gizmo, too)

But on this recent turn of the subject....

I have to say that in terms of all the variations in sonic recipes people can use for guitar distortion, one of the last things I want to hear is speakers breaking up. You can overload things at different places along the way in a signal path chain of stuff, many people like a tube power amp driven to hammered levels the best. But as soon as I hear what's otherwise a good monster wailing distorted guitar sound and suddenly hear evidence of a speaker driven into "Splat" range I get really, really bugged. It just sounds BAD. To my ears it has all the charm and creamy guitar goodness of hearing the results of digital overs or something.

JLE

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Guys, don't worry about it- I'm snarking right back without getting all haughty and I know what I'm getting into. I _want_ tough customers, those are the guys I work my butt off for, ok? That way the appreciative guys are even happier and the clownfuckers are ecstatic ;)

I'm more or less convinced that I had around twice the distortion I should've had at those 'wattages' now- given the weird nonlinearities that was pretty scary. I kept the nonlinearities but pulled everything back- and I did come up with a way to get more of a closemiked sound. Before I crash tonight, I'm posting it. I could learn to like it- though I do seriously like the big fat off-miked thing with way too much wattage, just for how little it sounds like a POD.

I've given up on the 'woo science project' mystery bit for the moment, so: this is four loops of a guitar bit. First dry, then 'closemiked 50W', then 'distant mic 50W', then 'distant mic 100W' which is meant to be right at the point where the speakers are crapping out and about to blow. I'm going to guess 'closemiked 50W' sounds most like good to you guys- if not I'll hear about it in the morning after my tormented, unsettled sleep :D

Bear in mind 'close-distant' and '18-100W' are on continuous sliders- I have a pretty decent morph between these guys happening. The close-distant in particular, backing off just an inch or two starts to involve that more full, ambient thing I like, and I think that's a pretty good behavior to stick on a slider :)

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Also: eagan, I hear you with that, and you'd probably like the 'lower wattage' tones (might also like Tom Scholz's old Boston power-soak tones). The deal is, it's pretty easy to work that zone with modeling and convolution, but other guys- and obviously me too- like hammering the speaker. I'm trying to explore an area 'Slipperman' covers in some missives- talking about increasing the volume until the speaker involvement starts to happen, then the cabinet involvement starts to happen producing more of a bassy thrum, finding the optimal level to produce fullness from these things without blowing stuff up.

I have used loud guitar amps that did this, and remember it- the trick is to get that 'thicker' and then 'bassy thrum' business happening in a digital model- without resorting to EQ, just using the existing impulse response and different types of overload.

I think it'll be more plausible when I don't push it to beyond ridiculous :)

Brendo
March 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM
That's really flat- it's like EQ crossed with some ringing. That's the raw convolution impulse after processing. Without processing it's even more thin.

There, that raw convolution impulse has the same kinda weirdness that I'm talking about.

What does your speakerfuck effect sound like when applied to a properly miced electric guitar? Can you apply it separately from the convolution bit?

I'm going to guess 'closemiked 50W' sounds most like good to you guys- if not I'll hear about it in the morning after my tormented, unsettled sleep :D

Yep... but it still has that strange character to it.

I dunno, I'm hearing... comb filtering?! A real short delay? I used to get these sort of clownfucking tones with 1ms delays from my RP-6.

Not bad for clownfucking but I think you can do better! Isn't that sort of the point of the Airwindows plugs... better sounds at lower prices?

DaveC
March 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM
mic-ing... well, the close still doesn't sound like a 57 against a grill, it sounds a bit distant. More usable to me, but the distance aspect would limit its use for me. Distant sounds like it's recorded from a ghetto blaster placed just outside the rehearsal room, or pointing away from the amp at the other end of the bathroom. Not like a 414 1 meter away.

Brendo
March 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Exactly, a 414 one meter away from an amp still has tons of balls but also punch in bucketloads while this convolution impulse... doesn't.

Chris, what is the process to record an impulse? If it's not too complex, I could record a sample of my DSL401 combo with it's 1x12... not quite the 4x12 you're going for but neither is the sample you have.

CaptainHook
March 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I dunno, I'm hearing... comb filtering?!

My initial impression also..

Keep it up though chris! :)

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hmmm. Looks like I'm hitting the limit of what I can do with the current version if the problem still exists in the impulse. Maybe the guy who miked it was simply distance miking it, end of story? I wonder if I can find a near reflection in the source impulse, and delay an inverted copy until it cancels it out? What a clusterfuck :lol:

I think I found a reflection at 39 samples delay time... doing a version where I'm mixing in bits of the source sound inverted at that delay. I'm hoping it'll sound like altering the polar pattern of the mic to cut out the floor bounce or possibly adjacent speaker that's picking up that sound. The EV cab has one at 37 samples, instead. In-phase it neatly reinforces the comby effect without complicating it, out of phase it seems to cut it back.

Can't apply the speaker dist separately because it's a factor of the convolution impulse (i.e. softclipping the initial transient but allowing the tail to be unclipped)

eagan
March 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM
The first thing I think of in this latest MP3 sample is the high frequency crackling stuff.

One thing that comes into the picture immediately any time I ever deal with any kind of distorted guitar tones, for my tastes, is pretty much anything above maybe 8K, absolute tops, is just garbage, and it's time to roll off, chop, filter, kill, kill, kill, with extreme prejudice, with any means at my disposal. But that takes us into the area of varied tastes and "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

I'm not sure if Tom Scholz exactly represents my own idea of the greatest distorted guitar sounds, although if we kind of separate out considerations of personal tastes, I do definitely think that in whatever he did in the work he's done, he has certainly known what he was doing to get that. No doubt in my mind about that.

I know that any time you start talking about anything where some sort of dummy load power attenuator gizmo is used, some people get edgy about it, close to calling "heresy!" even.

Part of that probably revolves around the ideas that have come up about driving speakers and cabinet a certain way, although I also suspect that some of the problems people have with another factor. That is, that just sticking some sort of dummy load on an amp output really needs to take into account that speakers aren't just a pure resistive load, it's a complex impedance including inductive reactance, which brings stuff into play.

And I understand that for a lot of people driving speakers in a cabinet hard is seen as a really important part of getting the sound they're going for. But as I said, there's a line to draw between that and getting to the point where speaker drivers are hitting some mechanical limit and going "crack....splat... whack".

JLE

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM
"good morning rec-pit... the brigade says helloooo..."

So this is what happened when I targeted the apparent reflection/adjacent speaker/whatever at 39 samples out. I've got it working off the same 'mic closeness' control, and it's beating hell out of the comb filterings at very 'close' settings and relaxing that with more 'distance'. I've also got a possible buffer-length bug fix in there unrelated to the comb filtering stuff. This is all at fake 50W to not confuse things with too much overdrive.

Brief clip of dry guitar (just to remind you how difficult the task is :Twisted: ) followed by the 'closest' setting, followed by a continuous pullback to an unspecified distance that's supposed to be in the couple-o-feet area. As usual, give it hell. I think there were some improvements, and that's what I'm here to do.

Brendo
March 12th, 2007, 09:23 PM
cool, ill check it out after class.

DaveC
March 12th, 2007, 10:50 PM
the close still sounds phasey/combed and not very close. Not a sound I would use on a regular basis. The distant ones even less so, I am not sure what sort of comments you are looking for now.

I think you are on a hiding to nothing unless you start out with a better impulse. Trying to fix a dodgy one is surely just going to add more mess and confusion into the sound.

Just keep working on the speaker breakup thing or other aspects of the code till you can get a more usable impulse.

chrisj
March 12th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I'm still figuring out what it would mean to GET as close as you guys are talking about- it's possible that this model isn't meant to do that. It's kind of confusing me. Do you know any rock/metal sound references that have what you consider to be an optimal Marshall-cab sound miked the way you want to hear it miked? Right now I'm needing an example to get closer to the target, because what I'm doing isn't getting there.

Bear in mind that when the 'distant' one sounds too combed and poorly miked, that it's still nothing but a DI crap marshall pre and some numbers. I do in fact want to get the 'mic elsewhere in the room' sound- at least as an option. I'd love to be able to adjust it away again, though, and I'm not getting that by all accounts.

Jason Phair
March 12th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I'll throw my vote in for the "Chris is doing an admirable job of trying to make lemons into lemonade, but unfortunately got handed some rotten tomatoes rather than lemons" crowd.

Brendo
March 12th, 2007, 11:50 PM
the DI, crap marshall pre and the numbers dont seem to be the problem - i havent heard the latest clip though.

Maybe try these impulses:

http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=018175

chrisj
March 13th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Have you got a copy of the guy's Marshall 1960 impulses? The link is dead and the only other link in the thread was Noisevault- which is the Pipeline impulses, the same ones I got.

And again- reference to a closemiked marshall sound that's way different from what I've got?

DaveC
March 13th, 2007, 12:32 AM
The list is too massive to know where to start, and i can't remember who are using marshalls, but for close mics try 'Pure' by Helmet off Aftertaste (or any of the other songs, but that song has a great dry guitar on its own bit near the start). For out and out downtuned metal, try 'Burn My Eyes' album by Machine Head.

chrisj
March 13th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Liked the Helmet example- thanks- I've found a metal website in which users posted a big collection of cab impulses, but it presents me with a problem. It looks like there's no way to figure out who recorded these damn impulses- there's so many of them and nobody seems to have much of an idea who made them, or care.

Is this normal, having impulses just flying around the internet with nobody knowing whose they are? I'm hot to communicate with the impulse authors and compensate them for use of their efforts, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's a little stupid- it seems really unusual to be able to attribute an impulse to a specific author, or even a basic source.

Anyhow, it looks pretty likely that I'll be able to get something out of this massive collection. It's a pity they weren't also doing cabs like Princetons and Twins and such...

chrisj
March 13th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Hey, it's Christmas morning! :D

This guy Brian Hill just sent me a batch of 2*12 impulses that include a Marshall 1936 cab.

He is DA MAN, and the 4*12s have some catching up to do I think. How's this for a more effective convolution?

I'm going to be real busy tomorrow sorting through all this and trying to get new plugin guts together (the plugin actually uses hardcoded convolution impulses so I have to generate totally new code to replace the impulse, and then re-optimize everything around it- though I might be able to rework some of the code-generation stuff to spit out the correct re-named variables etc- got about five different degrees of saturation affecting the impulses.

This clip uses NONE of that. I think I'm onto a nice improvement...

DaveC
March 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Wow much much much better! I like this one.

Brendo
March 13th, 2007, 12:36 PM
much closer sounding, no strange comb filtering. i kinda liked your dry close sound before you pulled back, in your last clip...

i wonder what they would sound like together?!

Brendo
March 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Chris, i haven't heard these, but try these impulses too:

http://www.esnips.com/web/KeiffersGuitarClips

EDIT: Tried them and they ones I tried were fairly decent.

chrisj
March 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I found them too! I am about 80% of the way through sorting through all those damned options (I like the 'b' mode of creating impulses, but damn if I can find any information about what B is or where 'a b c d' comes from. C and D have leading space trimmed, I know that)

Family emergency yesterday, got in the way of working. My wife and stepkid hopped a train to New York to be with my mother-in-law, whose sister is gravely ill, apparently. I have still not heard back from them and they were supposed to call.

On the bright (and relevant) side, I was so rattled I went out and gear-shopped. Got a vaguely decent Tama doublekick pedal (which I can't actually use yet, not properly) and a Metal Zone. I'm now testing impulses out on both the 9001 pre and direct Metal Zone sounds, which have their strong points in some ways.

CaptainHook
March 14th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Metal Zone ~ to only be handled by one who REALLY knows
what the fuck they're doing. :lol:

chrisj
March 17th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Okay, I know it's been a while.

Here is a new example, which does use Metal Zone for a raw guitar sound- you hear the guitar first and then the version with the cabinet modeling. It's using one of several impulses I found workable- this one is a Greenback. I tried to get it to a similar tone to the Helmet track Pure that I was given as an example, and got pretty close (clearly greenbacks on that unaccompanied guitar from the sound of it). I've also got a Vintage 30, a GS1275, and an open-back Greenback version to do if this is working properly.

I hope this example of a cabinet model is closer to the goal than my previous ones, it's taken days to get even this. If it's good enough to go with as the current evolution of the plug, making the three other versions and putting them up for sale won't be especially hard. I have this at a fairly high level of 'wattage' and as close miked as it will get. I could put up other examples if asked.

Brendo
March 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Sounds good so far to me, how is it doubletracked panned hard?

chrisj
March 17th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I don't know because I haven't got a double guitar example, this is just from little audio snippets. Would it be that different?

Brendo
March 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
i don't suppose so, i was just wondering if you'd done anything like that, is all

chrisj
March 18th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I just did the first builds of the set of four- openback Greenback cabinet, 4*12 Greenback, Vintage 30 (like Mesa, Engl etc) and GS1275. Would you like a double-guitar example using one of these? I can do one while I tune things tomorrow. Probably Greenback or V30, right?

Brendo
March 18th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Sure - will be interesting.

chrisj
March 19th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Make that Monday or Tuesday- quick readers got that I have personal issues from HELL going on right at the moment, and Sunday was pretty much wrecked by this. I'll try to keep working...

David Aurora
March 19th, 2007, 06:24 AM
havent been able to listen to anything since i spoke to you last week dude, but it looks like things are going well so congrats! good luck with it, will have a listen myself in the next few days. hope the family stuff is ok dude

chrisj
March 26th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Sorry guys- I'm trying to keep up with this. I'm going live with the four cabinet builds as they stand, got them to where I wanted anyway.

Family situation has NOT improved. Wife is trying to take every object out of the house including the washing machine and the fuckin' wood stove. The WOOD stove. And, 2/3 of the cats. Not to have them, to take them away from me and give them to other people, apparently. Took the car today- which I figured there was no point arguing, it was hers.

I need a lawyer, yesterday. And I need money to pay for one. I'm selling off old cymbals and such, every little bit helps.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to continue to work even in spite of this- it's my best bet now. I still hope to roll 'ChannelEQ' into the free 'Channel' to support the penniless musician more. I've also been revising 'Compressor' for a user in the UK. I promise I'll keep this stuff going for people, and respond to users. I hope it goes both ways and when I try publicising my efforts (like on Harmony Central or whatever) it results in sales, so I can flag down a passing lawyer and get my ass saved before too much of it is bitten off.

Chris is in BAD trouble, please bear with me and I'll try to not let my customers slide. Anyone who was thinking of getting one of those cheap-ass plugins- couldn't hoit!

chrisj
March 26th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Here's what I'm going live with. This is all off a DI Metal Zone stompbox.

http://www.airwindows.com/m/CabGreenback.mp3
http://www.airwindows.com/m/CabOpenback.mp3
http://www.airwindows.com/m/CabVintage30.mp3
http://www.airwindows.com/m/CabGS1275.mp3

Hope some of this can move some units, that's the best I'm gonna be able to do this week, possibly this month. I can't set up the cabs in the actual store because the uploading isn't working, but in the next couple of days I'm going to get this stuff live.

David Aurora
March 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
fuck dude real sorry to hear what you're going through. can't really help as far as i know, if i had some cash id buy plugs even though i cant run AU, but im flat fucking broke and then deduct overdue bills from that figure! all i can offer is my hope that you get through this as well as you possibly can in a situation like yours. keep your head up bro

ATTICus Finch
March 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Sorry guys- I'm trying to keep up with this. I'm going live with the four cabinet builds as they stand, got them to where I wanted anyway.

Family situation has NOT improved. Wife is trying to take every object out of the house including the washing machine and the fuckin' wood stove. The WOOD stove. And, 2/3 of the cats. Not to have them, to take them away from me and give them to other people, apparently. Took the car today- which I figured there was no point arguing, it was hers.

I need a lawyer, yesterday. And I need money to pay for one. I'm selling off old cymbals and such, every little bit helps.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to continue to work even in spite of this- it's my best bet now. I still hope to roll 'ChannelEQ' into the free 'Channel' to support the penniless musician more. I've also been revising 'Compressor' for a user in the UK. I promise I'll keep this stuff going for people, and respond to users. I hope it goes both ways and when I try publicising my efforts (like on Harmony Central or whatever) it results in sales, so I can flag down a passing lawyer and get my ass saved before too much of it is bitten off.

Chris is in BAD trouble, please bear with me and I'll try to not let my customers slide. Anyone who was thinking of getting one of those cheap-ass plugins- couldn't hoit!

Let me know when you decide to go to the HC, I'm semi regular over at the HCAF forum and I'll vouche for you. They WILL jump up your ass bout a metal zone though so just a heads up. Lots of cork sniffin bedroom wankers over there. NTTATWWT
-R3

David Aurora
March 27th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Let me know when you decide to go to the HC, I'm semi regular over at the HCAF forum and I'll vouche for you. They WILL jump up your ass bout a metal zone though so just a heads up. Lots of cork sniffin bedroom wankers over there. NTTATWWT
-R3

ok, ive never been to that forum, but to be fair....metal zones are about as ghey as it gets.... :grin:

for a while there every second band that came in, independent of genre, brought one of those.

them- "ok, my rig is all set, im ready"
me- "cool, just gimme a few riffs so i can get some levels, choose mics etc"
BZZZZTSHHHHHHH
me- "fuck dude, that hurt my fucking ears. dont pull that shit if you want me to be able to hear what we're recording here. fucking asshole. jesus, that fucking hurt. what the fuck happened anyway??"
them- "uhh.....i was playing a riff...."
me- "metalzone?"
them- "yep"
me- "unplug it"

people always say its real sensitive and the eq is so full on, blah blah blah......well yeah it is. theres like 73 shades of ass in that damn pedal.

ok, thread hijack over, continue...

chrisj
March 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Well, you heard it! That's all that is in those demos- every flavor is Metal Zone dry, and then the same, with plugin. So in theory the plugin brings EVERYTHING good to the sound and the Metal Zone brings nothing :) It also means the sound heard costs only $1749.99 :D

Why $1749.99? Well, I did run the Metal Zone into a high impedance input of an API 3124+ :D

But you COULD run it into a sound blaster and it wouldn't sound wildly different, so the sound COULD cost about $150 :)