PDA

View Full Version : Crown DC300A

rockdart
March 23rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
I got a chance to pick up a Crown DC300A off of craigslist for $50, but it's missing some transistors.

Anybody have an idea of what this repair might run?

Here's the listing (http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/298844793.html) (has pretty pictures in it)

Thanks in advance...

archtop
March 23rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
My Crown DC300A

Is all distorted for 'bout an hour if it gets turned off.

So I leave it on.

Don't know if that helps

Bob Olhsson
March 25th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I don't know the particulars of the DC-300A but at least Crown is still in business and may have parts.

It's ironic, you can still buy all of the parts and tubes for a 90 year old first generation power amp while a ten year old solid state power amp can be totally unrepairable. Digital stuff is even more disposable.

dwoz
March 27th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'll look at my DC300a and see if I can read some part numbers...

dwoz

crunch
March 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Rockdart,

$50 is an amazing deal. Get a soldering iron, the guys will help you out with capacitor ratings and you'll be done in about an hour.

Get yer hands dirty!

:Thumbsup:

ckerian
March 27th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Rockdart,

$50 is an amazing deal. Get a soldering iron, the guys will help you out with capacitor ratings and you'll be done in about an hour.

Get yer hands dirty!

:Thumbsup:

I have a dc300a myself here at the studio and we can use it to check values, etc if he wants to bring his over. i aint got the schematic though. I do know he has it in his hands and it's missing two transitors. $50? pfftt. Of course it wouldn't hurt to bring it into StubbyFex here in Denver. they dc300a fans and have worked on mine before and have always been good to me.

Bob Olhsson
March 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

magicchord
March 27th, 2007, 11:44 PM
How does it smell?
That's a serious question.

ckerian
March 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM
VERY USEFUL service and user manuals Bob. Gonna print them as soon as I can.

Bob Olhsson
March 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Google is an amazing resource!

eagan
March 30th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Um, you know, Magic wasn't kidding, there.

How does it smell? An up close and personal inspection is in order.

There is a clue in that.

In other words, a couple of transistors don't just stand up one day, announce their retirement, and leave. There is a reason they aren't in there.

This isn't necessarily just a matter of popping in a pair of new components and sailing off into the sunset.

JLE

ckerian
March 30th, 2007, 04:39 PM
This isn't necessarily just a matter of popping in a pair of new components and sailing off into the sunset.

No, thats why he decided when he got it he would send it into the shop before he even attempted to fire it up.