PDA

View Full Version : Dick Dale tells it like it is...

Tim Armstrong
March 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Dick Dale, in a short interview about the music business:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yJNnLIPZ_n4

...and since we're talking Dick Dale, here he is about 40+ years ago on the Ed Sullivan show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mmajn6N2Wc&NR

Cheers, Tim

J.G.
March 24th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the link, Tim.

mega-cheers,

: J

mousdrvr
March 24th, 2007, 05:24 PM
:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

What a fucking stud!

I think he's exactly right. All the cats I know who are actually making money at this shit, with the exception of 2, are all DIY. and they all say the biggest secret is to simply aim just a little lower materially and to accept it as a pretty humble, if extremely satisfying job.

Thanks for that Tim

-mous

Webs
March 24th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Encore!

Cosmic Pig
March 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I love Dick.

Spock
March 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I love Dick.

Isn't that Kenny's line? :grin:

majorkong
March 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I love Dick.

NTTAWWT

:Twisted:

0hs0
March 25th, 2007, 01:53 PM
What's really fucked up is he plays with the strings upside down!!

drummertom
March 25th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I'm glad someone else noticed that! Guitar rightside up, strings upside down, now that's original!

binaural turbine
March 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
oh my god, he is the man.

"And that is why the system hates Dick Dale"

:Thumbsup:

dwoz
March 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
It seems that we MAY be moving into the era when a workin' joe can make a reasonable hard-scrabble living off his music...out of an era when you either went double platinum, or NOTHING.

who knows? maybe.

dwoz

mousdrvr
March 25th, 2007, 11:59 PM
It seems that we MAY be moving into the era when a workin' joe can make a reasonable hard-scrabble living off his music...out of an era when you either went double platinum, or NOTHING.

who knows? maybe.

dwoz

A few weeks back Bob made a post about the state of the business, and it reminded me of good buddy of mine. He's something of a god in the Ambient/Techno scene, and while he has a huge amount of humor and perspective about that, It's brought him a lot of clarity about how to actually make a buck. He and Bob are friends btw. Anyway, I rang him up and we went on the yak for good while. Among other things, I asked him about downloaded music. He loves it as a distribution mechanism but completely can't be bothered with the piracy issue, although of course he doesn't like it. He said in essence "Well I'm clear that I make my living from my FANS these people are essentially like patrons and really they are looking for ways to keep me going. People who are going to pirate my stuff aren't fans, so I can't really afford to spend time worrying about them I have to devote my efforts to my fans" That's a paraphrase, of course, but it's the gist. This cat often claims that one of the secrets of his "success" is that he treats his career as a craft and that he is comfortable making around the same money as union plumber.

When I told him about this place, he was very encouraged, more so when I told him that collectively we are trying to make the network stronger by getting face to face as much as possible. He liked that idea. He's way Techno but he knows that the production and consumption of music are governed primarily by visceral impulses. Hearing this, I was struck by the following thought. This network, by which I mean the larger "meta" social and professional network of AE's and Musicians, of which The Womb is now the principle exponent, is not a mass phenomenon. It's actually a "grassroots" phenomenon which uses technology and specifically the Internet as its principle, but not its only, method of maintaining cohesion.

For a while I couldn't see this because I was blinded by two strong cultural assumptions, ones with which I don't even consciously agree.

1) If it's Internet it must be targeted toward the masses if it is to "succeed."

That is, once you have identified a potential niche market the first thing you should try to do is turn it into a mass market. WTF!? It doesn't make sense but that's the way of it. Especially out here in the Valley. Where enough is just fucking never enough. If you don't crave more with the sweat and desperation of that craving pouring off you like a stink, you're are a loser. At least the young turks right out of Stanford B school won't even talk to you because you'll not likely burn a year of your life coding their Ajax enhanced myspace killer for options.

2) If it's a global market it must be a mass market.

I think this is just historical. I mean for over a hundred years if you had stuff you we're moving across the world you had to do it on a very large scale or it just didn't make sense modulo the super premium luxury shit.

I now believe that whatever is going on "here" and what Dick is saying are part of the same growing awareness. An awareness that in some ways things are as they have always been, we need meaningful connection with "our" people. I think Bob has been trying to say this for quite a while. So yes Dwoz, I believe you are correct. Perhaps it is possible after all.

Thanks again Tim for putting that up.

-mous