PDA

View Full Version : When great bands....aren't

David Aurora
March 30th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I'm so disappointed right now. I just heard a pile of the new silverchair album on their myspace.

I'm not one of those guys who hates every new record a band releases until it becomes their old stuff, and I understand that they have made a record that they like and are great musicians......and I was over the fucking moon when I heard that Nick Launay was doing the record, he's fucking awesome, and Neon Ballroom is pretty much my favourite album of all time......

....but so far.....I fucking hate this record..... :lol:

Goddamn I hate when that happens. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm sure lot's of people will love it and I have no doubt in my mind that they're a great band (I've seen them live shitloads of times and they are phenomanal).....but as I was going through the songs I kept thinking "oh god....I hope this is a pre-release prank....please let it be a prank.......".

I've heard people say it's like the Dissociatives...but I like the Dissociatives and I wouldn't say the new album is like that. But...it's much more like that......and when you have a band like Silverchair, especially with a drummer like Ben Gillies......what the fuck would possess you to make a record like this????

Still....I'm not saying they suck or anything, I hope it all goes well for them.....it's purely a different taste thing......but I had to vent cause the band that wrote my favourite album and have consistently blown my mind wide open just totally made me hit the mute button. :Cry:

Tim Halligan
March 30th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Still....I'm not saying they suck or anything

I am.

They do.

Anything with that fruitloop Daniel Johns in it will suck beyond the ability of mere mortals like us to comprehend...despite the best efforts of Nick Launay.

Cheers,
Tim

ggunn
March 30th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I'm so disappointed right now. I just heard a pile of the new silverchair album on their myspace.

I'm not one of those guys who hates every new record a band releases until it becomes their old stuff, and I understand that they have made a record that they like and are great musicians......and I was over the fucking moon when I heard that Nick Launay was doing the record, he's fucking awesome, and Neon Ballroom is pretty much my favourite album of all time......

....but so far.....I fucking hate this record..... :lol:

Goddamn I hate when that happens. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm sure lot's of people will love it and I have no doubt in my mind that they're a great band (I've seen them live shitloads of times and they are phenomanal).....but as I was going through the songs I kept thinking "oh god....I hope this is a pre-release prank....please let it be a prank.......".

I've heard people say it's like the Dissociatives...but I like the Dissociatives and I wouldn't say the new album is like that. But...it's much more like that......and when you have a band like Silverchair, especially with a drummer like Ben Gillies......what the fuck would possess you to make a record like this????

Still....I'm not saying they suck or anything, I hope it all goes well for them.....it's purely a different taste thing......but I had to vent cause the band that wrote my favourite album and have consistently blown my mind wide open just totally made me hit the mute button. :Cry:

I felt the same way about Led Zep III when it came out... ;^)

Bivouac
March 30th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I heard the new single, and yeah, it's definitely a departure. I'm just not sure I can comment on whether or not it's a good or bad departure. I'm not sure what kind of success Silverchair has in Australia, but they haven't been relevent in the 'States in ten years...

I tend to embrace change. The bands that release the same record five times are the ones that piss me off...

Brendo
March 30th, 2007, 11:12 PM
This is the first Silverchair stuff that I've used the work "pukeworthy" to describe... and I save that one for special occasions.

I mean... Diorama grew on me. I hated it at first but it grew on me, because essentially it was Silverchair.... with orchestra.

But this? Is this a bad Eskimo Joe cover band? There's too many bands already doing this sort of thing, Silverchair didn't need to as well. And Silverchair aren't even doing it well!

robmacki
March 31st, 2007, 04:02 AM
I felt the same way about Led Zep III when it came out... ;^)
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp was the redeeming song.

I felt that way when "The Wall" came out.
Don't shoot!! To me after "Wish You Were Here" they just didn't have the Floyd vibe anymore. Maybe because "The Wall" is over played. Or maybe because they were trying to recapture "Meddle".
Or maybe I just don't know.

ggunn
April 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp was the redeeming song.

I felt that way when "The Wall" came out.
Don't shoot!! To me after "Wish You Were Here" they just didn't have the Floyd vibe anymore. Maybe because "The Wall" is over played. Or maybe because they were trying to recapture "Meddle".
Or maybe I just don't know.

I'm with you on that one. The Wall just kinda turned me off; I believe it was all the Roger Waters' grotesque imagery and stuff that did it to me. My favorite Floyd stuff is still WYWH, Meddle, and Ummagumma.

bunnerabb
April 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Echoes is still a benchmark that the most precious art band hasn't gotten near, but if you get off the bus, you give up. Sometimes you roll by a few boring stops to get where you're going.

Sometimes you should have gotten off the bus.

Floyd's catalogue is probably in the top 3 with the Beatles and Motown for longevity but Silverchair never were more than a flash in the pan and they should have gotten off the bus years before this.

eagan
April 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
I think it's par for the course that even with a band you like a whole huge heaping bunch, there's a chance they might put one out that leaves you cold.

I mean, I've been a hardcore Yes fan for over three decades, but one day I went to a record store, came home with a fresh shiny newly released copy of "Tormato", and spent about the next week walking around mumbling to myself "what? is this some fucking sadistic joke?".

It can happen.

Sometimes stuff can grow on you after a while, too.

(Um. OK. Just in case you were wondering about what I just said, and the previous thing about "Tormato". No. It hasn't. Still an absolutely wretched piece of shit.)

JLE

Spock
April 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
I mean, I've been a hardcore Yes fan for over three decades, but one day I went to a record store, came home with a fresh shiny newly released copy of "Tormato", and spent about the next week walking around mumbling to myself "what? is this some fucking sadistic joke?".

Love that band also. However Tales From Topographic Oceans was the one that made me go WTF were those guys thinking when they made this thing.