PDA

View Full Version : itunes selling drm free music now

pounce
April 2nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
so today's announcement from a joint venture between apple and emi is that all of the emi songs and videos will be available without drm from itunes. also, non drm stuff is being encoded at a higher quality rate. so now it's twice the quality with no drm. all emi video's have no drm, the songs are going to be available with or without. the current versions, with drm, remain at the current price, but there it costs a little more for the "premium" higher quality encoded non drm tracks. anyone who already owns standard versions of the tracks can upgrade to the non drm version at higher quality for .30, you aren't forced to rebuy the tracks. if you don't care about this, you can still buy the standard tracks for the same price.

after the overtures that were made about apple being willing to embrace a non drm system, i'm thrilled to see them putting their money where their mouths are. this is a good move for a lot of reasons, and i expect other labels to follow suit. the precedent has been set.

i've always hated piracy more than i've minded drm, so i've put up with it. buy for a variety of obvious reasons, non drm audio tracks seems more like the future and is the right idea to embrace. i've liked itunes the whole time i've used it, and frankly it's just gotten better and better as far as i'm concerned. more tracks, higher quality, and no drm really top it off nicely for me.

Brendo
April 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
not until may, 30 cent premium, whole albums are same price.

volthause
April 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
This doesn't make any fucking sense. Why better quality for non-drm?

So you pay an extra .30, get better sound quality, and you can give better copies to all your friends!!!

Fuck Itunes.

I want the CD.