PDA

View Full Version : Savoy Brown

ggunn
March 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I caught a show Friday night of the latest incarnation of Savoy Brown. I've been a fan of Kim Simmonds and Co. since before some of you guys were born, and I gotta say that that geezer can still play. He has been touring and recording with the Savoy Brown name constantly since the late 60's, and the latest version is a lean power trio. I thoroughly enjoyed the show, only being a little disappointed that there were no keyboards. They mixed it up well, splitting the performance between the classics and newer material. Simmonds' guitar work still amazes me.

They played two full hour sets, and they hung around the merch table between sets and after the show, so I was able to talk to Mr. Simmonds for a bit and reminisce a bit about the old A Warehouse (New Orleans) shows they played in the early 70's.

The show was at a smallish outdoor venue on a cloudless cool night. It was a most enjoyable evening.

Aardvark
March 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I'll be sure to "Tell Mama, and all the folks back home..."

Big fan.

Street Corner Talkin' is my fave.

Cheers,
Aardvark

ggunn
March 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'll be sure to "Tell Mama, and all the folks back home..."

Big fan.

Street Corner Talkin' is my fave.

Cheers,
Aardvark

Yeah, they opened the show with SCT and the second set with Tell Mama. I saw them in New Orleans in 1972 when they were on the SCT/Hellbound Train tour; man, what a show that was.

I've got most of their stuff on a combination of CD, vinyl, casette, and 8 track tape. ;^)

archtop
March 12th, 2007, 05:27 PM
That fuckin' Aardvark.

I outta kick his wang dang doodle.

All night long.

Bob Olhsson
March 19th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Did those guys ever have a hit outside of Detroit? They were about the biggest band there was in Detroit during the late '60s but I always understood they couldn't draw flys anywhere else in the US.

Tim Armstrong
March 19th, 2007, 02:05 PM
A cousin of mine from Chicago was/is a huge fan, I guess they play there yearly. He probably hasn't missed a show in 30 years, and Kim Simmons greets him by name at the gigs.

Simmons apparently moved to Cleveland back in the 80s, I think he's still based there...

Cheers, Tim