PDA

View Full Version : FireFly FanBoy Thread

mousdrvr
March 12th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Well since Gabby as seen fit to post something in this vain her own self. I got to thinking permaybehaps I should break down and do what I told E I wouldn't do. ( sorry E but ya outed me first bro :D )

After a disgustingly geeky, but very enjoyable PM volley with E some time back, I had to pull the DVDs off the shelf. Now this is a mixed bag for me cause basically by the time I get to "Objects In Space" , and for like the 9nth time I have to go through the whole FUCKING Kubler-Ross bullshit all over again and I don't like it not one fucking bit!

1) How the Fuck could Fox have shit canned this piece of majestic beauty? It can't be possible.

2) Naw HBO will pick it up yeah that's the ticket

3) Fucking morons at Fox! Fucking greedy pin headed examples of EVERYTHING that sucks about this world.

4) Maybe we can set up some kind subscription model and the Browncoats themselves can get a few more seasons made

5) Fuck It'll never happen the world just plain sucks CACK! I'm going to bed for a month.

6) mmmmm maybe there will be at least another couple features.

7) Ok, hell at least we had one full season and a steller movie at least it happened at all. It was a good thing.

Now the only way I can get to 7 any faster is to talk about this shit with other folks whose coats are kinda a brownish color.

So fire away This here is the FireFly Fanboy Thread!

-mous

Tim Halligan
March 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
OK - ya got me.

I'm a fanboy too.

Possibly a light at the end of a fairly bleak tunnel...

As far as I understand the machinations of the stupidity that is Hollywood, Universal signed a 3 picture deal with Mutant EnemyJoss Wheedon...soooo there should be more to come - I hope.

However, the last whisper I heard - which was extremely unreliable (ie the interwebnot...) suggested that there is a telemovie in the works because Universal would not commit to another theatrical release...even though Serenity is in profit now.

However, Serenity did not break even on theatre seats...it was DVD sales that got it over the line...so I can kinda see Universal's point here.

The other issue is timing. Joss Wheedon has been busy with directing Wonder Woman...which should be in post by this stage, and wil keep him busy for some time before he can turn his attention back to Firefly/Serenity. Similarly the cast...they obviously have to earn a crust, so they're not sitting on their asses waiting for the call. It will be the usual jigsaw puzzle trying to schedule anything.

In other words, don't expect anything anytime soon.

:Roll eyes:

Cheers,
Tim

crunch
March 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Well...

I'm not sure on the whole use of the "fanboy" phrasing (maybe it's too close to "cabin boy"... lol...), but to indicate that myself, gg and blackie live and die on this show would be pretty accurate.

This was a very expensive show to make. The good ones usually are, but this one was _really_ pricey. They didn't make their numbers, Fox, in it's infinite lack of wisdom DID NOT notice the huge fanbase forming (think X-Files II) and shitcanned it.

Internet peoples scream bloody murder, and rightfully so.

Someone said this was the first time a major motion picture had been made from a cancelled tv show, but I'm pretty sure someone's facts are screwed up somewhere... But after seeing the whole series like 20 times, I was ready for some shit to resolve.

Then along comes Serenity. Now, if someone hasn't seen the series, Serenity comes off as "pretty good", however...

If you've seen the series a couple times, Serenity comes off as what could possibly be one of the greatest scifi flicks of all time.

Killer, killer movie.

Although, every now and then, I have stress dreams that reivers are coming to get "us", and that kinda sucks. I do not want to be reiver meat. Nor do I want anyone else to be reiver meat.

Which leads to me wondering just how dangerous the whole cloned beef thing could get...

But I digress.

Because it's early.

And I can.

Still can't believe I'm Zoe and totally hot...

E. Shaun
March 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Yup, it's been six or seven months since I've viddied them all, so I think the time is nigh for me to do so again.

I can naught but echo the sentiments above though...and yet part of me prefers the fact that it was cancelled way too early than being allowed to have a seven year run whereby all the things that granted the series value were diluted and drained in the name of television business.

I thought Serenity did an excellent job of tying up a bunch of loose ends, though I never liked the inclusion of the "Mr. Universe" character...it seemed a bit too deus ex machina for my taste. It was probably some studio exec's insistence that, "Oh, this Humholtz kid's a rising star. You've gotta have him in your movie."

Anyhow...yeah. Firefly fans represent.

FajitaTone
March 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Boxe set owner here... I Love the show and the Movie kicks serious ass!!!!

When River says "ok, it's my turn" and the doors shut behind her.

What a badass!

blackieC
March 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
When River says "ok, it's my turn" and the doors shut behind her.

What a badass!

Fuckin'-A
:Thumbsup:

Johnny
March 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Love the series, love the movie. What else can I add?

I doubt we'll ever see more. Which is probably for the best...unless they can come back stronger than before it may just be a letdown. And with a couple of main characters dead it'd be really hard to do that.

ella
March 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I'm in. Awesome series, fresh approach, intelligent writing. The fact it got canned was disappointing but not too surprising.

J.G.
March 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM
As usual I have never heard of this series.

Perhaps I should check 'er out...

: J

emtou2u
March 12th, 2007, 08:41 PM
As usual I have never heard of this series.

Perhaps I should check 'er out...

: J

ditto...at mousman's throw down of a bet...and blackie's urging...i'm off to the movie house 2night to rent said DVD's...i'll return when my mission is accomplished.

gabby garcia
March 12th, 2007, 09:46 PM
i cannot stress this enough -

make sure you watch the Firefly series first, before the movie Serenity.

it makes a difference.

enjoy.
gg

DaveC
March 12th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Saw the film first, was blown away, got the TV series on DVD and discovered the show was even better than the film (in that it had more time to develop and stuff - which suited the material).

Brilliant.

emtou2u
March 12th, 2007, 10:50 PM
i cannot stress this enough -

make sure you watch the Firefly series first, before the movie Serenity.

it makes a difference.

enjoy.
gg

Set.

hey...i was upset about the red rep thang...but it looks good with your hair and my flowers...so...maybe not so bad? :lol:

J.G.
March 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I sail with the winds, not against 'em...

Or against you, Em...

RED PER---RED PER---RED PERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

; J

emtou2u
March 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Or against you, Em...

RED PER---RED PER---RED PERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

; J

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

E. Shaun
March 13th, 2007, 12:52 AM

I am a leaf on the wind...

:very happy:

FajitaTone
March 13th, 2007, 04:49 AM
I am a leaf on the wind...

:very happy:

nice. :Thumbsup:

BigBubbaJ
March 13th, 2007, 05:20 AM
I was so mad when they cancelled it.

Everyone that borrows my dvds (which reminds me I need to get them back) says the same thing.

Have you seen the movie in HD-DVD? Now that is some shit.

Tim Halligan
March 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Just caught Letterman with Chris Rock who was there shilling for his new flick "I think I love my wife"....

Gina Torres (Zoe from Firefly/Serenity) plays the wife.

No clue what the movie is about...but there ya go...

Cheers,
Tim

PS. Completely non-Firefly related... If I went on national television in the USA and spoke about African Americans the way Chris Rock speaks about "white folks" I'm fairly sure I'd get lynched at the studio door.
How come Chris Rock isn't branded a racist?

FajitaTone
March 13th, 2007, 06:23 PM
PS. Completely non-Firefly related... If I went on national television in the USA and spoke about African Americans the way Chris Rock speaks about "white folks" I'm fairly sure I'd get lynched at the studio door.
How come Chris Rock isn't branded a racist?

because he's black, and in America black people (african americans) can't be racist.
And when did we become so specific? Call a Bahamian African American and they'll punch you in the eye, same goes for Hatians, Dominicans, Cubans, etc.

And how would you know anyway?

ok, y'all can kill me now.

ffaudio
March 14th, 2007, 09:33 PM
My studio isn't called "Firefly Audio."

Okay... Fine. It is.

G. Hoffman
March 15th, 2007, 09:11 AM
This was a very expensive show to make. The good ones usually are...

Gotta (kinda) quibble with this point.

First of all, I haven't seen Firefly yet. On the basis of the recommendations here, it's on my list, but I'm short on funds right now, and I don't like renting movies if I think I'm likely to want to re-watch them (like this). (I might have to check and see if the library has them, though.)

That being said, I'm a pretty serious fanboy of Babylon 5, and the only reason they were able to make their 5 year run was because in 5 years, they never once went over budget, and (and anyone who works in production knows how amazing this is) they only ever went into overtime on the set TWICE! The first four seasons were made for about $1,000,000 an episode (the fifth season was made for LESS). At the same time, Star Trek shows had budgets of $2,000,000 an episode, almost always went over budget, and - well, OK, they looked better because they were using a mature effects technology(models on wires, etc.), and sometimes the acting in the bit parts was better - but B5's main actors were as good or better, the B5 effects department was creating[/] the digital effects revolution for television (which gave you shots you could NEVER have seen before), and it was MUCH better as Sci Fi (hence all the Hugo and Nebula awards).

So, while it is traditional for television in general to be expensive, and for Sci Fi in particular to be expensive, it doesn't have to be. The trick (at least, according to J. Michael Straczynski, who had written for a lot TV which went over budget before exec. producing one which didn't) is that you need to set schedules which are reasonable, and then actually stick to them. If you read about the original Star Trek series, you hear about the production of a scene being held up while Gene Roddenberry was in his office writing it! Seems a bad idea to me.

I guess my point is simply that, yes, great Sci Fi TV is frequently expensive, but if a producer wants to make a show which actually STAYS on the air, they need to face up to the fact that Sci Fi is a niche market, and they need to learn to make a show which is profitable for the network.

Gabriel

[i]{edited because apparently my grammar is awful when I'm on a rant}

G. Hoffman
March 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Someone said this was the first time a major motion picture had been made from a cancelled tv show, but I'm pretty sure someone's facts are screwed up somewhere...

Uh, yeah, um....Star Trek: The Motion Picture anyone?

I know, it kinda doesn't count, what with the extreme popularity the show had attained in the years it was off the air, but still...

Gabriel

emtou2u
March 16th, 2007, 02:35 AM
so i realize that tax day is um...any second, and...i should be sorting out petty cash receipts and making them into really sexy origami to seduce any potential irs agents that want to audit me...

but um...i've been spending my time trying to find this flippin' TV show!!! 2 Blockbusters and no-go. i'm sure if i venture all the way the bridge to Mike's Movie Madness i'll find it...but geez...how hard can this be? :Confused:

:D

E. Shaun
March 16th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Buy, buy, buy! (http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Ron-Glass/dp/B0000AQS0F/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0153682-4548055?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1174013063&sr=1-1)

Seriously...how can you do better than an entire TV series for a mere $30? Think of it this way: you'd pay more on a hardcover novel. Or an oil change. And it will be more fulfilling than either, I promise.

gabby garcia
March 16th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Buy, buy, buy! (http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Ron-Glass/dp/B0000AQS0F/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0153682-4548055?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1174013063&sr=1-1)

Seriously...how can you do better than an entire TV series for a mere $30? Think of it this way: you'd pay more on a hardcover novel. Or an oil change. And it will be more fulfilling than either, I promise.

seriously!

watch once - you will want to watch again.

Tim Halligan
March 16th, 2007, 01:17 PM
seriously!

watch once - you will want to watch again.

Word.

I just watched the series again this week for the eighth or ninth timein the last 12 months, and this evening my entertainment will be...Serenity.

However, the 4 series of Farscape and The Peacekeeper Wars are starting to demand equal time...

Shiny.

Cheers,
Tim

mousdrvr
March 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Word.

I just watched the series again this week for the eighth or ninth timein the last 12 months, and this evening my entertainment will be...Serenity.

However, the 4 series of Farscape and The Peacekeeper Wars are starting to demand equal time...

Shiny.

Cheers,
Tim

Farscape and FireFly?

:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

If we had Goats in the smiles list I'd post'em at ya!

Skwaidu
March 17th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks to all you fanboys I went out and bought the series and the movie... I was not dissapointed in the least! Instantly became one of my favourite shows ever! ;)

Very weird that the series got cancelled. It being awesome and all... :Confused:

FajitaTone
March 17th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Thanks to all you fanboys I went out and bought the series and the movie... I was not dissapointed in the least! Instantly became one of my favourite shows ever! ;)

Very weird that the series got cancelled. It being awesome and all... :Confused:

that's hollywood for ya.

mousdrvr
March 17th, 2007, 07:13 AM

That's how it goes! we buy, we binge, we understand.

Very glad you liked it! :Thumbsup:

-mous

Tim Halligan
April 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM
And now for something completely different...

I went down to my local video rental shop, and there on the shelves was the 3rd season of Babylon 5. So I borrowed the first set of DVD's which has the first 8 eps of that season...

Talk about not aging gracefully... :Roll eyes:

Yikes.

I remember liking it when it was on the idiot box...but that was back in the mid-90's.

Cheers,
Tim

FajitaTone
April 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
And now for something completely different...

I went down to my local video rental shop, and there on the shelves was the 3rd season of Babylon 5. So I borrowed the first set of DVD's which has the first 8 eps of that season...

Talk about not aging gracefully... :Roll eyes:

Yikes.

I remember liking it when it was on the idiot box...but that was back in the mid-90's.

Cheers,
Tim

I have to admit being sucked into the new Battlestar Galactica. NetFlix'd Season 1, 2, 2.5... 3 is on SciFi and my DVR. :very happy:

blackieC
April 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM
So I was watching it again for the eleventy billionth time because I am part vampire and can't sleep and just got to the end of the "Train Job" episode.

When Mal kicks "face tatoo" dude into the engine of the Firefly at 39:37, man.. that's just brilliant.

FFFBPV*

*Fireflyfanboyporvida

crunch
April 6th, 2007, 01:48 AM
:lol:

It was a very effective bartering tool. I need to be more like Mal. I just don't have any giant engines lying around. Running. With which to push bad guys into.

:Thumbsup:

blackieC
May 5th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I am SOOOOOO totally bumping this thread because...

A. I am basking in the warm glow of making a few co-workers browncoat converts that now also enjoy the greatest show that never was.

B. I have allowed myself to become an automaton to the powers of a certain Highland Park twelve year single malt that was suggested to me scant hours ago by a liqour emporium drone that gave the impression of being quite knowledgeable regarding the whisky.

Highland Park: tasty, but it will not divert me from purchase of Macallan in the future.

C: Drunk posting aside, it was the best show that FOX should be kicked square in the nuts for killing.

E. Shaun
May 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Drunk posting aside, it was the best show that FOX should be kicked square in the nuts for killing.

"...does that seem right to you?"

ella
May 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I am SOOOOOO totally bumping this thread because...

A. I am basking in the warm glow of making a few co-workers browncoat converts that now also enjoy the greatest show that never was.

B. I have allowed myself to become an automaton to the powers of a certain Highland Park twelve year single malt that was suggested to me scant hours ago by a liqour emporium drone that gave the impression of being quite knowledgeable regarding the whisky.

Highland Park: tasty, but it will not divert me from purchase of Macallan in the future.

C: Drunk posting aside, it was the best show that FOX should be kicked square in the nuts for killing.

Ummmm... before you write off the Highland Park, try the 18 yr. This is a scotch that ages well, unlike many (surprisingly). You might like it.

As far as the show cancellation, I don't really know what that indicates about FOX or society or agendas etc. and I don't want to jump on the first cynical thought that I have as if it conclusively explains anything. Maybe now that the internet can act as an independent promotion/distribution avenue, these type of shows and movies will get to their target audience more efficiently and not be subject to focus groups and the lowest common denominator factor as it relates to viewer-ship.

Fingers crossed......

Johnny
May 5th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I've heard they already cancelled drive too. Nathan must feel like bashing his head against a wall.

Tim Halligan
May 6th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Talking of sequels...

..well, more like talking of talking of sequels...

I found this on Wiki:

Fans of Firefly had hoped that if Serenity was successful, it might lead either to a revival of the television series or a film franchise (colloquially referred to as the "Big Damn Trilogy", or BDT). The former was always unlikely, since Fox still owns the Firefly television rights and Joss Whedon refuses to work for Fox again. Fans' hopes for further theatrical films appear to have been partially dashed by Serenity's mediocre box office showing. However, on December 1, 2005, IGN Filmforce reported that Universal had expressed an interest in making a Serenity TV movie for broadcast on the Sci Fi Channel (which is owned by Universal), and eventual DVD sale. It is expected that commissioning of a television sequel would be contingent on strong DVD sales of Serenity.

On June 23, 2006 a number of fans organized and spread word of "Serenity Day," on which all fans were proposed to purchase a copy of Serenity in an attempt to convince Universal that a sequel would be profitable. The significance of this day is that June 23, 2006, is the one-year anniversary of the third and final advance screening of Serenity prior to its release, and also Joss Whedon's birthday. The impact of the event could be seen from Serenity reaching #2 in the Amazon DVD Charts. the highest ranking the DVD reached since January 16, 2006.

On October 1, 2006, Whedon posted a comment to the Whedonesque.com website, responding to a rumor that he was currently working on a sequel to Serenity. He wrote, "There's no sequel, no secret project regarding Serenity or somesuch and I'm not even sure how anyone thought there was talk there. I've seen Nathan and Tim (and Summer and Alan) recently because they're my friends because I'm so, yeah, awesome. So let's put that to bed and smother it with a pillow."

Whedon's response to the rumor consequently sparked many websites to publish articles stating that he would never work on a sequel to Serenity. Joss again returned to Whedonesque.com to respond to the new stories and wrote, "Holy Mother of Oats! I turn my back for five minutes (that's how long it takes to admire my lovely back) and the interweb goes banoonoos! Isn't there any ACTUAL news to get wrong? Sorry about all this; it might be best if I just stay off the computer for a while....Here's a thing: when Firefly was cancelled, my heart got broke. Sounds a bit much, but it changed me. Not even Serenity could patch that wound. I'm wearier, warier -- after all those years as a movie writer, you'd think I'd be prepared for another lesson on my unimportance in the scheme of things, but I wasn't....All these rumor of projects or the death of projects... When the two worlds align and something actually happens, whatever it is, you guys know I'll be on this site as soon as I'm allowed to be. And I'll be very very clear. There is no news. Not never, just now."

So...in a nutshell...damn. :Cry:

Cheers,
Tim

nobby
May 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
If you read about the original Star Trek series, you hear about the production of a scene being held up while Gene Roddenberry was in his office writing it! Seems a bad idea to me.

[/i]
Dayam, and I thought writing songs in a studio was a bad idea...

and it is, but a couple of AEs and a few musos vs. a film crew, cast, extras...

Then again, with a bonafide hit series, you've got the residuals, dolls, lunch boxes, followed by movies, next generation...

G. Hoffman
June 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
OK, now THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDehMmZ98w) is too fucking funny!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gabriel

gabby garcia
June 25th, 2007, 03:58 PM
i prefer this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgdFY4UU1S4&mode=related&search=)
:Twisted:

Johnny
June 26th, 2007, 04:04 AM
In related geekery, I just got the Space: Above and Beyond sries on DVD.

G. Hoffman
February 1st, 2010, 04:44 AM
Sorry to dig up a long dead thread, but I needed to share this with the rest of you Firefly FanBoys (and girls).

http://i47.tinypic.com/1zev4ll.gif

YoSaphBridg may send me to the special hell anytime she wants.

Gabriel

blackieC
February 1st, 2010, 06:08 AM
Just remember, no kissing.

And if she tries to kill you, you try to kill her right back.

G. Hoffman
February 1st, 2010, 12:11 PM

Well, of course. I want to keep my ship!

Gabriel

Tim Halligan
February 1st, 2010, 01:21 PM

And if she tries to kill you, you try to kill her right back.

Score check:

Blackie: 2

Tim: 1

mous: 0

Cheers,
Tim

mousdrvr
February 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Score check:

Blackie: 2

Tim: 1

mous: 0

Cheers,
Tim

Tim

My days of not taking you seriously are definitely coming to a middle.

-mous