PDA

View Full Version : Hey Spock.....

David Aurora
March 13th, 2007, 11:25 AM
....I got an electronics question and I don't think we have one of those threads here.

I've been using the fuck out of my opto lately and I've noticed it's getting a little noisier these days. Still works great but the hiss is getting a bit too much.

Is there anything in particular to look for when there's hiss involved? Are there certain components in circuits that are usual suspects for shoving hiss into the signal or anything? Or is it just a case of a bunch of noise getting into a unit from a bunch of places usually? Hum I understand a little better and have a few ideas how to vanquish that demon when it pops up, but hiss seems like a cunt to get rid of cause I don't really understand it

Brendo
March 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
how old's it?

in my very very limited understanding the caps would be the first place to look, YMMV.

David Aurora
March 13th, 2007, 03:48 PM
how old's it?

in my very very limited understanding the caps would be the first place to look, YMMV.

how old.....well......most of it has flathead screws, thats how old :lol: :lol: :lol:

hehe nah it aint exactly vintage as far as i know, and it was racked and serviced by joe malone about 4 years ago anyway. if it was just a recap i wouldnt at all be scared to DIY, so maybe thats a project in the near future. ill post some pics next time i rip that badboy open, its cool as fuck.

Spock
March 14th, 2007, 12:39 AM
It's kind of hard to try to figure what it could remotely.

If hum got worse with age than I'd think about a re-cap as the first thing.

Depending a cap leaking could bring up the noise level depending on exactly where it is. You haven't moved or put any new equipment new it? The RFI tossed out by a lot of digital units would be like a hiss.

The other thing to look for a missing/bad shield or ground.

A tube going bad can also give you more noise.

All that being said maccool just ran into a strange one, noise level that changed, up and down at different times. The unit had a switching power supply that according the maker gets noisier when the mains drop too low.

Then of course are sure you are just not spanking the thing more and more over time, using more make up gain and nring up the noise level?

magicchord
March 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM
...sure you are just not spanking the thing more and more...

I fail to see what that has to do with his compressor...

OK, Sorry, Couldn't Resist.

David Aurora
March 15th, 2007, 06:58 AM
hehehe

ok i might pop it open and have a look around next time i get a chance. no new gear near it. not a hum, just more and more hiss as time goes on. oh yeah, not a tube its solid state

hey maybe that could be a new status here- "spanking the thing more and more"