PDA

View Full Version : eventide compared - h7000 compared to eclipse

pounce
March 10th, 2007, 10:32 PM
thought i'd toss this out there. i've been happy enough with the eventide eclipse i have as a sort of better h3000. it's cleaner sounding than the h3000 by any measure, and it's usable if you don't mind starting with presets and having limited tweaking. the big appeal of it's more expensive brothers and sisters is that they have much more complex editing available, and in the case of units like the h8000 they are surround ready.

no surround work here in the foreseeable future, so stereo is fine. and really, i start with the presets and edit from there. so i haven't been unhappy with the eclipse per se. however, there is constant talk about how the bigger units, besides being more editable, also just plain sound better. whether it's clocks, converters, or whatever. also, the larger units offer some additional range of effects that are not in the eclipse and never will be.

there is a chance i could take some money and bump up to a bigger unit, perhaps a h7000. if i sell the eclipse for a fair used price and make up the difference with some of the gig money i could swing it since work is been good now. this is the time of year i figure out what to mess with.

i still use outboard dynamics and fx extensively. maybe it's because i'm an old dog about this stuff. i'm not convinced that plug ins sound better than gear like the higher end eventide. i probably couldn't justify spending the money on an h8000 right now, but a slightly older h7000 might be a nice improvement for me.

so, can anyone who has been behind the h7000 or it's kind comment on it, especially if by some chance you could compare it to the eclipse so i could get a sense of whether or not i should pick this battle right now, or just save the money for some ass kicking fast mac when the next generation of computers comes out (which is the other thing i really want to get for my personal studio space).

pounce
March 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM
so none of you bastages have a h700, h7600, or h8000? i'm trying to spend some money here!

Aardvark
March 13th, 2007, 11:47 PM
so none of you bastages ...

You fargin icehole.

Save up and get the stinkin' fast Mac.

This post confirms the need for a Johnny Dangerously thread!

Cheers,
CorksargerVark

pounce
March 14th, 2007, 12:12 AM
apparently the 8 core macs are imminent. that's a lot of real time processing for native audio. an 8 core mac coupled with a logic pro update could make things even more interesting. it's why i'm not going to upgrade my 17" powerbook, cause i want all the money and firepower to be in the studio main machine. the dual g5 main machine will become the secondary mac, and i'll sell the old dual g4 to offset a -little- of the cost. so i skipped a generation and now it's time again for monkey move up with the tin brains.

of course i'll get the both eventide and the mac.

ps: don't let my wife read this, she is the CFO of our household.

Aardvark
March 14th, 2007, 02:48 AM
...don't let my wife read this, she is the CFO of our household.

No man with as many synths as you can say that with a straight face.

Hehehehe...

Tell her I said hi.

Cheers,
NomorerumandfizzystuffVark

:Wink: :Razz: :lol:

leester
March 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM

My mother said that to me once...

Once.

:lol:

J.G.
March 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Heheh, and here I was thinkin' boats, and "Evenrude", (a name that has always cracked me up--which now could prove tres dangerous!)

Good then, carry on...

; J

Unfcknblvbl
March 14th, 2007, 05:16 PM
You fargin icehole.

Amy Heckerling's other great movie...

Flipper
March 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Pounce,

I use an eventide at college i don't recall the model it is though,
but whatever it is it sounds prtty fuckin cool.

I think it's an older one with the blue face and silver jog wheel.

I realise this dosen't help your cuase any but i will check out exactly what it is and let you know...

ggunn
March 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Pounce,

I use an eventide at college i don't recall the model it is though,
but whatever it is it sounds prtty fuckin cool.

I think it's an older one with the blue face and silver jog wheel.

I realise this dosen't help your cuase any but i will check out exactly what it is and let you know...

A friend lent me his H3000 for a bit, and I thought it was very cool. There was one preset that took the input and turned it into... well, the closest analog I can come up with is coming into your kitchen, flipping on the light, and seeing the cockroaches scurry for cover. Trippy. I used that preset live as a vocal effect for Ariel in a production of The Tempest.

pounce
March 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
the eclipse, which i have, is really like a newer cleaner h3000. some real similar presets and such. i thought the analog section of the h3000 was comparatively noisy.

the bigger eventides seem to have a lot more going on, they just start at twice the price or so. it's been said that the eclipse might do well in a guitar fx rack, but that the bigger eventides like the dsp7000 provide more for studio applications. since i'm just a tweaker of fx, i've been able to do fine with the eclipse. otoh, there seem to be things that are in the big ones that aren't in the eclipse that might be worth the price. i am still looking at those very carefully as my next bigger sized purchase is likely to be an upgrade to the bigger eventides.

Zoesch
March 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Eventides can be an addiction... I had at one point in time 2 H3000 and 1 H4000 and I was going for a FOURTH!

I think a cocaine addiction is cheaper and healthier...

Back to your question, there's no question at all... sell the Eclipse and get the H7000 you won't regret it.

Although if you decide against it, have a listen to the TC Fireworx and try to get a second hand Yamaha FS1R or a Korg Wavestation A/D... synth generated effects FTW!

pounce
March 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM
well, i have a fireworx and an wavestation ad. so i'm well on my way. i use the heck out of the fireworx, i love it. i bought it new and paid a bunch for it unlike my pcm80 and 90 which i got used. anyhow, i'll take the opportunity to get the dsp7000 in the near future i suspect.

DarkSky
April 13th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I have both an Eclipse and an H8000, so I have had the opportunity to compare them.

The Eclipse is no slouch and sounds very good. But there is no doubt that the H8000 does more and sounds even better.

I'm using the Eclipse alongside a G-Force, as the mainstays in a guitar effects rack in the studio, and there it sounds superb and handles everything with ease and grace. An H8000 would be overkill IMO in that role.

However for studio effects, the deep and weighty and shimmering sounds of the H8000 do have the edge and the additional flexibility and processing muscle is a joy.

Sounds like you're not in a position to keep both, but I can confirm that upgrading to an H7000 will make a palpable difference. :Coolio:

Tim Halligan
April 13th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Congratulations!

You get the archaeology award for unearthing a really ancient thread!

:headpalm:

Cheers,
Tim

DarkSky
April 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Congratulations!

You get the archaeology award for unearthing a really ancient thread!

:headpalm:

Cheers,
Tim

Yeah, thanks - didn't look at the year. Mea culpa. :Thumbdown:

Oh well - back to browsing.

frnjplayer
April 13th, 2010, 09:34 PM

Nil carborundum illegitamus Halligan* :grin:

* Don't let that Halligan bastard grind you down.
We like archaeology

PRobb
April 13th, 2010, 09:53 PM
You fargin icehole.

Save up and get the stinkin' fast Mac.

Cheers,
CorksargerVark
I don't understand why that movie wasn't a huge hit.
One of my favorite comedies EVER!

I love Eventide stuff for time based FX, but was never a fan of them for reverb.

Zoesch
April 14th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Don't mind him, he's from Western Australia, no additional jokes or punchlines needed :lol:

Tim Halligan
April 14th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Don't mind him, he's from Western Australia, no additional jokes or punchlines needed :lol:

...only because the Victorians won't understand them.

:D

"He who laughs last...didn't get the joke."

Cheers,
Tim

Brendo
April 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
so pounce, what did you get in the end?

Zoesch
April 15th, 2010, 01:34 AM
...only because the Victorians won't understand them.

:D

"He who laughs last...didn't get the joke."

Cheers,
Tim

Victorians are too stuck up to laugh at jokes, it's not proper nor Victorian :lol:

NB: Sydneysiders were too busy sunbathing to even care about the joke and all that was heard in Queensland, South Australia and Northern Territories was "Huh mate?"

NB2: The landmass between AU and NZ called Tasmania could not be reached for comment.

Ein Mangfaldig Kar
April 16th, 2010, 01:37 AM
ZdVHZwI8pcA

Brendo
April 17th, 2010, 03:18 AM
AHH NUUU BROOO. AHH CAN'T EAT CHUPS. KIN ONLY EAT PLINK-TON.