PDA

View Full Version : Why is Simon Cowell making such a fuss?

magicchord
March 30th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Sanjaya Malakar is exactly What He Wants!
He's a good-looking kid, young, not savvy, easily exploited, not much of a singer but good enough to be Autotuned into a viable commercial product. I bet inwardly Simon's rooting for him.

Here's a related article: http://suicidegirls.com/news/culture/20797/

Mixerpuppet
March 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Sanjaya Malakar is exactly What He Wants!
He's a good-looking kid, young, not savvy, easily exploited, not much of a singer but good enough to be Autotuned into a viable commercial product. I bet inwardly Simon's rooting for him.

Here's a related article: http://suicidegirls.com/news/culture/20797/

heh heh...

2 of the 3 components of stardom are in Sanjayas corner, charisma and fan base.

I read an article where his "choir teacher" said he was holding back as if he was intimidated but I also inclined to think he thinks he should have gone but wants to see how far he can get with just fans keeping him afloat.

Another idea is that Idol fans are revolting against Simon and his relentless cruelty. :lol:

Tim Armstrong
March 30th, 2007, 08:58 PM
It's all "theatre". Drama makes for ratings, ratings make for advertising dollars, advertising dollars make for a hefty paycheck for.... Simon.

'nuff said!

Cheers, Tim

CurtZHP
March 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Another idea is that Idol fans are revolting......

'nuff said!

Calvin
March 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I actually enjoy watching the show with my kids, who are otherwise completely uninterested in my passion for music. However, this is getting painful and I don't know how much more I can take. The fan base is about to dwindle by one.

Bob Olhsson
March 31st, 2007, 12:47 AM
Millions tune in every week to see if Simon is going to lose it again and trip over his manhood.

The thing is orchestrated and edited to death. Cheap PC-based video editing created the whole "reality" genre and it pays off in bigger profits than any other kind of TV program in history. The previous title holder was the quiz show.

jerryskid
March 31st, 2007, 02:32 AM
It's a small budget, big profit project.....the #1 show in the country that probably has a budget of 1 or 2 million.....and tack on the fact that the finalists tour afterwards for around $50 a pop.....pretty good for a kareoke show..........

Tim Halligan
March 31st, 2007, 03:17 AM
The thing is orchestrated and edited to death. Cheap PC-based video editing created the whole "reality" genre and it pays off in bigger profits than any other kind of TV program in history. The previous title holder was the quiz show.

Hell yeah! :Twisted:

Right on the money as usual.

Cheers,
Tim

G. Hoffman
March 31st, 2007, 05:15 AM
I am quite proud to say, I have absolutely no fucking clue what you are talking about.

YEAH for not watching stupid "reality" television!

Gabriel

gabby garcia
March 31st, 2007, 05:57 AM
imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
~Jules de Gaultier

nobby
March 31st, 2007, 11:59 PM
If I were in prison and there was no possibility of parole, I would be a regular watcher of that program. Maybe. If I lost my library and shop privileges. And became a paraplegic during an ill fated escape attempt.

Anyway, Will Hung, or whatever his name is proved beyond any doubt that the most important quality by far in attaining stardom is publicity. Followed by tenacity, with talent coming up a distant third.

lebouche
April 1st, 2007, 12:04 AM
I was giong to post but I guess you are mostly all a season ahead. I heard there was an amazing girl on American Idol who's just great every performance.
Don't believe a word but.....ya never can tell maybe theres truth in the rumour.

nobby
April 1st, 2007, 12:47 AM
Coincidentally, I called my mom today and she asked me who was in charge of the website that hosted the Cape project ( I had mentioned it in passing earlier).

nob: "Why do you ask?"

mom: " I saw this man interviewed on tv... I can't remember his name. He was mean, and he became a billionaire in the music industry even though he doesn't know anything about music.

nob: "Simon Cowell."

mom: "That's it! You're not involved with him, are you?"

nob: "Don't worry, we're not involved with that man."

mom: "Oh, good!"

:grin:

lebouche
April 1st, 2007, 12:52 AM
I think he could be nicer to people...break it gently. BUT most the time I think he lets through stuff I'd say no to. Guess he needs there to be a show. I had a few mundane words with with him and he seems vaugely pleasent. I'd let through 1% of what he does.

Dislcaimer I have nothing to do with him apart from selling him an amp and sorting out his stereo so don't set your mom on me.

nobby
April 1st, 2007, 01:25 AM
I think he could be nicer to people...break it gently. BUT most the time I think he lets through stuff I'd say no to. Guess he needs there to be a show. I had a few mundane words with with him and he seems vaugely pleasent. I'd let through 1% of what he does.

Dislcaimer I have nothing to do with him apart from selling him an amp and sorting out his stereo so don't set your mom on me.

I hope you charged him 6 figures for that amp!

Anyway, there would be no show if they culled the untalented from the herd. It's about entertainment, or more specifically, ratings, not a search for excellence. A soap opera minus the so called plot and acting. At least that's the impression I got from watching half of one show once.

Cowell had said in one of his ubiquitous interviews that they do make a dilligent effort to weed out people who are faking their belief in their talent. I guess they want them to be genuinely crestfallen when they're rejected, perhaps to satisfy the schadenfreude of the sweaty masses.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, I don't actually watch the program. And pardon me while I vomit.

Oh, that reminds me. Cowell loves to drive race cars, and on a program, they had him do a few laps around a track. When he was done, they had a few Nascar drivers critique him. You could see that they (tv producers) had not told him about this aspect of the show in advance.

The Nascar drivers tore him a new one, and you could tell he was very unpleased about it. Obviously not accustomed to having the shoe on the other foot, and having it kicking his ass :lol:

Then he "got it". Now, THAT was entertaining!

mousdrvr
April 1st, 2007, 07:51 AM
the schadenfreude of the sweaty masses.

Woah, Nobby, eloquent!

magicchord
April 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah, my post was meant to be ironic. Idol is such a crock. I'm not watching it this year, but it's hard to miss the clips of Sanjaya on YouTube, heehee.

G. Hoffman
April 2nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
...but it's hard to miss the clips of Sanjaya on YouTube, heehee.

I don't know, I've managed to miss them completely.

:D

Gabriel

bunnerabb
April 2nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Why is Simon Cowell making such a fuss?

His job is "Self-important, sarcastic, posturing twat".

That's why.

ggunn
April 2nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
I don't know, I've managed to miss them completely.

:D

Gabriel

I am also proud to say that I have never watched more than about 5 minutes by accident of any sort of "reality" television. There is absolutely no reality in reality television, and even less entertainment.

DSFDF and YMMV, of course.

I do appreciate that it's a great racket, though.